Pearl Drummers Forum - Powered by vBulletin

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. KCCO

Dont forget that Neil coated the inside shell of his drums with vibrafibe....or something like that. It was a coating of fiberglass that he was quoted as saying made his drums sound more focused....does he still do that to the DW's?
    Mapex Saturn Pro - Transparent Cherry
    DW Super Solid Snare
    Sabian, Zildjian, Meinl and Wuhan

2. I'll Be Watching You!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Elements
    Dont forget that Neil coated the inside shell of his drums with vibrafibe....or something like that. It was a coating of fiberglass that he was quoted as saying made his drums sound more focused....does he still do that to the DW's?
    Well what it was is that his shells were Vibrafied, and all that is was a thin layer of fibreglass sheet bonded to the inside of the shells, Neil wasn't the only one to do this it's just that his equipment was talked about the most.

Dave...
    "All the world's indeed a stage, and we are merely players"

3. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by MilesAway View Post
    This is all from Rush: Tribute, an official book sanctioned by the band.

For the Moving Pictures album, Neil had a '79 Tama Superstar. There were 6, 8, and 10 concert toms, as well as 8x12, 9x13, 12x15 and 16x18 (floor) toms. His kicks were 14x24, and his snare was his 'Old Faithful' 5x14 Slingerland. He had 20 and 22 gong basses, and 13 and 14 timbales. He used Remo Weatherking CS Black Dot heads or Ludwig Silver Dot Rockers on top, and Evans Hydraulics on the bottom.

Neil was quoted as saying that he tunes the bottom head to the purest most musical note using the star technique, then tunes the top head to the bottom. Neil did tune his toms relatively high for the time (for a rock drummer)...His floor tom was usually tuned quite low.

Basically, traditional tom sizes, thick heads, tuned high, top and bottom to the same note.
    Thanks! I recently tuned my toms to the same pitch (top & bottom) and thought "man that sounds like Neil!" I had to find out if I was correct and I happened upon your post.

4. Registered User

Holy necrothread Batman.

5. Drumming Since 1943

Quote Originally Posted by HPD260 View Post
    Holy necrothread Batman.
    Seriously.
    Way Too Much Crap