Pearl Drummers Forum - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Land Shark

Default Neil Peart's Tone

I'm very curious about Neil Peart's tone. I love the way his drums are tuned. I listen to old recordings like "yyz" studio version and the drums sound so real. Nothing sounds triggered in anyway or even equalized (although they probably were). They just have this accoustic drum sound. I was wondering if anybody was familiar with the way his drums are tuned. They sound like they're tuned high. I'm a great tuner when it comes to tuning down or medium tension tuning, but i can never get a good sound tuning high. I'm sure there are some Peart fanatics who could help me out. Thanks.
    "There is a subtle perfection to everything I do."
    -Ty Webb

2. Registered User

I think he tunes his tom heads the same pitch for top and bottom. I always liked his snare and tom sound on the album "Signals"

3. Registered User

I think it's cuz he plays some of the best sounding drums in the world, and recorded them in one of the best recording studios in the world.
    I've left the PDF. Email me at mjdurante (at) gmail (dot com).

Drums: Pearl SMX & Dream Bliss | Ludwig/Canwood & Sabian | Roland TD-12
    Restorations: Black '70s Slingerland | '66 Slingerland | White '70s Slingerland | '90s Sonor Force | CP Snares
    Bands: Captain Starr | stereoINs

4. Miles Gibbons

This is all from Rush: Tribute, an official book sanctioned by the band.

For the Moving Pictures album, Neil had a '79 Tama Superstar. There were 6, 8, and 10 concert toms, as well as 8x12, 9x13, 12x15 and 16x18 (floor) toms. His kicks were 14x24, and his snare was his 'Old Faithful' 5x14 Slingerland. He had 20 and 22 gong basses, and 13 and 14 timbales. He used Remo Weatherking CS Black Dot heads or Ludwig Silver Dot Rockers on top, and Evans Hydraulics on the bottom.

Neil was quoted as saying that he tunes the bottom head to the purest most musical note using the star technique, then tunes the top head to the bottom. Neil did tune his toms relatively high for the time (for a rock drummer)...His floor tom was usually tuned quite low.

Basically, traditional tom sizes, thick heads, tuned high, top and bottom to the same note.
    "I'm gonna sleep outside... it's like Earth here, except less pollution, and more moons"

5. Land Shark

thanks, milesaway......................
    "There is a subtle perfection to everything I do."
    -Ty Webb

6. Registered User

Neil Peart listed out what snares he used in an old Modern Drummer magazine and i remeber like 80% of them were the Elvin Jones signature snare, and the other was a Dw Edge
    Dw Drums in Champagne Glass with A Customs and all DW 9000 hardware all sitting on a Pearl Icon Rack.

Make-A-Wish gave them to me. :)

7. Miles Gibbons

Quote Originally Posted by beatadrum
    Neil Peart listed out what snares he used in an old Modern Drummer magazine and i remeber like 80% of them were the Elvin Jones signature snare, and the other was a Dw Edge
    Yup that was for the Vapour Trails recording. Up until Neil started playing DW (around 96 I think), he used a 5x14 Slingerland, with modified bearing edges that he found in a pawn shop or something. He exclusively used that, until 96 for the Test For Echo album, on which he used an Edge (maybe just a 6x14 DW maple). Nowadays he uses his signature DW snare.

On the Vapour Trails he used a Yamaha Elvin Jones, a Yamaha Bamboo, the DW Edge and a DW Piccolo.
    "I'm gonna sleep outside... it's like Earth here, except less pollution, and more moons"

I have "Rush in Rio" on DVD and his drums sound great. His 8",10",& 12" toms are turned so tight,they sound like timbales.

9. Mooderator

At that time, Neil Peart only tuned his drums three days before the full moon, and this was ALWAYS followed by burying half-eaten baked potato two foot deep in his backyard.

I tried it myself, and my drums sounded EXACTLY like his.

Unbelievable!

10. Registered User

Since he started playing DW his sound has been terrible. In my opinion, his sound on the Rio Cd sucks. His best sounds were the early 80s Tama days and the Ludwig Super Classics around "Roll The Bones," etc.

11. Band

Quote Originally Posted by iamagog
    At that time, Neil Peart only tuned his drums three days before the full moon, and this was ALWAYS followed by burying half-eaten baked potato two foot deep in his backyard.

I tried it myself, and my drums sounded EXACTLY like his.

Unbelievable!

Thats great if you live in The northern half of the country, but in the southern half it is only necessary to bury the potato 12-16 inches.

12. Mooderator

Quote Originally Posted by duhhh
    Thats great if you live in The northern half of the country, but in the southern half it is only necessary to bury the potato 12-16 inches.
    you are correct, sir ... very few people know this.