Pearl Drummers Forum - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
  1. I'm the GD Batman

Default Iron Cobra / Eliminator Hybrid

After mentioning this idea to SLIPKNOT1 and seeing him pull it off, I've been itching to make my own hybrid pedal, using what I felt were the best parts of Pearl and Tama pedals. (I have very low opinions of other brands)

Visiting Pearl gave me the chance to root through the pedal graveyard and obtain two Eliminator cam assemblies, the part I wanted most from Pearl pedals. I already own a Iron Cobra, so I used it as the base of the design and added the ability to change out cams to it. This lets me keep the IC beater angle adjustment which I love (independent of footboard angle).

Unlike Will's version, I was using the chain connector from the Eliminators, so I had to modify the parts a little to make it all fit. The holes didn't match up by about half the size of the hole where the chain is attached to the footboard, but I was able to take a little out of 3 places to spread out the damage, and it's all together finally.

The only thing I see as an improvement to this pedal would be a new connecting rod, my universal joints are getting loose with age. Axis has a VERY nice one on their pedals, I may look into its compatability on the pedal someday.

Anyway, here's some pictures!
    Attached Images Attached Images      
    My Last.fm profile | My Youtube Vids

Virgil Donati Snare | Omar Hakim Snare |Pearl BRX | Gibraltar Rack | IC/Elim Hybrid Dbl v2.0 (Inventor) | Sabian/Paiste

2. Banned

Thumbs down

Nice job.

Quote Originally Posted by DeepThought
    Axis has a VERY nice one on their pedals, I may look into its compatability on the pedal someday.
    It is compatible.

3. Banned

that's pretty sweet man.

4. I'm the GD Batman

And please, if you do this, be more careful with carbide than I was
    Attached Images Attached Images    

Virgil Donati Snare | Omar Hakim Snare |Pearl BRX | Gibraltar Rack | IC/Elim Hybrid Dbl v2.0 (Inventor) | Sabian/Paiste

5. The Hardware Guy

Nice work DT...

Correct me if I am wrong, but it looks like the IC's have independant beater angle adjustment - independant of the foot board - is that right?

Cos my Pearl P-1000's don't have this. They have the same beater vs foot board angle that the Elims have, but the independant beater angle adjustment would be a very usefull addition. Am I right in thinking that the Pearl hex shaft the beaters and cams sit on is the same size as the Tama ones? So I could easily swap the Tama beatter assy onto my Pearl pedals?

Lastly - where might I find Tama IC beater assy's (apart from on IC's )

PEARL CZX "CUSTOM Z" ALL MAPLE
    22", 22", 8", 10", 12", 13", 14", 16", 18"
    PICSPICS 2
    “After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music.”
    Click Here To Help My Next Epic Search Quest

6. I'm the GD Batman

Yes, IC have independent adjustment, which is one of the main reasons I wanted that part of the pedal, with the Pearl cams.

I know that the Eliminator shaft is the same as a Iron Cobra, so I'd assume all the hex bars are the same.

You should be able to get Tama parts through your a drum store..

7. The Hardware Guy

I'm gonna double check Slips thread about the pedals, as I think I remember he measured everything so it will say there if they are the same or not (the hex bars), and then get onto my local Tama dealer, see just how much the "vari pitch" tama parts are

PICSPICS 2
    “After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music.”

8. The Hardware Guy

Excellent, just found the info I wanted

Quote Originally Posted by Slipknot1
    The entire project was very quick and very simple. No permanent modifications are required to either pedal. The main hex shaft on both pedals is identical in diamater so the parts are 100% interchangeable
    So, using that info, I guess that the IC "Vari-Pitch" beater angle thingmy will swap directly onto my Pearl pedal's hex shaft, which means I can have both footboard angle adjustment (higher, lower) and beater angle adjustment (closer, further away from the head) and still keep the spring roller bearing that my P-1000's have which I love (along with the powershifter function)

All I would need them, if I decided to take the plunge, would be the Eliminator cam thingy's you just fitted, if I wanted total control

PICSPICS 2

9. yeah about that.....

ahh you cannot call it successful without an accident on the job

10. Major Cubed

Very nice, I may have to visit you.

11. Emu Tamer Extraordinaire

they play great, too. Even Hook liked 'em!
    My Music

equipment list

If anyone has a 20" (any depth) Ocean Sparkle Masters kick and wants to trade for an 18x22 BRX, please PM me

12. Major Cubed

I just noticed you got the same BS Guitar Center letter I did.

Wanna pay Jerry a visit sometime this weekend?