Pearl Drummers Forum - Powered by vBulletin

1. This is just a tribute

Default New Snare Stand and Other Hardware Questions

Last Sunday when I was setting up my gear to play for the Praise team, I found to my dismay that the screw holding the legs of my snare stand stripped out. I got through the service ok, but it was obvious that I was going to need a new stand.

The stand is from the 700 series Pacific hardware pack that I bought with my Pacific FS kit. I figured that at the time, for the kind of playing I was going to be doing, that lighter weight and less expensive hardware was going to be ok. I think that maybe I was wrong about that.

I called Guitar Center and they told me that DW has a 1 year warranty on their hardware so I took it in to get replaced. The trouble is, I couldn't just swap it out for a 700 series stand because they don't sell those stands, they only order them in with the 700 series hardware prepack, so it's going to take a while before that gets back to me. Since I don't want to have this problem again, I bought another snare stand - the Pearl S800 W. It was a toss-up between the Pearl and the DW 5300. The DW was a little heavier and cost $10 more, but I decided on the Pearl for several reasons:

1.) My 10 year-old son told me to get the Pearl (what logic he used, I have no idea)
    2.) In 7 months, I have now had 3 things strip out on my DW/Pacific hardware - two lug inserts, and my snare stand
    3.) I have heard nothing but good things about Pearl Hardware on this forum since I joined it 8 months ago
    4.) We flipped a coin

I suppose that I could have gotten a lighter weight, less expensive stand, but I figure that in the long run, I'll be better off paying a little more now and having something that will last longer. After all, I break down and set up twice a week, every week. Unfortunately, this experience with this stand makes me wonder how much time I've got on the rest of my hardware before it fails. I guess one of the things that worries me is wondering if the stuff that I have left is going to fail and leave me hi and dry prior to a performance one day. That would suck!

I would love some feedback on this. Do you think that I would be better off in the long run ditching some of the lighter weight gear that I have now and getting some heavier duty hardware considering the use that it gets?

Oh yeah, for all of you that argue about which is better, the IC or the Eliminator Power Shifter, I prefered the Pearl pedal tonight, although I must admit I didn't fiddle with the adjustments on either of those pedals.

Does anyone have any horror stories about their budget level hardware failing prior to a gig?
    Last edited by trickg; 05-03-2004 at 09:58 PM.
    Patrick G.

"95% of the average 'weekend warrior's' problems could be solved by an additional 30 minutes of insightful practice." -- Anonymous

"Let's be honest... drummers don't have piles of money laying around, just piles of drums." -- Gord the Drummer

2. Registered User

Default Re: Re: New Snare Stand and Other Hardware Questions

Originally posted by SLIPKNOT1

I am a firm believer in buying the best you can afford because it will pay for itself in the long run. Even if you have to wait a bit longer to buy.

I couldn't agree more.

3. This is just a tribute

Thanks for the replies. As I woke up this morning after having slept on my decision of snare stands, I'm wondering if I wouldn't have been better off buying the somewhat heavier duty DW 5300 stand.

But, I do know that the stand that I purchased is much heavier duty than what I had, the guy at GC that sold it to me vouched for it, (he told me he was a metal drummer that gigged regularly and he has had virtually the same stand for about 7 years) and Pearl hardware has an excellent reputation for quality and durability. The only thing that really set the two stands apart in my mind was that the DW stand has a memory lock and the Pearl Stand doesn't. However, as compact as the Pearl stand folds up, once I have the height set, I don't see a need to change it. The Pearl S-800-W is not the heaviest snare stand the Pearl sells, but it is certainly a decent stand so whether or not I decide to exchange it for the DW or I keep it, I know that it is going to give me years of solid service.

Slip, I think that I have learned a valuable lesson here, but one that I had no way of knowing back in September when I purchased all of my gear. It is, however, a lesson that I am going to keep in mind for the future when I need to replace something else.
    Patrick G.

"95% of the average 'weekend warrior's' problems could be solved by an additional 30 minutes of insightful practice." -- Anonymous

"Let's be honest... drummers don't have piles of money laying around, just piles of drums." -- Gord the Drummer

4. This is just a tribute

Holy zombie threads, Batman!

I was looking for something else I might have posted and came across this. I STILL use this snare stand. I backlined my kit for a show once and some jackwagon almost totally stripped the stand for the height adjustment, and it finally stripped out, but I was able to repair it by using a piece from a Pearl 800 series cymbal stand I was no longer using.

I didn't make a mistake with this snare stand. I still use it every single time I play my drums out (I have another one on my practice kit) and it's probably my favorite piece of hardware.
    Patrick G.

5. Registered User

The only problem I've ever had with 800s was the height adjustment stripping out, and it happened to all of them eventually.

6. The Hardware Guy

I almost exclusively use Pearl hardware (not including the Gibraltar rack, I think I have maybe three or four non Pearl branded bits of hardware in regular use). Most of my Pearl stuff is from the early 90's, has been gigged countless times, and other than a couple of stripped out bolts (some of which were human error from cross threading) it's all been perfect. I'd be hard pushed to use anything else to be honest.

PEARL CZX "CUSTOM Z" ALL MAPLE
    22", 22", 8", 10", 12", 13", 14", 16", 18"
    PICSPICS 2
    “After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music.”
    Click Here To Help My Next Epic Search Quest

7. This is just a tribute

Quote Originally Posted by daverjr View Post
    The only problem I've ever had with 800s was the height adjustment stripping out, and it happened to all of them eventually.
    Mine stripped out, but only after some jackhole WAY overtightened it. I've had height adjustment screws strip out on PDP hardware - that stuff was awful and I had two or three pieces go down very quickly - the snare stand I mentioned in this thread was the first replacement piece for that awful PDP stuff. In any case, I've never had a height adjustment strip out on any of my Pearl 800 series hardware.
    Patrick G.