Pearl Drummers Forum - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Registered User

Default 10 Ply shells - Good or Bad?

I am in the process of ordering custom made drums, and have been given the choice of 10 ply shells for the bass drum (22 x 16) and toms (16 x 16, 14 x 14 & 12 x 10). These would be Keller maple shells.

I am told they would provide more projection and volume and less unwanted overtones.

I play blues and rock, in small to medium sized clubs.

Any one have any thoughts?

Thanks!
    Drummin' Don, no longer in a band in the Chicago suburbs... anybody need a drummer?
    My Pearl Masters RetroSpec kit My Mapleworks kit

2. pink panther

a land if you figure out exactly where i am u get $100

the thicker the drum the more volume and projection the drum will have. the thinner the drum, the more it will resonate using more of the true characteristics of the wood.
    PAuL E. WiLlIaMs

3. Registered User

Hello, you want a thicker shell for a snare. A thick shell will mitigate any dissonant overtones, thereby giving the drum a greater punch.

4. Playing since 1976

Quote Originally Posted by Drummage View Post
    Hello, you want a thicker shell for a snare. A thick shell will mitigate any dissonant overtones, thereby giving the drum a greater punch.
    Drummin' Don has been waiting over 17 years for your words of wisdom, and it was worth it!
    Website ===> CLICK HERE
    Reverb Listings ===> CLICK HERE
    eBay Auctions ===> CLICK HERE
    YouTube channel ===> CLICK HERE

5. The Sensitone Guy

Thin or thick shells? They're all good. I had a Tama Artstar Custom kit with thick maple shells. It sounded fantastic. I also had a Yamaha Maple Vustom Absolute kit with thinner shells. It also sounded fantastic.

6. Drumming Since 1943

It’s the old CB700 vs. Masterworks argument. You know, that old chestnut.
    Way Too Much Crap

7. King of Pointlessness.

If you're looking for a right answer, you'll be disappointed. Just ask your ears. When I hear "blues" I sure don't think about 10 ply drums, but whatever floats your boat. A bunch of jazz cats play Sonor Signature after all.

I know my next kit will be 3 or 4 ply max, if not 1mm spun aluminum. Not afraid of overtones, I own a tuning key.
    - [ Paiste Cymbals, Sonor Drums, Pearl Hardware ] -

- [ Sonor SQ² 2015 ] - [ Old monster kit ] - [ My Pies ] - [ Custom ICON ] -

#Paiste on IRCNET

8. The Sensitone Guy

I'd go with thicker plies if I had the choice. Either way is good though. Heads and tuning are far more important anyways!

9. Registered User

Jesus Christ, is this the oldest thread resurrection we've ever seen around here? I was a 15-year-old high school freshman when this thread was started. The guy who started this thread was 47 at the time.
    "Why is that mirror sneezing?"

"Ah, look, it's just an old, creaky mirror, y'know, sometimes it sounds a little like it's sneezing, or coughing, or talking softly."

10. Drumming Since 1943

Quote Originally Posted by TheElectricCompany View Post
    Jesus Christ, is this the oldest thread resurrection we've ever seen around here? I was a 15-year-old high school freshman when this thread was started. The guy who started this thread was 47 at the time.
    Wow. No ****. This thread was started two years before I became a cop. I’m about to pass my 15th year on the job.
    Way Too Much Crap

11. The Sensitone Guy

Quote Originally Posted by TheElectricCompany View Post
    Dang. I didn't even notice the thread date.

12. King of Pointlessness.

Old farts, unite !
    - [ Paiste Cymbals, Sonor Drums, Pearl Hardware ] -

- [ Sonor SQ² 2015 ] - [ Old monster kit ] - [ My Pies ] - [ Custom ICON ] -

#Paiste on IRCNET