Pearl Drummers Forum - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Registered User

Default Tune bot sticky?

Seems like a good idea to me. I just got another and haven't gotten too deep into it yet. So unfortunately, for now, i dont have anyhing to contribute. I had one before and didn't use it and sold it. I'm trying to be more conicse and thorough with my new kit and really want to give this thing a fair shot. I've always done fine with tuning by ear and my kits nearly always end sounding the same as a result. So, while looking for settings, It occured to me, that there are likely quite a few users here, who might have some detailed settings and tips to share in one central space on the forum. Anyone else agree?

2. Registered User

I tried to start a thread like this years ago... and it didn't really take off.

I've been having a lot of success with the Tune-Bot recently. For me, it's important to stretch the head, then tune, then repeat until I feel like the head is stable. Also, for toms/floor toms, I've been tuning the resonant side 10-15 hz lower, at each lug, than the batter side. Some guys do the opposite. Regardless, the way to get the most resonance is to tune both heads to the same hz, while being close to the fundamental note of the shell... but I don't care for that final result.

I'm happy to participate in this thread if it continues. Let's talk tuning.

3. Registered User

I absolutely love and swear by the tune bot (especially for bigger kits) but I can't remember my settings as I havent been near my drums in two years. From memory I went for middle tuning, max resonance on the calculator. When I get home in a few weeks I'm going to try tuning the toms to different notes in hte key of E minor (which is generally what i mess around with when I play guitar).

4. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Drumming-4-Life View Post
    I tried to start a thread like this years ago... and it didn't really take off.

I've been having a lot of success with the Tune-Bot recently. For me, it's important to stretch the head, then tune, then repeat until I feel like the head is stable. Also, for toms/floor toms, I've been tuning the resonant side 10-15 hz lower, at each lug, than the batter side. Some guys do the opposite. Regardless, the way to get the most resonance is to tune both heads to the same hz, while being close to the fundamental note of the shell... but I don't care for that final result.

I'm happy to participate in this thread if it continues. Let's talk tuning.
    Excellent. I've always tuned my reso heads slightly higher than the batter and typically like the results. I'll try other tunings for reference though if we're going to make this a permanent resource for tunebot users.

Quote Originally Posted by keaton_86 View Post
    I absolutely love and swear by the tune bot (especially for bigger kits) but I can't remember my settings as I havent been near my drums in two years. From memory I went for middle tuning, max resonance on the calculator. When I get home in a few weeks I'm going to try tuning the toms to different notes in hte key of E minor (which is generally what i mess around with when I play guitar).
    Awesome. Pearl sent my MW tuned quite well and made me wonder if they used a tuning aid before shipping? SONOR uses an oscilloscope at their German factory. I tried a set of parameters from TuneBot's artist page and the results were drums pitched much lower than I would of liked. I favor the medium range for the response and depth. Extremely low tunings feel like playing oatmeal to me. I kind of wrote this piece of gear off as unnecessary before but value your opinions and realize I didn't give it much of a chance the first time around. If we organize a bunch of settings, for most drum sizes, head types and tunings, I think it could be extremely beneficial for people looking for different settings, to easily experiment with new, or unfamiliar, tunings. I know that many melodic options exist too for those who think about this stuff more theoretically. Poorly tuned drums can ruin the experience from both sides of the kit, this could be very helpful for people who struggle.

5. Registered User

Yeah exactly, people who struggle is a great way of describing my tuning ability before the tune bot. I could never get the two heads to play nicely with each other and didn't realise just how much difference a small turn on the drum key can make. I think on the drummerworld.com forum there is a tunebot thread similar to what you're describing.

6. Drumming Since 1943

I got a drum dial a while back and found that following the graph resulted in SUPER high tuning.
    Still Way Too Much Crap

7. Registered User

Yeah exactly, people who struggle is a great way of describing my tuning ability before the tune bot. I could never get the two heads to play nicely with each other and didn't realise just how much difference a small turn on the drum key can make. I think on the drummerworld.com forum there is a tunebot thread similar to what you're describing.
    People are friendlier here. Nothing against drummerworld but I get the sense that some of the members are really high on themselves on dw.

8. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by JY Kelly View Post
    I got a drum dial a while back and found that following the graph resulted in SUPER high tuning.
    Yeah, the low tunings I discovered, seemed extreme to me. Bop tunings are too extreme the other way, unless you're playing in a jazz trio. I like a nice solid tone with a touch of sustain that decays quickly. I think Benny Greb gets a great kit sound that can cover all genres from bop to metal.

9. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by j kuhl View Post
    People are friendlier here. Nothing against drummerworld but I get the sense that some of the members are really high on themselves on dw.
    Yeah I get that, it's a bit cult-y over there haha.

10. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by j kuhl View Post
    Not to get off topic, but https://www.drumforum.org/ is a really decent place, and you can buy and sell gear on there too. I've found some really nice cymbals on there, and sold some stuff too.

11. Registered User

Had my TuneBot now for a good few years. I didn't use it much at first, but now I use it all of the time. It's the consistency I like.
    I really like the App also, as when (when...........) we tour, I will use it in conjunction with the iTunePro App as I always have my phone handy.

I just think the TuneBot is probably the best drum invention of the past decade
    Yamaha Recording Custom 10,12,13,16,22 in Cherry Red
    Pearl Masters Premium Maple "Redline" in 12, 16, 22. Black on Black.
    Premier Projector MK1. 12,13,16,22 in Piano Black
    Endorser for Scymtek Cymbals & The London Drumstick Company.

12. Registered User

Found it:

https://www.drummerworld.com/forums/...py-txt.110179/

https://www.drummerworld.com/forums/...3#post-1846895