Pearl Drummers Forum - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Registered User

Default Anyone ever see SONOR hoops like this? I think these are not SONOR hoops

Are these legit SONOR hoops? I've owned several German made SONOR drums from many eras and have never seen hoops like this on a SONOR snare. I have my doubts but figured someone here would know. czx for example hahaha.

Name:  20211117_232837.jpg
Views: 162
Size:  57.1 KB

2. Registered User

Haha.. i just happened to see your post.. Yeah they do have the generic die cast on a few models.. and I have no idea why.. Looks like you have the cottonwood ??
    You can see the regular die cast here : https://www.sonor.com/instruments/dr...al-series/?L=0

3. Registered User

I'm more interested/disgusted by that matte gold hardware. What the heck is going on there?

4. Drumming Since 1943

I actually kinda like it.
    Way Too Much Crap

5. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by czx View Post
    Haha.. i just happened to see your post.. Yeah they do have the generic die cast on a few models.. and I have no idea why.. Looks like you have the cottonwood ??
    You can see the regular die cast here : https://www.sonor.com/instruments/dr...al-series/?L=0
    I knew you'd know. Much appreciated. The original owner of this drum lost their mind hahaha. Luckily the shell is mostly perfect. A few minor nicks in the bearing edge but otherwise perfect. The hw is a different story. Still not sure these hoops left the factory on this shell... Both the strainer and butt's, lower screw receivers, are either a combination of being stripped and having too short screws, or just one of those two problems. The seller is sending a new strainer and butt. The drum sounds great but is unreliable with the strainer issues and couldn't be brought out in this condition. Still, I'm glad to have a nice maple SONOR snare shell to revive to the state, where I know it can sound special. It also has Starclassic wires hahaha.

6. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by keaton_86 View Post
    I'm more interested/disgusted by that matte gold hardware. What the heck is going on there?
    It wouldn't have been priced the way it was without that "customization". The work is substandard too. However, having seen it in the flesh, matte BRONZE, haha, looks pretty cool.

7. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by JY Kelly View Post
    Name:  20211119_013146.jpg
Views: 118
Size:  58.6 KB

8. Pearl Masters Drummer

Hey Jamie,
    I have the same snare with no alterations from the introduction of this line as you can see by the elongated badge. The newer ones have the circular badge. Definitely didn't come with gold hardware. Never saw matte gold from Sonor like that either. Interesting hoops as well. Possibly my favorite snare that I own.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

9. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by j kuhl View Post
    Still not sure these hoops left the factory on this shell... .
    upon further review...... looks like you are right.. they are aftermarket hoops.. The Sonor regular die cast.. bottom hoop.. has the gate or space for the wires to pass through .. in the actual hoop... like below.... It is not an add on component to the hoop like ones you have.

One more thing I noticed about your drum.. is the shell is so close to the head hoop.. which is strange because all Sonor wood snare shells are undersized pretty good.. and you can immediately notice it just like this one below.. you can see quite alot of space between the head hoop and the shell.

Last edited by czx; 11-20-2021 at 03:32 PM.

10. Registered User

Could you put it in some sort of paint thinners and strip that bronze off?

11. Playing since 1976

Quote Originally Posted by j kuhl View Post
    Are these legit SONOR hoops? I've owned several German made SONOR drums from many eras and have never seen hoops like this on a SONOR snare. I have my doubts but figured someone here would know. czx for example hahaha.

Name:  20211117_232837.jpg
Views: 162
Size:  57.1 KB
    They are not the hoops that come on a cottonwood.

As far as the lugs go, try Acetone to see if the gold comes off... it might wipe right off. Acetone will not hurt the chrome under it either. However, it looks like the guy painted the gaskets too... which would get damaged from Acetone (and some other chemicals as well). Maybe the paint would come off the rubber gaskets with hot soapy water, or Goo Gone (not Goof Off)?
    Website ===> CLICK HERE
    Reverb Listings ===> CLICK HERE
    eBay Auctions ===> CLICK HERE
    YouTube channel ===> CLICK HERE

12. Registered Loser

Quote Originally Posted by JY Kelly View Post
    You know what, I do too.