Pearl Drummers Forum - Powered by vBulletin

1. ...has Stanton's hands??

Default Most durable timpani mallets for drumset playing?

Title pretty much says it all... my band has a piece that involves me playing with mallets for around ten minutes, it's an intense drone free noise thing - my newest set of VF T1 Generals only lasted 2-3 rehearsals before I started to see the felt wrapping around the wooden core. This is also the song that killed my many many many year old drumset T1s.

Does anyone know of any especially durable timpani mallets? These will never touch an actual set of timpani! Swizzle sticks won't work, I really need a smooth transient-free cymbal roll from them, and a bit of full kit free-jazz freakout playing - for an idea of the normal wear.
    Those that do not want to imitate anything, produce nothing.
    -/- Salvador Dali

Songs are really just very interesting things to be doing with the air.
    -/- Tom Waits

drums&heads&cymbals&implements

2. PDF Renaissance man!

I have a set of Los Cabos Legato timp mallets which sound like they'd fit your requirements, nice and durable, I've had them on the road for a couple of years for cymbal rolls and there's hardly a scratch on them. https://www.long-mcquade.com/18288/D...s---Legato.htm
    More drums than you can shake a stick at...
    https://www.charliesmithdrummer.com

Also a Podcaster - Groovecast

3. Chomp, Chomp

Have you tried tenor drum mallets?
    Drumming since 1961.
    Pearl MCX 8 Piece Bronze Glass
    Many Paiste Cymbals

Tama SLP Fat Spruce 4 piece
    Zildjian K Custom Dark Cymbals

4. Registered User

In my experience a more staccato style mallet works better in drum set applications. The softer, legato mallets require you to hit harder on smaller sized drums to bring out any articulation. Most tympani mallets have a soft material around a hard core. If the material is too soft, you have to hit harder and that compresses the soft material and the sound of the hard core comes out. With staccato mallets, you can use a softer touch to bring out enough tone to be heard without compressing the outer wrapping.
    Honestly, I have found medium yarn wrapped marimba mallets sound the best, both on the drums and especially on cymbal swells, and that is what I used for many years. But the thin stick diameter can feel out of place on a drum set when you are switching between regular sticks and mallets, either from song to song and more so when switching in the middle of a song.
    After going to a store and testing various mallets, I landed on swizzle sticks, which have the same mallet head as staccato tympani mallets. Granted I now have more songs where I need to switch mid-song so a dual purpose stick made sense for me. Back when I was playing with a folk singer, about 1/3 of our set was just mallets on the drums.
    I haven’t tried tenor drum mallets, but they are definitely on the staccato end of mallets.

5. Registered User

Honestly, vibraphone mallets work much better around a drum set and cymbals than timpani mallets do. They produce a much better tone with less effort. Just don’t try play rimshots with them.