Pearl Drummers Forum - Powered by vBulletin

1. Music Lover

Default New Drummers and Cymbals: My Advice

There are many posts on this forum by new drummers about which cymbals to get. I have played drums for over fifty years and have played cymbals by Sabian, Zildjian, Paiste, Meinl, and others that I do not remember. First, a few or a couple of good cymbals are better than many bad ones. The good thing about cymbals is that you can buy them one at a time. That is what you should do rather than buying a pack that you may want to replace in a year. Use and trust your ears, and if you are so inclined, pray about it.

1. Go to a store, even if you have to travel a while to get there.
    2. If possible, take an experienced drummer with you. If that is not possible, take an experienced musician of some other type.
    3. Start with hi-hat cymbals. Some inexpensive hats sound OK, such as Paiste Alphas, Sabian XSR's and B8 Pros. Buying used cymbals will almost always allow you to get a much better cymbal. Pro quality hats include the following: Sabian AA, AAX, HH, HHX, and Paragon; Zildjian A, A Custom, and K; and Paiste 2002, Signature, and 602.
    4. Second, buy a good crash cymbal. Some will disagree with this and say to get a ride cymbal. Most inexpensive crashes sound bad. I suggest getting an 18 inch medium-thin or medium crash from the list of pro cymbals above. Used is good here too.
    5. After these two, buy a ride, and another (different-sized) crash. Follow the advice above. Hats, two crashes, and a ride will be enough for most songs.

I have bought many used cymbals and have never had a problem with them. There are also great deals out there. Some Sabian SR2 cymbals are a great value. I bought one few years ago that is an 18 inch Thin that is a great crash and a decent ride. It was $100. Last year I bought two AAX Concept Crashes. The 16 inch was $100, and the 17 inch was $110, which is about half what they typically go for. Some drummers really like Paiste Alphas and Sabian XSR cymbals.

I hope this helps some of you, and I hope some others share their experiences. Peace and goodwill.
    Mark Wellman ><>

"Let he who is without sin cast the first stone."

Mapex MPX (snare); Sabian HHX, AAX, and SR2 ; Evans ; LA Backbeat

Church Drummers Army

2. Deferoxa

great advice and i'd like to add : don't shop brand wise shop soundwise ! I have a mix of Paiste's & Zildjian but if i'm looking for a new cymbal and it is another brand but fits perfectly in my set-up i'll buy it
    10 pc Pearl Vision VSX #436 Strata Red w/Black HW
    http://www.pearldrummersforum.com/sh...d.php?t=246977Latest pics page 86 !

3. The Sensitone Guy

Good advice. Most of my cymbals were purchased used. There are great deals out there. You just have to be patient.

4. Miles Gibbons

Quote Originally Posted by Drumolator View Post
    4. Second, buy a good crash cymbal. Some will disagree with this and say to get a ride cymbal. Most inexpensive crashes sound bad. I suggest getting an 18 inch medium-thin or medium crash from the list of pro cymbals above. Used is good here too.
    A difficult choice if you are a new drummer, because you may not know what your style necessitates, but this is really dependant on what kind of music you play. I've played plenty of gigs without crashes, but couldn't play a gig without the ride. I'd also argue that cheap rides sound even worse than cheap crashes, and the ride is a timekeeping instrument, whereas (in most circumstances) the crash is a periodic accent. If you're into jazz, funk, hip-hop, or a lot of classic rock, the ride is an imperative. A good versatile ride can be crashed too!
    "I'm gonna sleep outside... it's like Earth here, except less pollution, and more moons"

5. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by MilesAway View Post
    A difficult choice if you are a new drummer, because you may not know what your style necessitates, but this is really dependant on what kind of music you play. I've played plenty of gigs without crashes, but couldn't play a gig without the ride. I'd also argue that cheap rides sound even worse than cheap crashes, and the ride is a timekeeping instrument, whereas (in most circumstances) the crash is a periodic accent. If you're into jazz, funk, hip-hop, or a lot of classic rock, the ride is an imperative. A good versatile ride can be crashed too!
    Totally agree.

6. The Sensitone Guy

I prefer cymbals that are:

Used and priced to sell
    Pro quality
    Heavy crashes, at least 17", that can be used as light rides

In the last couple years I've picked up some pretty near Sabian SR2 cymbals. They're basically refurbished one-of-kind cymbals.

7. Music Lover

If you are a jazz drummer, yes, you should get a ride before a crash. In rock and pop and funk, many songs can be played without a ride. Peace and goodwill.
    Mark Wellman ><>

"Let he who is without sin cast the first stone."

Mapex MPX (snare); Sabian HHX, AAX, and SR2 ; Evans ; LA Backbeat

Church Drummers Army