Pearl Drummers Forum - Powered by vBulletin

1. Registered User

Default New Oriollo Bellmaker 5.5x 14

This arrived just now and the very first thing I noticed, is how heavy it is. Easily the heaviest snare drum I've owned, beating out the 6.4x14 Ref and the 6.25x14 Tigerwood, SONOR, One Of A Kind, by a lot. Customs weighed the package at 23 lbs. I'll get an accurate weight in a few. I haven't had a real chance to play it yet, so I can't comment much on the sound, other than to say, I can tell it's a very sensitive drum.

A few comments about the snare upon arrival. First, the drum came fitted with a batter head called, Encore by Remo, which is made in Taiwan. They seem to be your standard single ply coated head and maybe they sound as good as a standard Ambassador but on a drum this pirice, you'd think you'd get a non budget head, stock. Not a huge deal but I usually get a good amount of use out of stock heads if they're Remo, Evans etc. The other point to mention and one that's obvious to see, are the amount of fingerprints this shell attracts. The seller said he'd polish the drum and get rid of the prints but I told him not to worry, so that's on me. However, they don't just wipe away and I don't want to damage the shell, by cleaning them with an unfriendly substance. I honestly won't be bothered if I have to live with the fact that this drum is a fingerprint magnet if it sounds as good as I think and hope it will. If anyone can suggest how to best deal with cleaning the shell, I'd be grateful to read about it.

It's a 10 lug drum, with a 3 position Trick throw and s hoops. I'm considering the cast bronze hoops that Vukan makes as well but they're really expensive and I need to do some investigating before I commit. I've never owned a cast bronze drum, so this is a new experience for me and one I'm eager to get underway. I'll give my best attempt at providing an unbiased objective review.

Name:  20211025_173134.jpg
Views: 145
Size:  45.4 KB
    Last edited by j kuhl; 10-25-2021 at 08:40 PM.

2. Registered User

Nice, Bronze right? How long did it take to build / arrive?

My Serbian brethren builds great drums.

3. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by doomonyou View Post
    Nice, Bronze right? How long did it take to build / arrive?

My Serbian brethren builds great drums.
    Yeah, its bronze. It was already done and in a shop in Quebec.

18lbs! That doesn't sound like a lot but when it's a snare drum it's noticeable.

4. Playing since 1976

Mine weighs in at around 20 lbs... but it's a 6.5x14, and only a 3mm shell. Vukan would not clear coat the shell for me... so I had to have it done on my own. Chris at Drums on sale did a beautiful job on the outer finish. He left the inside alone, because we didn't want to interfere with the shell sticker.

If you're handy, and have a work space in your garage or area with good ventilation, you could try to clear coat the shell yourself. You would clean the shell with your chosen cymbal cleaner. Then I would use a large 3M pad and wipe/sand the sell in one direction. It would give it a dull, brushed finish (this is what Vukan does as well). Then clean again, then clear coat with a satin clear coat made for brass/bronze. The shell will take on the "Tama Bell Brass" appearance, which I like. If you don't like where this is going... you could probably have the shell buffed and coated for a shiny final result. The only drawback is any little imperfection will be easily noticed, including new marks from use.

I know I already posted a pic of mine in response to your new purchase, but here is another pic, and a link to see more, in case anyone is interested.

https://flacche.com/index.php/oriollo-bellmaker-65

This is the finish after doing what I described.
    Name:  oriollobellmaker65dsmall.jpg
Views: 95
Size:  67.0 KB

This is the shell raw, but you see they don't stay looking nice like this for long. Even in the Canadian drum shop pics, you can see the transformation.

I hope you enjoy the snare!
    Name:  oriollo B16 shell DRILLED WRONG.jpg
Views: 94
Size:  23.7 KB
    Website ===> CLICK HERE
    Reverb Listings ===> CLICK HERE
    eBay Auctions ===> CLICK HERE
    YouTube channel ===> CLICK HERE

5. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Drumming-4-Life View Post
    Mine weighs in at around 20 lbs... but it's a 6.5x14, and only a 3mm shell. Vukan would not clear coat the shell for me... so I had to have it done on my own. Chris at Drums on sale did a beautiful job on the outer finish. He left the inside alone, because we didn't want to interfere with the shell sticker.

If you're handy, and have a work space in your garage or area with good ventilation, you could try to clear coat the shell yourself. You would clean the shell with your chosen cymbal cleaner. Then I would use a large 3M pad and wipe/sand the sell in one direction. It would give it a dull, brushed finish (this is what Vukan does as well). Then clean again, then clear coat with a satin clear coat made for brass/bronze. The shell will take on the "Tama Bell Brass" appearance, which I like. If you don't like where this is going... you could probably have the shell buffed and coated for a shiny final result. The only drawback is any little imperfection will be easily noticed, including new marks from use.

I know I already posted a pic of mine in response to your new purchase, but here is another pic, and a link to see more, in case anyone is interested.

https://flacche.com/index.php/oriollo-bellmaker-65

This is the finish after doing what I described.
    Name:  oriollobellmaker65dsmall.jpg
Views: 95
Size:  67.0 KB

This is the shell raw, but you see they don't stay looking nice like this for long. Even in the Canadian drum shop pics, you can see the transformation.

I hope you enjoy the snare!
    Name:  oriollo B16 shell DRILLED WRONG.jpg
Views: 94
Size:  23.7 KB
    Looks gorgeous Matt. I found this snare online and the hw has a similar finish. I have no idea what was done to this hw but I don't think SONOR did this. Those certainly don't look like SONOR cast hoops. Pretty cool looking regardless.

Name:  Screenshot_20211030-192253_Chrome.jpg
Views: 77
Size:  42.1 KB

6. Playing since 1976

The Cottonwood should come with Hella Hoops... like this

Name:  sonorartistcottonwood3small.jpg
Views: 75
Size:  69.4 KB
    Website ===> CLICK HERE

7. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Drumming-4-Life View Post
    The Cottonwood should come with Hella Hoops... like this

Name:  sonorartistcottonwood3small.jpg
Views: 75
Size:  69.4 KB
    I just bought the cottonwood with the painted hw. The seller is sending the original hella hoops too. The drum is otherwise, new. I got a really good price on it and couldn't pass it by. I like the satin bronze look too. I'll find some original chrome lugs and grab a dual glide so I have options.

8. Playing since 1976

Quote Originally Posted by j kuhl View Post
    I just bought the cottonwood with the painted hw. The seller is sending the original hella hoops too. The drum is otherwise, new. I got a really good price on it and couldn't pass it by. I like the satin bronze look too. I'll find some original chrome lugs and grab a dual glide so I have options.
    Cottonwoods don't come with Hella Hoops from Sonor; they come with a different die cast hoop. Hella hoops are a whole different ball game.

Name:  sonorartistcottonwoodhellacloseupsmall.jpg
Views: 59
Size:  41.4 KB

Name:  sonorartistcottonwoodopengatesnarewiressmall.jpg
Views: 58
Size:  75.5 KB
    Website ===> CLICK HERE