Pearl Drummers Forum - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Drumming Since 1943

Default 10” Tom Curiosity

So I’m very happy with my MCX’s, especially since applying Rob Brown’s tuning methods. Consequently, all the drums are tuned the same and in concert with each other… except the 10x9. Same heads as all the others, top and bottom. Same tuning method. And it stands out from all the others, in a somewhat comical way. On its own, it’s cool but when played with the others, it has a… ringy quality to it that I cant seem to vanquish.

Any idea fellas and dame (Kerry)?
    Way Too Much Crap

2. Registered User

No idea on what specifically is causing it, but have you tried moon gel or similar? Might kill the overtones just enough to make it blend.

3. A Passion Play ...

I have good luck with match tuning the batter and
    resonant heads. What heads are you running ?
    When you get the top and bottom close a few
    turns on the reso head can make an impact.
    Eric G : Pearl,pAiSTe,Remo,Vic Firth,SKB,Roc n Soc,Roland V-Drums. Masters MCX Chestnut fade.
    22"x18",10"x8",12"x9",16"x16". Ian Paice Snare. Why not ...

4. Drumming Since 1943

Perhaps it’s just the character of a 10” tom. It has no thump.
    Way Too Much Crap

5. Registered User

Get a tunebot.

6. Chomp, Chomp

I second the tune bot suggestion. I find the 10” to be a very easy drum to tune, but because of its small size, a very small turn of one tension rod (approximately 1/8 turn) can change the HZ by ten or more. That’s enough to throw the tuning off. Another nice thing about the tune bot is that once you’ve found a tuning that sounds good, you can record that tuning and replicate it when changing a head. Before getting my tune bot, I would hesitate to try a different tunings on a drum in fear that I wouldn’t be able to go back to my original tuning.
    Another suggestion is to try a zero ring. The name says it all.
    Drumming since 1961.
    Pearl MCX 8 Piece Bronze Glass
    Many Paiste Cymbals

Tama SLP Fat Spruce 4 piece
    Zildjian K Custom Dark Cymbals

7. Unban nik12

10” toms don’t have any low end or body, so it’ll definitely be ringier. I really love my 12/13 rack toms personally and can definitely get them to tune lower and fatter how I like. In the meantime, I’d try maybe a thicker head like an Evans G14 or Remo Ambassador X. Those are thicker single ply heads and will tune a little lower without choking the drum like a 2-ply head might.
    Black Lives Matter

Tama Starclassic Maple

8. Drumming Since 1943

Quote Originally Posted by MitchLyons View Post
    10” toms don’t have any low end or body, so it’ll definitely be ringier. I really love my 12/13 rack toms personally and can definitely get them to tune lower and fatter how I like. In the meantime, I’d try maybe a thicker head like an Evans G14 or Remo Ambassador X. Those are thicker single ply heads and will tune a little lower without choking the drum like a 2-ply head might.
    I’m running EC2’s on the toms. Perhaps I’ll try something different on the 10”.
    Way Too Much Crap

9. Registered User

Standard g2 if you want that 2 plies feel. On the other end, if you want to tame the ringing, coated would be my suggestion.

As for mitchlyon’s comment, I usually have a hard time with my 12 more than any other toms…
    My previous Ludwig kit; Pearl Sensitone Aluminum , Pork Pie, Black Panther and Crush snares.
    DW 5000, Pearl modded P-102, P-120P & P-2002B. IC Powerglide. Many cymbals from the big 3.
    Tiny pic of my old cymbal setup.

10. Drumming Since 1943

Quote Originally Posted by Mendell View Post
    Standard g2 if you want that 2 plies feel. On the other end, if you want to tame the ringing, coated would be my suggestion.

As for mitchlyon’s comment, I usually have a hard time with my 12 more than any other toms…
    It’s not that it “rings” per se, it just has a completely different feel and tone than the rest of the toms. Like it’s made of birch and the others are maple. It’s THAT different.
    Way Too Much Crap

11. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by JY Kelly View Post
    It’s not that it “rings” per se, it just has a completely different feel and tone than the rest of the toms. Like it’s made of birch and the others are maple. It’s THAT different.
    So you got a reference tom I see
    My previous Ludwig kit; Pearl Sensitone Aluminum , Pork Pie, Black Panther and Crush snares.
    DW 5000, Pearl modded P-102, P-120P & P-2002B. IC Powerglide. Many cymbals from the big 3.
    Tiny pic of my old cymbal setup.

12. The Sensitone Guy

I'm pretty much down to one kit; an MCX (bronze glass wrap). Sizes: 9x10, 10x12, 14x14, 16x16 and 18x22. I only play 4- piece so grab whatever toms depending on the gig.

As for the 10" tom, it IS very ringy and I always assumed it was just its character. Not that it's a bad thing. I actually kinda like it that way. If I want it more thumpy, I'll keep the rest tight and loosen the batter till I get that sweet spot. Frankly, I prefer it tight. Sounds better and does what the drum is supposed to do.

Trying to make a 10" tom sound thumpy is sort of like trying to tow a 16' flatbed trailer with a Porche sports car. Not what it's designed for.