Pearl Drummers Forum - Powered by vBulletin

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. The Hardware Guy

To be fair, this was the 90's and I was an arrogant teenager. That said, I was an arrogant 20-something in the early 2000's too

PEARL CZX "CUSTOM Z" ALL MAPLE
    22", 22", 8", 10", 12", 13", 14", 16", 18"
    PICSPICS 2
    “After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music.”
    Click Here To Help My Next Epic Search Quest

2. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Thrush View Post
    I nearly always gigged two bass drums, and never had a problem with mic'ing, EQ'ing, etc. Just turn up at the gig, set up the kit, watch the soundman huff about getting another mini boom/stand and a mic, sound check, play, tear down and go home. You're over-thinking it.
    to be honest this was my initial thought. You're not in abbey road - i don't think 99% of people will notice a slightly difference in kick drum sound.

3. Deferoxa

Quote Originally Posted by Thrush View Post
    To be fair, this was the 90's and I was an arrogant teenager. That said, I was an arrogant 20-something in the early 2000's too
    I dare say I am more arrogant now than I was when I was younger, I am over 45, have learned a lot in many areas and don't let me be pushed aside by people who think their opinion is so much more important.

when I was younger I was insecure, that's over now.
    I'm not saying I'm a know-it-all right now but I'll definitely make my voice heard

10 pc Pearl Vision VSX #436 Strata Red w/Black HW
    http://www.pearldrummersforum.com/sh...d.php?t=246977Latest pics page 86 !

4. The Hardware Guy

Quote Originally Posted by keaton_86 View Post
    to be honest this was my initial thought. You're not in abbey road - i don't think 99% of people will notice a slightly difference in kick drum sound.
    You really won't. Especially with the sound of a full band over the top, all you're getting is the thump from the low end and the attack from the beater on the head. So long as the sound man get's the levels the same, that's all that matters. And he's probably going to gate them anyway. All you need to do is tune them as close to each other as you can, which you do anyway.

PEARL CZX "CUSTOM Z" ALL MAPLE
    22", 22", 8", 10", 12", 13", 14", 16", 18"
    PICSPICS 2
    “After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music.”
    Click Here To Help My Next Epic Search Quest

5. Registered User

My bass drums are different sizes, so they aren't supposed to sound the same - makes it super easy. I have a D112 mounted inside each one, and always bring along a combiner box just in case the board doesn't have space for two bass drum channels. Personally I love the different sounds, makes things a lot more interesting and opens up all kinds of options mixing up my footing. As for taking up real estate - for me anyway, adding a left bass drum with a crash cymbal mounted to it takes no more room than having a tripod cymbal stand in the same place.

6. Registered User

Best way to go about gigging with 2 kicks?

Too easy.
    1. Take one bass drum
    2. Throw it away
    3. Apply Double Pedal to the left over bass drum
    4. Mic the whole thing up

Voila

Glad I could help
    "I consider every drummer that ever played before me an influence, in every way"
    Buddy Rich

7. Drumming Since 1943

Quote Originally Posted by ocdrums View Post

Too easy.
    1. Take one bass drum
    2. Throw it away

Voila

Glad I could help
    I want to be mad at this post, but I cant. My second kick sits in its case, almost never seeing the light of day.
    Way Too Much Crap

8. Registered Loser

Too easy.
    1. Take one bass drum
    2. Throw it away

Voila

Glad I could help
    Hey! This is the PDF! Get outta here with your logic!

9. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by JY Kelly View Post
    I want to be mad at this post, but I cant. My second kick sits in its case, almost never seeing the light of day.
    Don't get me wrong tho. Some Double bass drums kits are stunning and I could not even imagine them without 2 bass drums but the sad reality is that unless you have a crew and playing massive venues, 2 bass drums is just annoying more than anything else.
    "I consider every drummer that ever played before me an influence, in every way"
    Buddy Rich

10. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Feenix View Post
    Hey! This is the PDF! Get outta here with your logic!

hahahah I know and I did have a pause moment before clicking "Post" but oh well....
    Buddy Rich

11. Drumming Since 1943

Don't get me wrong tho. Some Double bass drums kits are stunning and I could not even imagine them without 2 bass drums but the sad reality is that unless you have a crew and playing massive venues, 2 bass drums is just annoying more than anything else.
    I’ve tried it a couple of times and yeah… annoying. Honestly, I find hauling a single kick kit annoying at this point.
    Way Too Much Crap

12. Starclassic Guy

I played one gig with a double bass kit. I used triggers and ill say, it was fun for the "metal" look of it. I'm a fan of triggers myself. I have a Roland TM-2 paired with a Roland RT30K and had no problems getting it dialed in. I also use a sample of the kick from my Birch Bubinga kit and it works great. That said, hauling around 2 kicks is a PITA and really isn't useful for anything more than "it looks cool". I LOVE the look of double bass kits, but the fact that it's so hard to tune both of them the same drove me insane so I've switched back to one on a permanent basis. Also, if you do decide to take the double-bass kit out WITHOUT triggers, make sure you take a kick mic with you because there is no guarantee that the venue will have a second one on hand.
    http://www.pearldrummersforum.com/al...p?albumid=1153 <---- My Drums

Formerly TreCoolFool