Pearl Drummers Forum - Powered by vBulletin

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
  1. Drumming Since 1943

Quote Originally Posted by PhilB1029 View Post
    I played one gig with a double bass kit. I used triggers and ill say, it was fun for the "metal" look of it. I'm a fan of triggers myself. I have a Roland TM-2 paired with a Roland RT30K and had no problems getting it dialed in. I also use a sample of the kick from my Birch Bubinga kit and it works great. That said, hauling around 2 kicks is a PITA and really isn't useful for anything more than "it looks cool". I LOVE the look of double bass kits, but the fact that it's so hard to tune both of them the same drove me insane so I've switched back to one on a permanent basis. Also, if you do decide to take the double-bass kit out WITHOUT triggers, make sure you take a kick mic with you because there is no guarantee that the venue will have a second one on hand.
    I’ll never understand this “so hard to tune both kicks the same” thing. My kicks have the exact same heads on them and I tune them the exact same using Rob Brown’s “Tune it flat, turn it back” method and they sound the same. And even if they’re a smidge off, NO ONE save for drum geeks will notice once the band is cooking.
    Way Too Much Crap

2. Starclassic Guy

Quote Originally Posted by JY Kelly View Post
    I’ll never understand this “so hard to tune both kicks the same” thing. My kicks have the exact same heads on them and I tune them the exact same using Rob Brown’s “Tune it flat, turn it back” method and they sound the same. And even if they’re a smidge off, NO ONE save for drum geeks will notice once the band is cooking.
    It's just one of those little things man. I'm sure literally no one else ever noticed it when I was rocking double bass kits, but I did, and it drove me crazy. I have a buddy that has 2 different-sized bass drums that he plays like a normal double bass kit, and I just couldn't get into it. Maybe if I played a slower style, it wouldn't have bothered me as much, but when you're getting 180bpms and above regularly, it can be unnerving. I still use triggers on a single bass kit though, and I don't care who hates me for it!!!
    http://www.pearldrummersforum.com/al...p?albumid=1153 <---- My Drums

Formerly TreCoolFool

3. Drumming Since 1943

Quote Originally Posted by PhilB1029 View Post
    It's just one of those little things man. I'm sure literally no one else ever noticed it when I was rocking double bass kits, but I did, and it drove me crazy. I have a buddy that has 2 different-sized bass drums that he plays like a normal double bass kit, and I just couldn't get into it. Maybe if I played a slower style, it wouldn't have bothered me as much, but when you're getting 180bpms and above regularly, it can be unnerving. I still use triggers on a single bass kit though, and I don't care who hates me for it!!!
    More than one?
    Way Too Much Crap

4. Registered User

I gigged with double bass drums for more than 25 years around the San Francisco Bay Area. I also don't try and match the drums perfectly. From listening back to gigs via cassette, vhs, mini ADAT and eventually digital to sd cards you can't tell the difference from the audience perspective. Doesn't matter the tempos though the bulk of my background was thrash and power metal where it's 16th notes from 170 up to 230.

Buy a TM-2, the newer triggers that mount to the pedal stability plate and trigger via the footboard hitting them and a DI box so you have a very easy setup when you tell the sound person what you have. This way even if you have the world's famous 10 second sound check, you will have control over how your bass drums sound. Hoop mounted triggers are a thing of the past and for starters will put slight indents on your nice wooden hoops. Then you have to worry about them misfiring on rim shots or the bass player's cabinet that might be a bit closer than normal due to stage constraints. You have better things to do with your time than messing with the drum module to correct misfires.

All this being said, double pedals have reached a maturity where they are not a limiting factor. I replaced the stock universal (sorry Pearl.. ) with the Trick aftermarket universal on my Pearl Redline Eliminators. There is zero latency and I am able to play higher tempos on my 26" bass drum.

5. The Hardware Guy

Quote Originally Posted by ocdrums View Post
    Don't get me wrong tho. Some Double bass drums kits are stunning and I could not even imagine them without 2 bass drums but the sad reality is that unless you have a crew and playing massive venues, 2 bass drums is just annoying more than anything else.
    I never had a crew (I barely ever had "help") and save for a couple of festivals, I never played massive venues either, but I still almost always gigged a double bass kit. I think I only played a single bass kit at less than a handful of gigs, maybe only 3. I even brought both bass drums to my high school music class performance exam. It's really not that big a deal.

PEARL CZX "CUSTOM Z" ALL MAPLE
    22", 22", 8", 10", 12", 13", 14", 16", 18"
    PICSPICS 2
    “After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music.”
    Click Here To Help My Next Epic Search Quest

6. Drumming Since 1943

Quote Originally Posted by Thrush View Post
    I never had a crew (I barely ever had "help") and save for a couple of festivals, I never played massive venues either, but I still almost always gigged a double bass kit. I think I only played a single bass kit at less than a handful of gigs, maybe only 3. I even brought both bass drums to my high school music class performance exam. It's really not that big a deal.
    Perhaps not for you but around here, real drums with even ONE kick get the stink eye. The younger generation now have been brought up on hip hop or music recorded almost exclusively using artificial methods. A set of drums in a club or bar is anathema to most.
    Way Too Much Crap