Pearl Drummers Forum - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1. Unban nik12

Default Best way to go about gigging with 2 kicks?

I’ve got some shows in November that I’m hoping to bring both bass drums out for (if it’s delivered on time!) and was just wondering the best way I should go about doing it. I’ve got 2 options in my head so far but I’m always down to hear new ideas.

1) the first idea was to get Kelly Shu mounts for the kicks and internally mount a Beta 91 inside each bass drum. These drums sound amazing and I’d love to use live kick sounds, but it would be a bit expensive to go this route and it might be hard for the sound man to EQ both kicks identically even though I’m pretty good at tuning and could get them sounding alike. I feel like this would be the easiest for plugging and playing without having to cause too much of a fuss for myself.

2) the cheaper and seemingly easier option for the sound man, grabbing a Roland TM-2 module and 2 kick triggers and triggering the kicks with samples of my own bass drums. I lean towards this option for the consistency in sound and convenience of the situation, but I also know absolutely nothing about doing that sort of thing and worry that it would be a huge pain in the *** for setting up, wiring into the house, etc. On top of that, I know triggers can have inconsistencies and I worry about my trigger sensitivity getting messed up and having my kicks cut in and out during the set. What else would I need for this setup other than the module, triggers, and patch cables?

Thanks in advance for any help!
    Black Lives Matter

Tama Starclassic Maple

2. Drumming Since 1943

The thing I would prepare most for is the odd looks people are going to give you. I’ve done what you describe and unless you’re playing in a theater and have a roadie, two kicks are going to get you mostly sideways glances. And if the place has a soundman, he’s going to hate you on sight and probably hock a loogie in your drink.
    Way Too Much Crap

3. Registered User

It seems like it's time to commit the ultimate drumming sin.

2 kicks, 1 double pedal, 1 mic.

4. Drumming Since 1943

Quote Originally Posted by keaton_86 View Post
    it seems like it's time to commit the ultimate drumming sin.

2 kicks, 1 double pedal, 1 mic.
    noooooooooooo!1
    Way Too Much Crap

5. Unban nik12

Quote Originally Posted by JY Kelly View Post
    The thing I would prepare most for is the odd looks people are going to give you. I’ve done what you describe and unless you’re playing in a theater and have a roadie, two kicks are going to get you mostly sideways glances. And if the place has a soundman, he’s going to hate you on sight and probably hock a loogie in your drink.
    We’re playing the opening slot for 6 shows where it’s 2 nights at each venue, so I’d have plenty of time to setup and sound check before and I have friends playing who said they’d happily help load offstage haha. I may end up not doing it but it would be an injustice to not rock both kicks in the wild at least once.
    Black Lives Matter

Tama Starclassic Maple

6. Drumming Since 1943

Quote Originally Posted by MitchLyons View Post
    We’re playing the opening slot for 6 shows where it’s 2 nights at each venue, so I’d have plenty of time to setup and sound check before and I have friends playing who said they’d happily help load offstage haha. I may end up not doing it but it would be an injustice to not rock both kicks in the wild at least once.
    Well when you look at it that way, go for it! I know nothing about triggers so I’m no help there.
    Way Too Much Crap

7. 2-time PDF FFL CHAMP

The correct answer to the question in the thread title is "with a roadie".

I kid! ...kinda. LOL

But depending on the type of venues (and quality of soundman), might just be easier to go the TM-2 route. I would get the module as soon as possible that way you can get familiar with its settings and try and dial in the sensitivity and thresholds, ect ahead of the show.

If you already had the Kelly Shu's and mics then I'd likely recommend that route, but then you'd also be having to rely on the soundman at the venues being worth a damn. I have Kelly Shu's and Beta 52's in my Masters kicks and I do love them, although I don't gig, but if I did I'd probably love them even more.
    22x18 (2) | 10x7 | 12x8 | 16x16 | 18x16

22x18 (2) | 10x8 | 12x9 | 14x11 | 16x13

Quote Originally Posted by Maark View Post
    What happens when the Unstoppable Banhammer meets the Immovable Alan12? I think the universe would implode.
    Quote Originally Posted by space jeff View Post
    yeah, but I'm the Jeff that Jeff talks about when he talks about "the Jeff" to other Jeffs.

8. Registered User

My first suggestion is that if you're gigging two kicks, use 20" kicks!

I've now played a handful of gigs with my double bass kit... all sound done by "professionals" (at least people who advertise themselves as such).
    Of the recordings I've heard, they've had no problem dialing in the kicks ... at least close enough for live performances.
    And nobody has grumbled... at least openly.

I do bring my own mics (Shure Beta 91a) as none of them have had two matching kick mics.

9. Registered Loser

Quote Originally Posted by Alan12 View Post
    might just be easier to go the TM-2 route. I would get the module as soon as possible that way you can get familiar with its settings and try and dial in the sensitivity and thresholds, ect ahead of the show.
    Took the words right out of my post.

10. HERTA so good!

I gigged out with 2 bass drums once and absolutely loved it. The sound guy put a beta 52 on each kick and had no trouble dialing them in. I would think that as long as you have them tuned as close to the same pitch, once he has one kick dialed in, mimic the eq on the second one. Shouldn't be that difficult. You owe it to yourself to do it at least once. The setup I played was an 8pc PDP LX series set with 8" piccolo tom, 10, 12, 14, 16, and 2 x 22" bass drums. I even setup a second snare and all 23 of my cymbals and stacks. It was awesome lol.
    DW Drums | DW Hardware | Sabian | Pro-Mark | Evans Drumheads

11. Drumming Since 1943

Quote Originally Posted by drumminjc View Post
    I gigged out with 2 bass drums once and absolutely loved it. The sound guy put a beta 52 on each kick and had no trouble dialing them in. I would think that as long as you have them tuned as close to the same pitch, once he has one kick dialed in, mimic the eq on the second one. Shouldn't be that difficult. You owe it to yourself to do it at least once. The setup I played was an 8pc PDP LX series set with 8" piccolo tom, 10, 12, 14, 16, and 2 x 22" bass drums. I even setup a second snare and all 23 of my cymbals and stacks. It was awesome lol.
    Go big or go home!
    Way Too Much Crap

12. Deferoxa

Quote Originally Posted by MitchLyons View Post
    Iíve got some shows in November that Iím hoping to bring both bass drums out for (if itís delivered on time!) and was just wondering the best way I should go about doing it. Iíve got 2 options in my head so far but Iím always down to hear new ideas.

1) the first idea was to get Kelly Shu mounts for the kicks and internally mount a Beta 91 inside each bass drum. These drums sound amazing and Iíd love to use live kick sounds, but it would be a bit expensive to go this route and it might be hard for the sound man to EQ both kicks identically even though Iím pretty good at tuning and could get them sounding alike. I feel like this would be the easiest for plugging and playing without having to cause too much of a fuss for myself.

2) the cheaper and seemingly easier option for the sound man, grabbing a Roland TM-2 module and 2 kick triggers and triggering the kicks with samples of my own bass drums. I lean towards this option for the consistency in sound and convenience of the situation, but I also know absolutely nothing about doing that sort of thing and worry that it would be a huge pain in the *** for setting up, wiring into the house, etc. On top of that, I know triggers can have inconsistencies and I worry about my trigger sensitivity getting messed up and having my kicks cut in and out during the set. What else would I need for this setup other than the module, triggers, and patch cables?

Thanks in advance for any help!
    Why don't you use pedaltriggers instead of triggers on the bassdrumheads ?

I'm using OnTrigger pedal triggers (https://www.on-trigger.com/en/) in combination with a Roland TM-2 module. But there's also Footblaster (https://footblaster.com/). I have triggers on my double pedal aswel as on my 2 single pedals so if i ever should have a gig with plenty of room on stage i can take my 2 kicks instead of 1. Right now i'm using the 2 single triggerd pedals at home on my big kit.
    The reason i chose for this type of triggering is because this system is much more reliable then the drumhead triggering system.
    And if i should ever have to use a rental kit i don't have to mount a trigger on that kick because they are on my pedals
    My left pedal goes to the roland trigger input 1 and my right pedal to the roland input 2. The output of the roland tm-2 goes to the pa (same principle as with mics)

I'm pretty satisfied with this type of triggering.
    10 pc Pearl Vision VSX #436 Strata Red w/Black HW
    http://www.pearldrummersforum.com/sh...d.php?t=246977Latest pics page 86 !