Pearl Drummers Forum - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Registered User

Default Buying an 17 years old Masters MBX-set

Hey everyone,

Id like to ask you guys for an opinion on the following:

I have the chance to buy an old Masters MBX set from 2004 in my absolute dream colour (diamond burst). That said, the set ist around 17 years old and the person who sells it also bought it second hand. It has some minor damages on the bassdrum hoop and the "paint" of the screws on the inside seems to "fade out". (maybe humidity?)

I was only able to see the set on pictures, as the seller isnt nearby. As the price is around 1.000,00 (new price was around 1.800,00 - 2.000,00 ), it isnt quite cheap and Im just not sure if I should spend that much money on a set that is that old.

Perhaps some of you guys have had similar experience and could give me some advice on what to check out (e.g. rubber might be broken due to the age).

Thanks in advance
    Attached Images Attached Images   

2. Registered Loser

I mean, if the bearing edges are fine, the shells round 'n' sound, and the hardware not deformed or corroded, the kit's just fine regardless of age.

A little cosmetic damage to a bass drum hoop isn't a deal breaker for me*—they attract all sorts of dings and scratches for some reason—but I understand it would be for a number of members here.

*So long as it's reflected in the asking price, that is.

3. Drumming Since 1943

I’m no wood worker but that looks like water damage.
    Way Too Much Crap

4. Skeld-the -wicked

I agree with Feenix on the Kit condition. Here are pics of my brother Daves double bass MMX Diamond Burst just acquired this summer. One from a pdf member Richie Rich and another from a guy named Jack. These drums are hard to find and are some of the best Pearl has ever made Imo. As far as price he paid $1,100.00 US for each 4pc
    Shell packs
    I also own a 2008 MMP IN Diamond Burst 2nd pic.
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Last edited by skeld-the-wicked; 09-24-2021 at 08:26 AM.
    Pearl Drums

5. Skeld-the -wicked

Well, did you get the kit?
    Pearl Drums

6. Drumming Since 1943

Did you post the pics?
    Way Too Much Crap

7. Skeld-the -wicked

ZIGlia, did you buy the Diamond Burst Masters?
    Pearl Drums

8. Registered Loser

Bruh, did you pick up that kit or nah?

9. Registered User

He hasn't been back to the forum since posting this thread. I wouldn't anticipate a quick answer here guys.

10. Skeld-the -wicked

Oh well, maybe he did pick it up but he can’t stop drooling long enough to post pics. Thanks HPD260 for the update.
    Last edited by skeld-the-wicked; 10-01-2021 at 08:11 PM.
    Pearl Drums

11. Registered User

Hi guys,
    first of all, thank you for your replys and sorry for beeing that person that got an answer but didnt post an update! Im really sorry!

Did I get the kit? --> No, unfortunately not. The conditions werent as good as on the posted pics. The hardware and shells were quite "used" on several spots and Ive decided to keep looking out for another offer. Maybe Im gonna invest a few 100 more and be REALLY happy with what I get. Also I wasnt 100 % if there was a water damage in the shell as JY Kelly said.

As Ive "needed" or rather wanted a new set for gigs and the rehearsal space quite quick, I was able to make a steal on an Pearl Visions VBX set fr 375,00 with cheap cymbals (dont really need them) and the included hardware package in nearly brand new conditions as the set was only set up once and was never moved.

I was busy getting the kit yesterday and already started cleaning (using a bit of groove juice shell shine) the dusted shells...

Sorry again for beeing a d**k ...

Some pics of the set

12. Skeld-the -wicked

Quote Originally Posted by ZiGglA View Post
    Hi guys,
    first of all, thank you for your replys and sorry for beeing that person that got an answer but didnt post an update! Im really sorry!

Did I get the kit? --> No, unfortunately not. The conditions werent as good as on the posted pics. The hardware and shells were quite "used" on several spots and Ive decided to keep looking out for another offer. Maybe Im gonna invest a few 100 € more and be REALLY happy with what I get. Also I wasnt 100 % if there was a water damage in the shell as JY Kelly said.

As Ive "needed" or rather wanted a new set for gigs and the rehearsal space quite quick, I was able to make a steal on an Pearl Visions VBX set fr 375,00 € with cheap cymbals (dont really need them) and the included hardware package in nearly brand new conditions as the set was only set up once and was never moved.

I was busy getting the kit yesterday and already started cleaning (using a bit of groove juice shell shine) the dusted shells...

Sorry again for beeing a d**k ...

Some pics of the set

No worries, sometimes things don’t work out. The main thing is that your happy with what you have found. Visions are great drums.Last spring I was looking for a practice/ gig kit that wouldn’t break the bank and found a early 80’s Pearl Professional MLX 4pc + original steel FF snare for a great price it needed some TLC but I’m happy with it
    Pearl Drums