Pearl Drummers Forum - Powered by vBulletin

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. Drumming Since 1943

Quote Originally Posted by drumminjc View Post
    Yeah, I think you might be right.

LMAO! Definitely not what I meant, but hilarious nonetheless.

I don't see anything wrong with that thinking at all. Given the toss up between drums and a Porsche 911, the 911 would win every time lol.
    Annnnd cue Glen posting a pic of two of his 911’s parked next to his barn…
    Way Too Much Crap

2. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by JY Kelly View Post
    Annnnd cue Glen posting a pic of two of his 911’s parked next to his barn…
    I wish.

3. Registered User

Thanks for all of the feedback everyone. I've read each and every one of your comments and find agreement in each one. I do feel like the current state of affairs has been weighing on me a lot lately and now that I really think on it, my lack of joy reaches across all aspects of my life. I've really started focusing on trying not to submerge myself in the current events and to just remain aware. I know things are going to be rocky for the forseeable future until something changes, but I digress.

And @keaton_86, I don't feel like I have buyers remorse. I'm definitely pleased with the purchase and have full intentions of using them for exactly what they are....drums. I will gig with them, record with them, and do everything I've done with every other set I've owned. I am curious about the SQ2 that you were going to purchase. The tones coming out of the SQ2 drums are unbelievable.
    drumminjc, I'm now almost 57 years young and through my lifetime, the best recent advice I have received was to go home and throw a brick though my TV and not pay attention to the latest pathetic current events we have endured! Since then, I now spend more time in conversation with my beautiful wife, two children, friends and quality time behind my lovely Gretsch kit enjoying every practice session I create! I truely hope you find the happiness as I have!

4. Registered User

Very interesting thread here and JC, I am sorry you feeling this way man especially after getting this mammoth of a kit. I think every one hit the nail on the head as far as the why. This whole world situation give us so much time to think and spend inside our heads.

I have been drumming since I was 14 (I am now 40) and I have been doing the whole band thing for as long as I can remember. Done it in France, U.K, Netherland and now here in New Zealand.
    I am quickly coming to a point where all I want to do is play music but I am tired of being in an original band. Stuff takes too long and it is so much work. I no longer have the patience for it.
    But the difference I guess here is that I still want to play. I still get that flame when I look at my kit. So I am looking at alternative ways for me to still enjoy myself.
    I came up with 2 things

1- I have been jamming along to drum less tracks thanks to a channel on YouTube called "Drum Drum Drum" Highly recommend it . A library of unknown songs that you can jam on. Some even have clicks and visuals cues. At the moment, this is bringing a smile on my dial.

2- Join a cover band - I know I know.. but playing live is what I really enjoy doing and lately I have been feeling like Mike Portnoy when he left Dream Theater. Sometimes you just want to play and not think about anything.

We are with you all the way man and find comfort in knowing that we have all been through this too.

Good luck!
    "I consider every drummer that ever played before me an influence, in every way"
    Buddy Rich

5. Registered Loser

Given the toss up between drums and a Porsche 911, the 911 would win every time lol.
    I mean, a drum kit doesn't even have an engine. Or wheels. Of course the 911 would win that race.

(inb4 someone dredges up some old Tommy Lee kit or something sporting an engine and wheels)

6. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Feenix View Post
    I mean, a drum kit doesn't even have an engine. Or wheels. Of course the 911 would win that race.

(inb4 someone dredges up some old Tommy Lee kit or something sporting an engine and wheels)
    I LOL'd at your disclaimer.

7. Registered User

Yeah, I think you might be right.

LMAO! Definitely not what I meant, but hilarious nonetheless.

I don't see anything wrong with that thinking at all. Given the toss up between drums and a Porsche 911, the 911 would win every time lol.
    For the record it's not a brand new 911, I'm not a millionaire haha.

8. The Sensitone Guy

Time to pack up the drums and take a break. Let them sit in cases for years if need be. One of these days you'll catch the urge. And if not, who cares? Spend your newfound time doing new things: fishing, hunting, hiking, traveling, etc... Whatever! Go out and do whatever you want to do. The drums will be waiting for you if that time comes.

9. Unban nik12

I went through a similar experience a few years back in early 2019. I was in a really toxic band and when it finally, dramatically, ended I took a break because I genuinely didnít want to play. I donít think I touched my kit for 7-8 months until I started a new band with some friends on the premise that it would be just for fun. Since then, Iíve found a new love for playing the drums, even by myself. I never really practiced before that incident and now I love to practice and push myself to learn new things on the kit.

It comes and goes with everyone I think. No shame in packing up the kit and stepping away for a while, always do whatís best for you and your mental health.
    Black Lives Matter

Tama Starclassic Maple

10. life start at 125bpm

That's possible but I've never played drums for praise. I honestly don't want any recognition at all when I play. For me, it's always been about making music and playing to the best of my abilities and not necessarily how many drums I have. It's just a weird feeling that I can't describe as I've never not enjoyed playing drums. I used to spend hours at home jamming away on the drums practicing and always trying to improve and now I can't spend 5 minutes doing it. I do hope it's just a rut that I can eventually overcome. I suppose time will tell.

JC. i notice that your motivation to play is the same as mine. you say that you have been playing for 26 years, that you have always had the drumsticks in your hand every day...for the pleasure of playing well, of challenging yourself to perform the way you like, the way you project yourself as a drummer ; and now, after more than 20 years, you have lost this desire to challenge yourself on the drums.

I have been going through the same thing as you for more than a year now, and it is possible that after more than 3 decades, I have moved on.

you just have to accept the fact that it's possible that you're in transition, and that you can find yourself somewhere else than on drums. try something else, throw your creativity elsewhere, in another discipline, a sport, an art. .... whatever it is, try to exploit yourself elsewhere than in this place, it's the only way to have a clear and definitive answer to the question: ''is it for good, or is it just an empty passage'''''''.

you know, after decades of playing, practicing to always get better at it (challenging yourself at getting better and better every day) , evolving on a musical instrument, it happens that ''the subject'''' is now empty , especially if we don't earn our living with music.

there is also the fact that imposing a very high standard of playing wears us out, especially if we don't earn our living with music.

it's easy to justify a daily discipline when we earn money with our instrument, but it's as easy, especially after years and years, to get mentally empty.

The subconscious mind can play tricks on us and tell us that we are fed up, and that all this discipline only brings personal satisfaction, but nothing else real.

And that's when the void is created.

i hope you'll see clear into yourself after awhile. i'm sure you'll eventually find your path again.
    RUSH FOREVER RUSH
    tama SC B/B anthique sunburst 14-10-8-10-12--16-22 - reference snare 14x5-pearl ultracast 14X5- pearl FF brass 14X5-tama hardware/pedals
    sabian HHX's/AAX's

WTB:AAX -HHX-SR2's large crashes

11. Registered User

@JC - Do you play any other instruments? I've ranted about this before, but learning guitar has made me completely rethink how I approach drumming.

12. HERTA so good!

Thanks again everyone for taking the time to read and respond. I've reach each and every word you all have written. I've come to the conclusion that I let circumstances that are out of my control affect my every day life and that is unnecessary. I've decided to peel away from all negativity and trying to focus solely on the positive. I've played my drums a few times since writing this thread and have seemed to enjoy it a bit more each time I play. I've got a show this Saturday that I'm also looking forward to so we will see how it goes. I've been playing to drumless tracks which has also been fun. I appreciate the drumming community and what each of you bring to the table!

And @keaton_86, I can play a few chords on the guitar but am definitely no master. Every time I try to learn more guitar, I find myself wanting to sit back behind the kit instead.
    DW Drums | DW Hardware | Sabian | Pro-Mark | Evans Drumheads