Pearl Drummers Forum - Powered by vBulletin

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 13 to 24 of 39
  1. Registered Loser

    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    1,834

    Default

    Is it just drumming? Or are you feeling this way about a number of things you used to enjoy? If the latter, you might have a case of the sads, which is understandable given the state of the world these days.

    If the former, like most are suggesting, it might be a good time to try something totally new behind the kit and if that doesn't get any traction take a bit of hiatus. Find something else to channel passion into for a bit. Take up woodworking or knitting or something.

    I'd also have doubled down on Sticks' original suggestion that often an actual dream [object] isn't quite as fulfilling as the idea of a dream [object] makes it out to be and that can be a bummer, but you've already addressed that concern.

  2. Away From The World

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Hawke's Bay, New Zealand
    Posts
    34,082

    Default

    I empathize JC, and reminds us that even a dream kit doesn't change everything. I'm messed up, haven't played my kit in a meaningful way in a long time. I look at it everyday as my PC is set up in the same room. Yes life is busy and priorities vary, but its as though I make excuses to not play rather than taking the opportunity to play. WTH?? I've had the thoughts of selling gear but even my wife has said don't do that. And I probably watch too many pro player clips, creating an uneasy mix of enthusiasm and discouragement. So I hope you find the joy again soon, and cheers for raising the issue. I just need a slap!

    Pearl Masters MCX Bronze Glass
    8x7 | 10x8 | 12x9 | 14x14 | 16x16 | 20x14G | 22x18

    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Foreman View Post
    Practice makes perfect. But ultimately, I am living proof that you don't need to play well to enjoy gear. You might be surprised how much enjoyment you can get while still sucking.

  3. Registered User

    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Charlotte, N.C.
    Posts
    2,809

    Default

    The world as a whole has gone to hell and you've basically upended your entire musical career. It's natural for stuff to feel weird.

    Take time off, reorient, and come back when you're ready. Be it six days or six months, makes no matter. The gear will be waiting when you're ready.

  4. Registered User

    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    C-town
    Posts
    374

    Default

    I took a hiatus in 2019 to return to school, but I was burned out anyway. In the meantime, a few compilation recording projects allowed me to record drums at my pace in my home, then submit the tracks. I also did a drum cover video. These were fun projects to do when I was motivated. In May 2021, I bought a Meinl Turbo Slap-Top cajon to use at an acoustic gig with old friends. That 30 minute performance, and the prep for it, felt really good. In July I played an hour set with other former bandmates, and it was so fun; no hassle or pressure. I cobbled together a light-weight 4 pc kit, and we had a great time after 2 rehearsals.

    I guess I'm saying don't be concerned about taking a break. Something will draw you back, a bit at a time.

    Regarding your splashes from the other thread. I suggest placing them wherever you want and forget about aesthetics. At our level, audiences don't care much for how a drum kit appears on stage. I'm over that. My crashes are elevated and angled like back in high school because it feels comfortable.

  5. Registered User

    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Berlin - Germany
    Posts
    2,628

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Feenix View Post
    I'd also have doubled down on Sticks' original suggestion that often an actual dream [object] isn't quite as fulfilling as the idea of a dream [object] makes it out to be and that can be a bummer, but you've already addressed that concern.
    Yeah, it could be a form of buyers remorse. Not remorse exactly per se, but the feeling of "where to from here" now that you've got what you wanted. I had that exact feeling just before I was about to buy an SQ2 kit and stopped myself at the last minute because I really had to think if it was what I wanted, or if it was what i wanted to show off to my 14 year old self and a bunch of people on drum forums I've never met. I'm still not sure what it is but it stopped me dead in my tracks.

  6. HERTA so good!

    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Georgia
    Posts
    2,895

    Default

    Thanks for all of the feedback everyone. I've read each and every one of your comments and find agreement in each one. I do feel like the current state of affairs has been weighing on me a lot lately and now that I really think on it, my lack of joy reaches across all aspects of my life. I've really started focusing on trying not to submerge myself in the current events and to just remain aware. I know things are going to be rocky for the forseeable future until something changes, but I digress.

    And @keaton_86, I don't feel like I have buyers remorse. I'm definitely pleased with the purchase and have full intentions of using them for exactly what they are....drums. I will gig with them, record with them, and do everything I've done with every other set I've owned. I am curious about the SQ2 that you were going to purchase. The tones coming out of the SQ2 drums are unbelievable.
    DW Drums | DW Hardware | Sabian | Pro-Mark | Evans Drumheads


  7. Registered User

    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    What would you say .. Ya do here?
    Posts
    3,580

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by drumminjc View Post
    This has been ongoing now for a little more than 6 months now. It started with my walking away from playing for my church where I've been the drummer for the past 19 years. Every time I sit down at the drums, everything feels off and I lose interest quickly and end up putting down the sticks after a few minutes. I've recently had a few shows with a local band that I used to really enjoy playing with and end up walking away feeling defeated after the shows are over. I've never experienced this before at this level and I can't understand what's happening. Drumming has always been my passion and I've had a pair of sticks in my hand every day for the past 26 years.

    Have any of you experienced this? If so, how did you cope with it? I assume the desire will return eventually but for now, I'm ready to just pack up all of my drums and let them collect dust. Which sucks granted that I just received my dream kit and can't even make myself play it.
    Sorry to hear that JC, I think you just need a break. Your sentence here might sum it up best ..
    Quote Originally Posted by dexplosion View Post
    Boom stands are for sissies.

  8. Registered Loser

    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    1,834

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Snakes&Arrows View Post
    Sorry to hear that JC, I think you just need a break. Your sentence here might sum it up best ..
    Yeah, nobody here should have Sticks' pair in their hand that often.

  9. Drumming Since 1943

    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    20,263

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Feenix View Post
    Yeah, nobody here should have Sticks' pair in their hand that often.
    WIN
    Way Too Much Crap

  10. Registered User

    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Berlin - Germany
    Posts
    2,628

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by drumminjc View Post
    Thanks for all of the feedback everyone. I've read each and every one of your comments and find agreement in each one. I do feel like the current state of affairs has been weighing on me a lot lately and now that I really think on it, my lack of joy reaches across all aspects of my life. I've really started focusing on trying not to submerge myself in the current events and to just remain aware. I know things are going to be rocky for the forseeable future until something changes, but I digress.

    And @keaton_86, I don't feel like I have buyers remorse. I'm definitely pleased with the purchase and have full intentions of using them for exactly what they are....drums. I will gig with them, record with them, and do everything I've done with every other set I've owned. I am curious about the SQ2 that you were going to purchase. The tones coming out of the SQ2 drums are unbelievable.
    I think I articulated my answer slightly wrong - I don't mean buyers remorse, its more of a feeling of deflation after getting what you've been lusting after for a while, but either way, I'm sure you'll enjoy that new kit. It's gorgeous.


    About the SQ2: I was about to order a heavy beech SQ2 in almost standard sizes. 10,12,14,16 and 20 kick (and a 24 kick to be ordered a few years later) but as I was going to do it I backed out. Basically my drums would be in New Zealand, while I live in Germany. Thats a lot of money to spend on a kit that i'd get to play for about 4 months every two years. On top of that, at the stage I'm at in my life (34 years old, no kids, tasty income) it makes more sense to put my money into stocks or crypto or property than it does to buy drums when I already have a kit. On top of that, I want to also buy a Porsche 911 as a semi-investment in the next few years and getting an Sq2 and a 911 past my wife would be a difficult sell, so I'm choosing my battles. Finally, I played a Ludwig classic maple and i absolutely loved how it sounded, so that also weighed in on my decision.

  11. HERTA so good!

    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Georgia
    Posts
    2,895

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Snakes&Arrows View Post
    Sorry to hear that JC, I think you just need a break. Your sentence here might sum it up best ..
    Yeah, I think you might be right.

    Quote Originally Posted by Feenix View Post
    Yeah, nobody here should have Sticks' pair in their hand that often.
    Quote Originally Posted by JY Kelly View Post
    WIN
    LMAO! Definitely not what I meant, but hilarious nonetheless.

    Quote Originally Posted by keaton_86 View Post
    I think I articulated my answer slightly wrong - I don't mean buyers remorse, its more of a feeling of deflation after getting what you've been lusting after for a while, but either way, I'm sure you'll enjoy that new kit. It's gorgeous.


    About the SQ2: I was about to order a heavy beech SQ2 in almost standard sizes. 10,12,14,16 and 20 kick (and a 24 kick to be ordered a few years later) but as I was going to do it I backed out. Basically my drums would be in New Zealand, while I live in Germany. Thats a lot of money to spend on a kit that i'd get to play for about 4 months every two years. On top of that, at the stage I'm at in my life (34 years old, no kids, tasty income) it makes more sense to put my money into stocks or crypto or property than it does to buy drums when I already have a kit. On top of that, I want to also buy a Porsche 911 as a semi-investment in the next few years and getting an Sq2 and a 911 past my wife would be a difficult sell, so I'm choosing my battles. Finally, I played a Ludwig classic maple and i absolutely loved how it sounded, so that also weighed in on my decision.
    I don't see anything wrong with that thinking at all. Given the toss up between drums and a Porsche 911, the 911 would win every time lol.
    DW Drums | DW Hardware | Sabian | Pro-Mark | Evans Drumheads


  12. Registered User

    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    4,492

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Feenix View Post
    Yeah, nobody here should have Sticks' pair in their hand that often.
    Wait, what?

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •