Pearl Drummers Forum - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1. HERTA so good!

Default Losing the desire to play.

This has been ongoing now for a little more than 6 months now. It started with my walking away from playing for my church where I've been the drummer for the past 19 years. Every time I sit down at the drums, everything feels off and I lose interest quickly and end up putting down the sticks after a few minutes. I've recently had a few shows with a local band that I used to really enjoy playing with and end up walking away feeling defeated after the shows are over. I've never experienced this before at this level and I can't understand what's happening. Drumming has always been my passion and I've had a pair of sticks in my hand every day for the past 26 years.

Have any of you experienced this? If so, how did you cope with it? I assume the desire will return eventually but for now, I'm ready to just pack up all of my drums and let them collect dust. Which sucks granted that I just received my dream kit and can't even make myself play it.
    DW Drums | DW Hardware | Sabian | Pro-Mark | Evans Drumheads

2. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by drumminjc View Post
    This has been ongoing now for a little more than 6 months now. It started with my walking away from playing for my church where I've been the drummer for the past 19 years. Every time I sit down at the drums, everything feels off and I lose interest quickly and end up putting down the sticks after a few minutes. I've recently had a few shows with a local band that I used to really enjoy playing with and end up walking away feeling defeated after the shows are over. I've never experienced this before at this level and I can't understand what's happening. Drumming has always been my passion and I've had a pair of sticks in my hand every day for the past 26 years.

Have any of you experienced this? If so, how did you cope with it? I assume the desire will return eventually but for now, I'm ready to just pack up all of my drums and let them collect dust. Which sucks granted that I just received my dream kit and can't even make myself play it.
    Maybe Someone is trying to teach you that it is not the drums but the drumming you need to find joy in. I know I got into a bad rut always needing more drums, and focusing on the drums instead of the art. I played drums in churches for over 30 years. When I realized I was doing it more for me and the praise I received I gave it up. Hope you can get over this hump.

3. HERTA so good!

Quote Originally Posted by sticks4drums View Post
    Maybe Someone is trying to teach you that it is not the drums but the drumming you need to find joy in. I know I got into a bad rut always needing more drums, and focusing on the drums instead of the art. I played drums in churches for over 30 years. When I realized I was doing it more for me and the praise I received I gave it up. Hope you can get over this hump.
    That's possible but I've never played drums for praise. I honestly don't want any recognition at all when I play. For me, it's always been about making music and playing to the best of my abilities and not necessarily how many drums I have. It's just a weird feeling that I can't describe as I've never not enjoyed playing drums. I used to spend hours at home jamming away on the drums practicing and always trying to improve and now I can't spend 5 minutes doing it. I do hope it's just a rut that I can eventually overcome. I suppose time will tell.
    DW Drums | DW Hardware | Sabian | Pro-Mark | Evans Drumheads

4. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by drumminjc View Post
    That's possible but I've never played drums for praise. I honestly don't want any recognition at all when I play. For me, it's always been about making music and playing to the best of my abilities and not necessarily how many drums I have. It's just a weird feeling that I can't describe as I've never not enjoyed playing drums. I used to spend hours at home jamming away on the drums practicing and always trying to improve and now I can't spend 5 minutes doing it. I do hope it's just a rut that I can eventually overcome. I suppose time will tell.
    Glad to hear those aren’t your struggles. Take some time away and focus on some other things in your life. The want to play will most certainly come back.

5. Registered User

Dude, I think it's just the world at the moment. I was saying to my wife last night how little joy I get from anything and I think it's just the world getting me down. What with covid, global warming, flooding and god knows what else, it's not surprising our passions are suffering.

It's a shame you feel this way when you just got such a killer kit. Maybe try a completely different setup, or tune the drums super high or something and it might get you out of your rut a bit?

6. Registered User

I think we've all been there before. Sometimes a break is all you need. Maybe a teacher would help?

7. Drumming Since 1943

JC- I’m literally in the same spot as you right now. I’m in a super rut and am really bothered by the lack of passion. I LOVE drums and drumming. It’s really disconcerting where my head is at right now. It’s not just you. Like others have said, perhaps step away from it for a bit.

I’m also gonna go ahead and agree with Keaton as well. The world is most certainly weighing on me lately. Things feel like they’re breaking apart.

“Things fall apart. The center does not hold.”
    Way Too Much Crap

8. More IS More

this is classic burnout. I think alot of us have been there. taking a step back for a while and finding the place you want to be is better that staying in places you don't want to be. giving up the band for a while is likely an easy decision. bands come and go. the decision to step down from your praise team is a harder decision. is it going to be temporary or permanent? is there someone younger looking to step into this role? I've literally left churches that couldn't make a place for me to plug into as a musician. I've also left bands with dream musicians that refused to help load in/out and setup. something to think about.

If you have a 18x16 kick (Export series badge NOT ELX) in color blue mist (#273)
    PM ME

I'm also looking for pc-50s, and CH-80s
    the biggest blue mist export EVER

9. Registered User

Maybe stretching out into learning something else? Trying a different genre can help, especially one you haven’t played before. For a lot of rock drummers, this can be jazz, reggae, Latin, or even Motown. Once you find some artists you like in that genre, playing along and then diving into those drummers’ influences can prove to be a great source of inspiration and challenges. Then maybe try to find a new side band to jam with, or hit up open jams outside of your regular genre. In short, new music and/or new people.

10. Registered User

I went through a phase like that around 2008 so I just stopped trying to make myself play. My drums weren't even set up for about a year and then one day I wanted to play again. I haven't stopped since.

I was also a much better player after that time off. I lost a lot of bad habits and spent a year just listening to and thinking about music, not trying to play anything. It was the best thing for me.
    "Why is that mirror sneezing?"

"Ah, look, it's just an old, creaky mirror, y'know, sometimes it sounds a little like it's sneezing, or coughing, or talking softly."

11. old dog, new tricks

Quote Originally Posted by keaton_86 View Post
    Dude, I think it's just the world at the moment. I was saying to my wife last night how little joy I get from anything and I think it's just the world getting me down. What with covid, global warming, flooding and god knows what else, it's not surprising our passions are suffering.

It's a shame you feel this way when you just got such a killer kit. Maybe try a completely different setup, or tune the drums super high or something and it might get you out of your rut a bit?
    Quote Originally Posted by j kuhl View Post
    I think we've all been there before. Sometimes a break is all you need. Maybe a teacher would help?
    I agree with both these posts and also suggest that there's nothing wrong with taking a break. I know this won't help much but how about being thankful that you have the opportunity to set up and play as some of us don't have that. I'm fortunate to have my e-kit but I simply can't set up my stave kit at home and nobody is booking rehearsal space because of Covid.
    “You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your informed opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant.” - Harlan Ellison

link below for my kit build thread

https://www.pearldrummersforum.com/s...t-build-thread

12. Go Back To The 90s!

We’ve all been there, I’m the same way right now. I had the day off the other day and was excited to play some drums after a long time, but as soon as I picked up the sticks I played for about two minutes and got up.
    Check out the band: State Line Syndicate