Pearl Drummers Forum - Powered by vBulletin

1. HERTA so good!

Default Splash placement ideas

So I've been working on trying to get my new drum set configured and am hitting a bit of a snag. This is my first 7pc set and I'm struggling to find good placement for the splashes without covering up my 8" tom. I like my sets to be both visually appealing and ergonomic at the same time. I've generally been able to achieve this with minimal hardware. I'm going for a clean look without a ton of hardware and boom arms everywhere. Here's where I'm at so far. Any suggestions/tips? Feel free to show me your spash placements as well.
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    DW Drums | DW Hardware | Sabian | Pro-Mark | Evans Drumheads

2. bangin since '95

Name:  241338975_909401899932960_5041316782837143944_n.jpg
Views: 119
Size:  80.6 KB

I just piggy back mine. Of course my setup is absurdly tight so it may not be for everyone.
    Tama Starclassic Bubinga in Satin Aztec Gold Metallic -Sabian Cymbals-Pro-Mark Sticks-Remo Drumheads

3. Registered User

Put one on the left side of the hi hats, put one flipped upside down on your left side crash, raise your left side crash a tad and put the smaller splash under it just to the right of the hi hat. The possibilities are kind of endless.

4. old dog, new tricks

Quote Originally Posted by Tommy_D View Post
    Put one on the left side of the hi hats, put one flipped upside down on your left side crash, raise your left side crash a tad and put the smaller splash under it just to the right of the hi hat. The possibilities are kind of endless.
    great point. In a 2 splash set up, I always put one splash between my upper toms and one to left of the hi-hat so I can access a splash with either hand.
    “You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your informed opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant.” - Harlan Ellison

link below for my kit build thread

https://www.pearldrummersforum.com/s...t-build-thread

5. ex-hipodilski

I have my 10 and 12 splashes mounted almost the same way as you and it's been working fine for me the last 6 years or so. Name:  drums_2015_2.jpg
Views: 112
Size:  94.5 KB

6. Away From The World

My three left side splashes, two more above the middle toms.

Name:  20210920_060040.jpg
Views: 78
Size:  45.7 KB

Pearl Masters MCX Bronze Glass
    8x7 | 10x8 | 12x9 | 14x14 | 16x16 | 20x14G | 22x18

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Foreman View Post
    Practice makes perfect. But ultimately, I am living proof that you don't need to play well to enjoy gear. You might be surprised how much enjoyment you can get while still sucking.

7. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by drumminjc View Post
    So I've been working on trying to get my new drum set configured and am hitting a bit of a snag. This is my first 7pc set and I'm struggling to find good placement for the splashes without covering up my 8" tom. I like my sets to be both visually appealing and ergonomic at the same time. I've generally been able to achieve this with minimal hardware. I'm going for a clean look without a ton of hardware and boom arms everywhere. Here's where I'm at so far. Any suggestions/tips? Feel free to show me your spash placements as well.
    Reminds me a little bit of Ginger Baker’s kit.

8. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Kiwi View Post
    My three left side splashes, two more above the middle toms.

Name:  20210920_060040.jpg
Views: 78
Size:  45.7 KB

KIWI!!!!!! You are back!!!..Its been a while.
    "I consider every drummer that ever played before me an influence, in every way"
    Buddy Rich

9. Playing since 1976

Over toms, or on each side of your hihat, but the main thing is "keep'em low" so you can't put too much "swing" into striking them.

Name:  ParagonsplashesandMPstax2.jpg
Views: 62
Size:  90.8 KB
    Website ===> CLICK HERE
    Reverb Listings ===> CLICK HERE
    eBay Auctions ===> CLICK HERE
    YouTube channel ===> CLICK HERE

10. HERTA so good!

Thanks for all of the feedback everyone! For now, I've decided to just use one splash until I get things worked out. In the current position, there's still quite a bit of reach required to comfortably hit the 10" that I have mounted. I'm still tweaking things a bit and have a few more things to add to the setup before I get things completely nailed down. I like this so far but am not loving it yet.
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    DW Drums | DW Hardware | Sabian | Pro-Mark | Evans Drumheads

11. Registered User

I’ve always put them to the left of the hihat.

12. Registered User

Between the 10 and 12 toms is where I put my biggest splash. And that’s where drilled bass drums are more practical.
    My previous Ludwig kit; Pearl Sensitone Aluminum , Pork Pie, Black Panther and Crush snares.
    DW 5000, Pearl modded P-102, P-120P & P-2002B. IC Powerglide. Many cymbals from the big 3.
    Tiny pic of my old cymbal setup.