Pearl Drummers Forum - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Registered User

Default Thinking about getting a rack for a small kit. Looking for ideas...

I have a 10x8 12x8 14x14 (ft) and 20x15 kick on the way and am thinking about going with a small, or stealth rack setup for a nice clean footprint. I'll be setting up a pair of hats. 3 crashes, a splash and at least one ride. A snare of course as well. I really like the Yamaha hex racks but am not ruling out other options. I've seen such cool setups on here but admit, that I've never put any planning into designing the layout of my hw and in this case, a rack and kit. I'd love some help with some cool design ideas that would be enough to hold up all of my gear, while also having a really clean and subtle footprint. Looking forward to seeing some pics.

2. Playing since 1976

If the Yamaha hex pipes can be shortened easily, I would try that system, because it is really cool looking. You can't go wrong with Gibraltar, for their value, and variety of parts and accessories. Before you get into a particular brand, check pricing and AVAILABILITY. You might be surprised. I'm surprised to see the Yamaha rack was not as expensive as I thought it would be.
    Website ===> CLICK HERE
    Reverb Listings ===> CLICK HERE
    eBay Auctions ===> CLICK HERE
    YouTube channel ===> CLICK HERE

3. Drumming Since 1943

Quote Originally Posted by Drumming-4-Life View Post
    If the Yamaha hex pipes can be shortened easily, I would try that system, because it is really cool looking. You can't go wrong with Gibraltar, for their value, and variety of parts and accessories. Before you get into a particular brand, check pricing and AVAILABILITY. You might be surprised. I'm surprised to see the Yamaha rack was not as expensive as I thought it would be.
    Availability is a MAJOR issue right now across all industries. Washing machines, cars, musical equipment, etc- it’s all backed up. Matt’s correct- check and recheck availability.
    Way Too Much Crap

4. Registered User

My setup isn't exactly the same since I run 1 up/2 down; but you get the idea.

This is two Gibralter side stealth racks at it's core. Hopefully it spurs some ideas.

Name:  PXL_20210506_193942326.jpg
Views: 180
Size:  88.5 KB
    Name:  PXL_20210506_194024682.jpg
Views: 181
Size:  89.3 KB
    Name:  PXL_20210506_193953626.jpg
Size:  84.5 KB
    Name:  PXL_20210506_190953900.jpg
Size:  92.2 KB

5. Registered User

I think if you used the two side stealth leg mounts closest to the bass drum for your two rack toms; you'll have a super clean look from the front.

Name:  PXL_20210506_191049548.jpg
Views: 203
Size:  104.5 KB
    Name:  PXL_20210506_192459987.jpg
Views: 203
Size:  92.5 KB

6. Pearl Masters Drummer

Jamie,
    Mine is not a stealth rack but I did configure it to be super easy, ergonomic for me, and quick for setup and tear down. I cut one of the front supports to make a wing on the right side to mount my ozone as well.

I have no idea why two of these pics uploaded sideways. No idea how to fix that. Any ideas?
    Attached Images Attached Images    

7. FKA Tasty808

One of my favorite ideas comes from a Gibraltar piece I wasn’t too keen on until I saw it used a certain way. The “V” shaped cross bars I thought looked tacky were used as uprights with the angle used outwards as a support leg.

Name:  88875ED1-1DF0-43A2-86B3-8DD1B874A349.jpg
Views: 173
Size:  82.3 KB

I think this basic concept could be adapted to a smaller set up like you described.

Are you trying to mount the two racks offset or in a more traditional layout with one mounted from either side of the kick?

8. FKA Tasty808

Another set up I really enjoy the basic concept of was from one of the new Pearl Icon rack set-ups. I’m not a huge fan of the rack spanning the front of the kit, across the bass drum. I’d prefer two smaller, “stealth” pieces, one on either side of the kick. This particular set-up was a good starting point…

Name:  01FD375F-3B1D-40C1-A2CA-5DBBDCF7DFA0.jpg
Views: 201
Size:  23.3 KB

This pic was from a series of videos where the rack was seen put together in stages. I screen captured this beginning stage be cause I didn’t like the end result but thought it was a great base to start from.

9. FKA Tasty808

And here’s a real simple cut down of a more traditional style, across the kick, kind of set-up that I think was done well.

Name:  80AE7F84-9E26-4DBA-86C7-F4F84C6D4E98.jpg
Views: 175
Size:  93.2 KB

10. FKA Tasty808

And here’s the last thing I’m going to post. The first is just a cool looking set-up where everything is mounted from the ground that could be a real clean look if done properly…

Name:  1018497D-A389-484F-ADEE-E66D4FBC96B9.jpg
Views: 171
Size:  53.9 KB

And the next is a better pick of what I was describing in an earlier post about using the “V” arms from Gibraltar. I’d like to use a longer horizontal tube attached to the smaller support leg closest to the kick to run parallel to the kick and support a snare stand.

Name:  C6370AB8-C2DC-4D56-B886-9A0CA3BB819C.jpg
Views: 172
Size:  71.8 KB

11. Drumming Since 1943

That last pic looks like a ****ton of hardware.
    Way Too Much Crap

12. old dog, new tricks

Quote Originally Posted by Drumming-4-Life View Post
    As someone who uses a Yamaha Hex Rack (for my e-kit) I can attest to their awesomeness. I previously owned a Gibraltar Road Series rack and it was great but the Yamaha is superior in my opinion as it is lighter, just as strong and more flexible. It also looks cooler.

And yes, they should be no more difficult than any other rack to modify the bars if you so desire.
    “You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your informed opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant.” - Harlan Ellison

link below for my kit build thread

https://www.pearldrummersforum.com/s...t-build-thread