Pearl Drummers Forum - Powered by vBulletin

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
  1. Drum sales/service

Merry Christmas, all! I've been away for far too long (going to school in addition to working and playing gigs), and it seems I've missed some posts in which I can lend my experience.
    Jamie, this is my "inside out" rack, also dubbed the "ghost rack" by Brent Barnett at Gibraltar. Like you, I also use a 20" bass drum. My setup is also made possible by an Off-Set double pedal and the legs have been removed from the hi hat stand in order to attach it to the horizontal rack bar, which runs behind the bass drum. The upper toms appear to "float" in midair, and everything is heavily modified (aka cut to fit) to shave as much weight as possible from my hardware case.
    Name:  2020setup1.0.jpg
Views: 101
Size:  101.2 KB
    In this overhead shot, the rack seems to disappear completely!
    Name:  2020setup1.jpg
Views: 99
Size:  116.6 KB
    Here's the rack alone:
    Name:  2021rack.jpg
Size:  102.1 KB
    I hope this helps with planning and setting up your new kit. Looking forward to seeing what you come up with!
    Pearl MCX Mocha Tamo
    Pearl ELX Green Fade
    Pearl EXX Electric Blue Sparkle

2. Drumming Since 1943

I may have asked you this in an older post but could you tell me about the platform that your drums are on?
    Still Way Too Much Crap

3. Drum sales/service

Quote Originally Posted by JY Kelly View Post
    I may have asked you this in an older post but could you tell me about the platform that your drums are on?
    Of course! They are called "Dunnage Racks" made out of structural plastic. Here's the link:
    https://spcindustrial.com/product-category/dunnage/
    Pearl MCX Mocha Tamo
    Pearl ELX Green Fade

4. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by PercWorld View Post
    Merry Christmas, all! I've been away for far too long (going to school in addition to working and playing gigs), and it seems I've missed some posts in which I can lend my experience.
    Jamie, this is my "inside out" rack, also dubbed the "ghost rack" by Brent Barnett at Gibraltar. Like you, I also use a 20" bass drum. My setup is also made possible by an Off-Set double pedal and the legs have been removed from the hi hat stand in order to attach it to the horizontal rack bar, which runs behind the bass drum. The upper toms appear to "float" in midair, and everything is heavily modified (aka cut to fit) to shave as much weight as possible from my hardware case.
    Here's the rack alone:
    I hope this helps with planning and setting up your new kit. Looking forward to seeing what you come up with!
    Such a great set up! I'll never come up with something as cool haha. I'll certainly be referring to these pics when I get my kit rolling.

5. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by PercWorld View Post
    Here's the rack alone:
    Of all the kits on this forum that I'd love to have a go on, yours is at the top. It just looks like so much fun.

6. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by HPD260 View Post
    Of all the kits on this forum that I'd love to have a go on, yours is at the top. It just looks like so much fun.
    Agreed. No wasted space anywhere.

7. Drumming Since 1943

Agreed. Once I get my drums out of the destroyed building they’re still in and find a new studio, I’ll 100% be looking in to this platform.

Also, please explain the condenser mic placement. Have never seen that.
    Still Way Too Much Crap

8. Enjoy Every Sandwich

Must’ve missed it…what happened?

Had to pull all my stuff out of a building that was wrecked by Hurricane Ida. Drums survived (thankfully) but the building is going to need some major repairs.

9. Drumming Since 1943

Still Way Too Much Crap

10. Registered User

Any news on if your stuff survived the rekindle?

11. Drumming Since 1943

Any news on if your stuff survived the rekindle?
    Everything is still intact. The issue now is actually getting into the building legally to retrieve all of our stuff. The entire building is considered a crime scene at the moment and no one is allowed in. As long as they give us some time to get our stuff out before they knock the building down I’ll be happy.
    Still Way Too Much Crap

12. Drum sales/service

Quote Originally Posted by j kuhl View Post
    Agreed. No wasted space anywhere.
    Quote Originally Posted by JY Kelly View Post
    Agreed. Once I get my drums out of the destroyed building they’re still in and find a new studio, I’ll 100% be looking in to this platform.
    Also, please explain the condenser mic placement. Have never seen that.
    Thanks! I do have fun on this kit, and although I don't use the platform for every gig, it certainly keeps things consistent. The legs were 12" high, but I found them a bit too tall, so with the help of a friend (and his miter saw), I chopped them down by about half.
    Since I set up and tear down this kit all the time, I just wanted to carry less stuff, so I ended up putting both overhead mics on one boom. The mics are in a X/Y configuration, centered above the snare. I know it's somewhat improper because the capsules are supposed to be closer together (more like a 'V' shape), but I'm still experimenting with the placement on the dual mic holder.
    Pearl MCX Mocha Tamo
    Pearl ELX Green Fade