Pearl Drummers Forum - Powered by vBulletin

1. Registered User

Default Cracked Bass Drum - HELP!

Hey all,

I have a Pearl Masters Birch kit that I sold on eBay. However, during shipment, it was damaged. I packed this thing so good (took the lugs off and all), and somehow FedEx still managed to damage it. So long story short, the inside of the bass drum has a crack about 4-6 inches in length running from the edge of the drum (bearing edge and reinforcement rings) towards the center of the shell.

I wanted to inquire if anyone has had a shell crack on the inside and how to fix the issue? It seems to only be about half the plies, so it doesn't go through the whole shell. Any assistance would be appreciated!

Also, the lacquer was damaged too. Any tips on fixing that would be awesome, although not as big of deal, as I can live with it

Thanks again!

J.
    Pearl - Istanbul Agop - Evans - Vater - Snareweight - Drumdots

Drummers For Christ

2. A Passion Play ...

A quality thinned down wood glue and clamps will
    take care of the crack. Is the re-ring and or bearing
    edge damaged too ? The finish can be matched and
    Buffed out. Decent amount of work but it can be done.
    Please post some pics of the crack. Inside and out. Glue
    and wood filler can do wonders. Best of luck.
    Eric G : Pearl,pAiSTe,Remo,Vic Firth,SKB,Roc n Soc,Roland V-Drums. Masters MCX Chestnut fade.
    22"x18",10"x8",12"x9",16"x16". Ian Paice Snare. Why not ...

3. A Passion Play ...

Did you have any insurance with Fed-Ex ??
    Eric G : Pearl,pAiSTe,Remo,Vic Firth,SKB,Roc n Soc,Roland V-Drums. Masters MCX Chestnut fade.

4. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Eric View Post
    Did you have any insurance with Fed-Ex ??
    Thanks for the feedback! I'll definitely try my luck with wood filler and glue. Any particular brand you found works best for drums?

As far as insurance is concerned, it took a couple weeks and many phone calls, but I managed to get a full refund for what I sold it for on eBay from FedEx. Luckily I always take pics of the shipping containers and my packing before sending them out. FedEx has a policy where you have to have 2" of packaging between the item and the inside of the box. I am guessing this is their "loophole" to getting out of paying many claims. But in my case, I had sufficient packaging and while they tried to deny the claim at first, they ultimately paid out. The boxes honestly looked like someone had chucked them against the wall and their were holes on the outside walls. Never seen anything like it.

Thanks!

Drummers For Christ

5. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by drummerj6 View Post

Thanks!
    So you SOLD it to somebody.... right?? .. So I am assuming that person just sent it right back to you ?? ........ Next time.. try Greyhound.. Fraction of the cost and you don't have 38 handlers throwing your large heavy boxes all over the place..

and what Pearl finish is this drum ??

6. Chomp, Chomp

I can only hope that when families of Fed Ex have packages delivered that they are handled with the same TLC that our packages receive. I don’t know it it would have made a difference in your case, but a fully assembled drum is stronger than a bare shell. The hoops and heads protect the bearing edges and provide additional structural support.
    Drumming since 1961.
    Pearl MCX 8 Piece Bronze Glass
    Many Paiste Cymbals

Tama SLP Fat Spruce 4 piece
    Zildjian K Custom Dark Cymbals

7. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by quicksticks View Post
    I can only hope that when families of Fed Ex have packages delivered that they are handled with the same TLC that our packages receive. I don’t know it it would have made a difference in your case, but a fully assembled drum is stronger than a bare shell. The hoops and heads protect the bearing edges and provide additional structural support.
    Totally agree about fully assembled drums... Unfortunately though, the size and amount of boxes required to ship from Michigan to California would have been like $250+ and the buyer wanted to keep it under $200. So I can keep it to two boxes no bigger than the bass drum if I pack all the shells in one box without the hardware. However, strong or not, I even mentioned to handle it with care to FedEx, which I am learning is a big waste of time....

Also, the buyer actually didn't send the drums back, FedEx did. Once I opened an investigation for my refund, they showed up and just took it back from the buyer and sent them back to me. Although I later found out that this is not typically the case. Usually they send it back to the buyer. But to be honest, he didn't care or know any better.

To answer CZX, it was Ocean Sparkle. I might end up doing a wrap (white pearl) because of the lacquer cracked. Although again, its not that noticeable I might just live with it.

Thanks!

Drummers For Christ

8. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by drummerj6 View Post

To answer CZX, it was Ocean Sparkle. I might end up doing a wrap (white pearl) because of the lacquer cracked. Although again, its not that noticeable I might just live with it.

Thanks!
    If you want to have the exact same drum.. let me know and I will show you how to replace that shell with the exact finish .

9. old dog, new tricks

what you want to do is syringe wood glue into the crack; there are videos on Youtube how to do it. I would recommend Titebond III, it's what I use on all my woodworking projects.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ppcmi5fWIQU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pmM1APci8TY
    “You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your informed opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant.” - Harlan Ellison

link below for my kit build thread

https://www.pearldrummersforum.com/s...t-build-thread

10. Drumming Since 1943

J6- follow what Jeff says if you intend to fix the drum. The man knows his wood. Which is, yes, what she said.
    Way Too Much Crap

11. A Passion Play ...

X2 for space Jeff. Titebond is a superior product. Any pics ??