Pearl Drummers Forum - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. The Sensitone Guy

Default Long time drummer becoming a PERCUSSIONIST!

I just got hired on to a local classic rock cover band as a percussionist! I'm pretty geeked and am actually enjoying it as much if not more than drumming.

Even though I really don't know what I'm doing, the guys are liking what they hear. I think I fell into something good. My only regret is that I didn't pursue this sort of thing sooner.

My tools: 14" djembe, maracas, tambourine, wood block and cowbells. They were skeptical when I hauled in the djembe. They had never seen one before. As soon as they heard it, they were sold.

Band politics: I'm being careful to stay out of the drummer's space, just filling in the empty spaces and trying to compliment what he does. Also, I steer clear of any suggestion to play the drum kit. Overall, he's a better drummer than I but not knowing the guys that well, I'd rather not get on the kit and stir up any ideas.

Band personalities: Very nice guys. Less than two weeks ago my property was hit by a major windstorm. Power was out for 8 days. I'll be cleaning up downed trees (many over 100 years old) through winter. The guys were offering to get me a generator, open their homes for showers, etc... I politely declined but it was so cool that the offers were floated. (Another friend stopped by on day 2 and dropped off a generator.)

Logistics: The practice space is a dedicated 24x24 building with heat and AC. It's only 5 minutes from my house!

2. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Andy H View Post
    I just got hired on to a local classic rock cover band as a percussionist! I'm pretty geeked and am actually enjoying it as much if not more than drumming.

Even though I really don't know what I'm doing, the guys are liking what they hear. I think I fell into something good. My only regret is that I didn't pursue this sort of thing sooner.

My tools: 14" djembe, maracas, tambourine, wood block and cowbells. They were skeptical when I hauled in the djembe. They had never seen one before. As soon as they heard it, they were sold.

Band politics: I'm being careful to stay out of the drummer's space, just filling in the empty spaces and trying to compliment what he does. Also, I steer clear of any suggestion to play the drum kit. Overall, he's a better drummer than I but not knowing the guys that well, I'd rather not get on the kit and stir up any ideas.

Band personalities: Very nice guys. Less than two weeks ago my property was hit by a major windstorm. Power was out for 8 days. I'll be cleaning up downed trees (many over 100 years old) through winter. The guys were offering to get me a generator, open their homes for showers, etc... I politely declined but it was so cool that the offers were floated. (Another friend stopped by on day 2 and dropped off a generator.)

Logistics: The practice space is a dedicated 24x24 building with heat and AC. It's only 5 minutes from my house!
    Congrats Andy! Sounds like a great fit! Respect and wonderful personalities among band members is a win win situation. I'm still looking for that band gig myself. Enjoy your new role as percussionist and have fun!

3. Skeld-the -wicked

That’s awesome Andy! Sorry to hear about the storm damage. It was probably the same storm system that caused massive power outages & major damage here in Wisconsin.

Best of luck in your new band!
    Pearl Drums

4. Purple Crazed

Congratulations on your new drumming/percussing adventure! It sounds like it will be an enjoyable experience.

Pearl Purple Craze Reference Series
    6x7 | 6x7 | 8x7 | 8x7 | 8x8 | 10x8 | 12x9 | 13x9 | 14x11 | 16x13 | 18x16 | 18x14G | 20x14G | 20x16 | 22x18
    Pearl 14x5 Wine Red Maple and Copper Free Floating Snares
    Pearl 10x6.2 Mangini Signature Snare
    Tama Octobans

5. Away From The World

Yes congrats you sound like a good fit for the band, and if you enjoy it that's the main thing! My entry into drumming as a teenager was on percussion because the throne was occupied, it worked out in my favor and helped my trap set playing in future years.

Pearl Masters MCX Bronze Glass
    8x7 | 10x8 | 12x9 | 14x14 | 16x16 | 20x14G | 22x18

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Foreman View Post
    Practice makes perfect. But ultimately, I am living proof that you don't need to play well to enjoy gear. You might be surprised how much enjoyment you can get while still sucking.

6. The Sensitone Guy

Thanks everyone! If nothing else, this new gig is a great excuse to buy all sorts of rattles, jingles and clangy things!

As for the storm damage, I've been working every day from dawn to dusk (almost) cleaning up the mess with my tractor, chainsaw, chains, tow straps and winches. We just got a quote from a professional tree service to knock down the really dangerous stuff.

7. Away From The World

Thanks everyone! If nothing else, this new gig is a great excuse to buy all sorts of rattles, jingles and clangy things!
    For sure, and a Vibra-Slap is a must!

As for the storm damage, I've been working every day from dawn to dusk (almost) cleaning up the mess with my tractor, chainsaw, chains, tow straps and winches. We just got a quote from a professional tree service to knock down the really dangerous stuff.
    My whole country is currently on Covid lockdown so yard work is getting done, but nothing compared to what you are dealing with

Pearl Masters MCX Bronze Glass
    8x7 | 10x8 | 12x9 | 14x14 | 16x16 | 20x14G | 22x18

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Foreman View Post
    Practice makes perfect. But ultimately, I am living proof that you don't need to play well to enjoy gear. You might be surprised how much enjoyment you can get while still sucking.

8. Dalmi Joedi - Jedi

Glad you found something fresh and motivating. That’s how I feel about playing bass right now.

9. The Sensitone Guy

Quote Originally Posted by dale w miller View Post
    Glad you found something fresh and motivating. That’s how I feel about playing bass right now.
    Same here. It's actually more of a challenge doing weird percussion stuff. The guys are pretty good about helping me figure out what works and what doesn't.

In the meantime I'm slowly accumulating more clangy and jingley things! I already had a nice arsenal of percussion stuff and am upgrading a few things. Very inexpensive compared to drums and cymbals. I probably will have less than $100 bucks into it by the end of the month.

10. Registered User

Sounds like you have had it tough on your end. Hope all turns out well for you.

Interestingly, I have also been drawn into the sounds of alternative percussion and all things 'jingly' and 'sizzly'. Hope your journey is an enjoyable one!
    Looking for PEARL MCX 18"x16" VIRGIN BASS DRUM (or MCT, or Reference Pure)
    and POWER WRIST BUILDERS 3S BRASS (28oz / 795 grams)(Discontinued).
    If you have any leads, kindly PM me!

<3 Pearl <3

11. The Sensitone Guy

Update:

I'm having more fun playing percussion in this band than drums in my other band. The drummer and I are still clicking well together. He lays down the groove and I "dance" around it. He's a better drummer than I, but my timing is slightly better. We make a good team. Sometimes he carries me. Sometimes I carry him.

I showed up for practice today and started unloading my stuff. He pulls up, rolls down the window and shouts "Hey man; need any help?" I respond "No thanks. I got it." He replies. "Well... F$&@ You too!" That's comraderie at its finest!

12. FKA Tasty808

Haha, that’s awesome.