Pearl Drummers Forum - Powered by vBulletin

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Registered Loser

That sounds like a great gig to get in on! I played percussion for a couple musicals and had a great time doing it, too.

2. Registered User

Cool Andy, hope you enjoy it!!
    Quote Originally Posted by dexplosion View Post
    Boom stands are for sissies.

3. The Sensitone Guy

Things are still going well with my new percussionist role; actually better than my other band where I play drums! I get along great with everyone in the band. The drummer would like to some day have both of us set up kits on stage and do the dual drummer thing.

In the meantime I'm exceedingly careful I don't tried on the drummer's territory. I never touch his kit, ask to play it or offer much in the way of drumming advice. If he asks, I'm all over it but I try to maintain a healthy respect for his lane.

4. The Sensitone Guy

Ordered myself a 12" Remo mondo djembe. I have owned a 14" for about 20 years and love it. With Christmas coming up, I have the perfect excuse to splurge and get another. The smaller size will be a bit handier. In addition, back in 2012, Remo replaced the sharp lugs with nice rounded ones. Looking forward to this new instrument.

5. Away From The World

Quote Originally Posted by Andy H View Post
    Ordered myself a 12" Remo mondo djembe. I have owned a 14" for about 20 years and love it. With Christmas coming up, I have the perfect excuse to splurge and get another. The smaller size will be a bit handier. In addition, back in 2012, Remo replaced the sharp lugs with nice rounded ones. Looking forward to this new instrument.
    Would like to see when you get it, a justified splurge Don't see the word used often, yet I literally just got an email from a provider called splurge that I cancelled years ago. Must be a sign to splurge on something myself

Pearl Masters MCX Bronze Glass
    8x7 | 10x8 | 12x9 | 14x14 | 16x16 | 20x14G | 22x18

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Foreman View Post
    Practice makes perfect. But ultimately, I am living proof that you don't need to play well to enjoy gear. You might be surprised how much enjoyment you can get while still sucking.

6. Drumming Since 1943

Andy, it's so great to hear about your new gig and how much you're enjoying it.

It's interesting in that I was just talking to a couple of my bandmates about joining their more frequent acoustic gigs. Gonna pic up a used Pearl cajon and sing backup vox and some leads.
    Way Too Much Crap

7. The Sensitone Guy

Quote Originally Posted by Kiwi View Post
    Would like to see when you get it, a justified splurge Don't see the word used often, yet I literally just got an email from a provider called splurge that I cancelled years ago. Must be a sign to splurge on something myself
    Sure. I'd be happy to send a photo once I get it.

The new model has some improvements: They eliminated the sharp metal lugs and replaced with smooth rounded ones. I'm also looking forward to the smaller size. Although the 14" sounds great, it's challenging to switch around between songs.

8. The Sensitone Guy

Quote Originally Posted by JY Kelly View Post
    Andy, it's so great to hear about your new gig and how much you're enjoying it.

It's interesting in that I was just talking to a couple of my bandmates about joining their more frequent acoustic gigs. Gonna pic up a used Pearl cajon and sing backup vox and some leads.
    You're definitely missing out on a lot of fun. Even adding a simple clave tap to a song is fun as you can see and feel the impact that your contribution adds to the song. Just like drumming, you can cue changes, add a different feel and push/pull a song as needed. There's a couple songs where the drummer (who's actually much better than me) has trouble with timing or changes. I dive into those weak areas and cue him as needed. He loves it!

I play seated on a drum throne. My set up: djembe between my legs, 2 cowbells &1 wood block mounted on a cymbal stand out in front of me, home made percussion table to my right piled high with rattley, jingley stuff. Out in front I have a mic stand with two drum mics. One is pointed low at the djembe. The other points high to pick up my hand percussion. My set up is still evolving. It literally took months to figure out microphone positioning and sound.

Playing percussion has opened me up to additional playing opportunities.