Pearl Drummers Forum - Powered by vBulletin

1. Registered User

Default ZZ Top Bassist Dusty Hill Dead at 72.

It appears he died in his sleep.

2. Drumming Since 1943

We’re losing a lot of greats.
    Way Too Much Crap

3. ex-hipodilski

again

4. 2-time PDF FFL CHAMP

So unfortunate to hear.

Ironically enough, I broke a pair of my cheap sunglasses today as well. Seems only fitting.
    22x18 (2) | 10x7 | 12x8 | 16x16 | 18x16

22x18 (2) | 10x8 | 12x9 | 14x11 | 16x13

Quote Originally Posted by Maark View Post
    What happens when the Unstoppable Banhammer meets the Immovable Alan12? I think the universe would implode.
    Quote Originally Posted by space jeff View Post
    yeah, but I'm the Jeff that Jeff talks about when he talks about "the Jeff" to other Jeffs.

5. The Sensitone Guy

Band practice was this evening. We played "Fool For Your Stockings" as the last song, even though it's not on our list as a tribute to one of the Greats.

6. Dalmi Joedi - Jedi

Outside the famous MTV videos I grew up with, not so much the songs, Tush is the ZZ Top song for me. Short & sweet almost punk in that way. https://youtu.be/-jB_QM73Slk

I love him in Deadwood.

Name:  49BC8A7F-CD65-4266-809E-A79973E9F59F.jpeg
Views: 118
Size:  103.5 KB

7. 1, 2, 3, Hit It!

My introduction to the trio from Texas came in the 1980's from their album Eliminator.

Pop radio and MTV/Friday Night Videos played "Legs" and "Sharp Dressed Man" on what seemed like an endless loop. It wasn't till a later in my life that I discovered that they had many hits before those 80's classics. One of those being "La Grange", which I think is my personal favorite as a drummer. Of course being a fan of "King Of The Hill", I thought that it was absolutely awesome that Hank Hill's cousin was Dusty Hill from ZZ Top, and that Dusty and the boys loved "pranking" Hank throughout the episode.

Godspeed Mr. Hill, I'll raise an Alamo Beer in your honor.

Name:  Alamo Beer.jpg
Views: 112
Size:  7.0 KB
    Last edited by Blk Diamond; 07-29-2021 at 11:30 AM.
    Kevin

Pearl Masters Custom Extra MRX - 5 Piece Maple Kit
    Midnight Fade, Chrome Hardware
    Matching Snare: 14x6.5 Toms: 12x9, 13x10, 16x16 (FT) Bass: 22x18
    Cymbals: Paiste Signatures & 2oo2s

Proud member of the Masters Army <<<Click to join today!

8. Dalmi Joedi - Jedi

Quote Originally Posted by Blk Diamond View Post
    My introduction to the trio from Texas came in the 1980's from their album Eliminator.

Pop radio and MTV/Friday Night Videos played "Legs" and "Sharp Dressed Man" on what seemed like an endless loop. It wasn't till a later in my life that I discovered that they had many hits before those 80's classics. One of those being "La Grange", which I think is my personal favorite as a drummer. Of course being a fan of "King Of The Hill", I thought that it was absolutely awesome that Hank Hill's cousin was Dusty Hill from ZZ Top, and that Dusty and the boys loved "pranking" Hank throughout the episode.

I forgot about that.

9. Rogue Ex-Mod

Great bass player and one half of a VERY underrated rhythm section. RIP.
    My One-Of-A-Kind Masters Premium BRP in #197: http://www.pearldrummersforum.com/sh...d.php?t=216550

Pearl - Ludwig - Zildjian - Sabian - Remo - Evans - Vic Firth

10. Vintage 1968

Quote Originally Posted by Blk Diamond View Post

I had discovered ZZ Top several years before the Eliminator era with their greatest hits album. Some of the older musicians I was around would mention them and got me hooked. I loved their off-beat nature and style, and nobody was playing and writing anything close to what they were. To me they were like the indie band who made it.
    Eliminator changed things. To me they went mainstream with Eliminator and Afterburner. Nothing wrong with that, I just felt like they became popular without people knowing the whole story. They kinda left their boogie woogie roots behind. The newer fans weren't hearing stuff like Heard it on the X for example. I was happy for them getting the recognition after being in the business for so long.

11. old dog, new tricks

Quote Originally Posted by Mountain View Post
    It appears he died in his sleep.
    we should all be so lucky. Quite a life he lived.
    “You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your informed opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant.” - Harlan Ellison

link below for my kit build thread

https://www.pearldrummersforum.com/s...t-build-thread