Pearl Drummers Forum - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Registered User

Default DIY "Hand Hamered Brass" Snare

So I recently took your average import steel snare that comes with the everyday beginner kits and re-wrapped it in an aluminum roof flashing material from Lowes. The backside of the of flashing has a brass/bronze color, so I used that as the outside, and also hammered the flashing with a small ball pein hammer to get the hand hammered look.

By now means is this drum sonically improved by the work I did, or do I try to pass it off as hand hammered brass drum, but in my opinion it does loook pretty good from a distance, and this was a fun way to repurpose one of these cheap important snares.

I've included the YouTube link to the video I did about it, which includes the build process, and some sound demos. Let me know what you guys think!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a_s1VP8ula8

Name:  Screen Shot 2021-07-26 at 9.14.21 AM.jpg
Views: 143
Size:  46.9 KB

Name:  Screen Shot 2021-07-26 at 9.14.32 AM.jpg
Views: 143
Size:  45.8 KB

Name:  Screen Shot 2021-07-26 at 9.14.50 AM.jpg
Views: 144
Size:  51.1 KB
    www.malonedrum.com
    Bosphorus Cymbals Performing Artist

2. Drumming Since 1943

That’s actually really cool!
    Way Too Much Crap

3. The Sensitone Guy

I like it!

4. The Hardware Guy

I always find it curious, why is it it's only the American's that refer to things as "import" ?

PEARL CZX "CUSTOM Z" ALL MAPLE
    22", 22", 8", 10", 12", 13", 14", 16", 18"
    PICSPICS 2
    “After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music.”
    Click Here To Help My Next Epic Search Quest

5. Drumming Since 1943

Um, because it comes from another country?
    Way Too Much Crap

6. The Hardware Guy

I understand what import means, I just mean I don't see any other countries refer to things that way. Here, in the UK, whether the drum comes from China, Taiwan, Japan, the US or was made in the UK, we just call it a drum. We don't differentiate between it being an import drum or domestic. I see this said on many groups/pages I'm in, some about drums, some about guitars, some about cars, and I only ever see the American's refer to things as "import" products.

Take this post for example - I would have said "I got a cheap snare off eBay, rewrapped it in...". I *might* have gone so far as to say "student" or "beginner" to highlight it's a really inexpensive, possibly lower quality, drum. But I wouldn't have even thought to label it as an "import" snare.

PICSPICS 2
    “After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music.”

7. FKA Tasty808

That’s super interesting…

I truly believe this is one of those, “‘cause ‘Murica!” Instances. Americans are brought up to think everything made in America is better than anywhere else. So when one says “import”, it almost implies a lesser quality(?) to Americans, anyway.

8. Drumming Since 1943

I see. Well, you have to remember how Americans think of this country: “We’re #1! USA! USA! USA! ‘Murca- love it or leave it!...” et al.

Which, of course, is utter xenophobic horse****.

There’s a guy in my neighborhood who drives a Jeep Wrangler. There’s a sticker on the back that reads “Built with Wrenches, Not Chopsticks”. Aside from being unbelievably racist, it’s just unbelievably stupid.
    Way Too Much Crap

9. FKA Tasty808

Quote Originally Posted by JY Kelly View Post
    “Built with Wrenches, Not Chopsticks”
    Dang!

But we are considered “snowflakes” for being offended by that…

Also, wouldn’t it be significantly more impressive if someone built a Jeep using chopsticks?! Like, what if I built a house with a fork and knife instead of a hammer?

10. Drumming Since 1943

Yes, we’re... “triggered”.
    Way Too Much Crap

11. The Hardware Guy

Quote Originally Posted by JY Kelly View Post
    There’s a guy in my neighborhood who drives a Jeep Wrangler. There’s a sticker on the back that reads “Built with Wrenches, Not Chopsticks”. Aside from being unbelievably racist, it’s just unbelievably stupid.
    Wow

PICSPICS 2

12. old dog, new tricks

Quote Originally Posted by Thrush View Post
    Wow
    especially since it was probably built in Mexico. So you know, with burritos or something.
    “You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your informed opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant.” - Harlan Ellison

link below for my kit build thread

https://www.pearldrummersforum.com/s...t-build-thread