Pearl Drummers Forum - Powered by vBulletin

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. Drumming Since 1943

Quote Originally Posted by HPD260 View Post
    I've always been curious; what's behind your dislike of the brand?

I also much preferred their older logo and badges, but that's true for most companies.
    I don’t hate Mapex drums. I’m sure they’re high quality drums. The name just drives me nuts.
    Way Too Much Crap

2. Registered User

Nice finish. I just dont like when drum companies do the bass drum finish backwards from the rest of the drums. A glaring oversight if you ask me.

3. Registered User

Actually, on some kits I like the unfinished bass drum hoops. Certainly wouldn't be a deal breaker on a nice set of drums.

4. Drummer since 1963

At least they make mid-level kits with wooden hoops. Used to be metal BD hoops were the first give away of a mid level kit. The interior of the hoop is finished, just not with the exterior finish which, by all logic, is a continuation of the was the rest of the BD is finished.
    As far as Mapex as a brand is concerned I would have to agree that if I were choosing a brand name for drums "Mapex" sounds cheap. Why didn't they just call them "Ajax" or better yet, "Acme", then they could have inked a deal with Warner Brothers to tie-in Wilie E Coyote to promote their products. A better name would have been better out of the gate but I guess they're stuck with it.
    The current logo was another unfortunate choice. Past 5 feet away it just looks like a black splotch. When I got my new Session Studio Select kit just before lockdown I also snagged a Mapex Meridian Birch kit to use at blues jams or night time outdoor gigs where they are likely exposed to high humidity or worse, the dreaded dew that covers everything in the south after 10pm. Its sapphire fade finish is eye candy and after finally getting to work with the kit for a month with a band, tweaking the tuning, and listening back to Zoom recordings, I really love the kit. It didn't have a logo head and the black EQ3 reso just looked so dismal I decided it had to go. Next problem, not only does the new logo suck, the lettering of the old logo sucked and sucked even worse being huge white letters on black on the reso head. I persisted and found a Mapex logo head I actually like a lot. Makes them look like a real "sport model" now and play well. Still, the STS drums are my #1 fave!

5. Registered User

I think it's funny how many people get hung up on the name Mapex. Seriously, is it any worse than Sonor or Tama? How about having Yamaha on the front head? What, did your kit come with an outboard motor attached to it? Even a name like Pearl, what does that have to do with drumming? Nothing. It's just a name.

People can find all sorts of reasons to hate on something.

6. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Tommy_D View Post
    I think it's funny how many people get hung up on the name Mapex. Seriously, is it any worse than Sonor or Tama? How about having Yamaha on the front head? What, did your kit come with an outboard motor attached to it? Even a name like Pearl, what does that have to do with drumming? Nothing. It's just a name.

Much like buying anything, personal preference is a thing.

7. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Tommy_D View Post
    I... Seriously, is it any worse than Sonor or Tama? How about having Yamaha on the front head? What, did your kit come with an outboard motor attached to it? Even a name like Pearl, what does that have to do with drumming? Nothing. It's just a name.

Yes, it's worse. It sounds like the name of a feminine hygiene product. Will it stop me from owning or playing them? Nope. But it's a horrendous name. C'mon man, admit it hahaha.

8. Registered User

As I understand it, Mapex is derived from "Maple Experiment". Don't know if its true or not, with the blending of shells sort of makes sense.

9. Registered User

I love/d Mapex and their drums but their name and branding is awful.

10. Dalmi Joedi - Jedi

Quote Originally Posted by doomonyou View Post
    Be great if all companies could just finish inside of the BD hoops on these mid level kits.
    I like it better without them done.

11. Drumming Since 1943

Quote Originally Posted by dale w miller View Post
    I like it better without them done.
    Hipster.
    Way Too Much Crap

12. The Hardware Guy

Quote Originally Posted by JY Kelly View Post
    Hipster.
    Ha

PEARL CZX "CUSTOM Z" ALL MAPLE
    22", 22", 8", 10", 12", 13", 14", 16", 18"
    PICSPICS 2
    “After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music.”
    Click Here To Help My Next Epic Search Quest