Pearl Drummers Forum - Powered by vBulletin

1. Registered User

Default Your favourite triplet licks!

When thinking about classic Rock drummers of the 70s, I tend of think of John Bonham, Neil Peart and Keith Moon. I love all of them yet, invariably, my favourite is Neil Peart, R.I.P. That said, I’ve always loved John Bonham’s massive sound, and his creative use of triplets, be it his shuffles or his triplet licks.

Now, one of the things that's always bothered me about YouTube / Instagram drumming culture is that it’s very focused on licks and patterns. I’m a strong believer in creative application of concepts in order to develop these things ourselves. This because it helps develop our own self-expression / voice. I actually wrote a whole book about it, published by Hudson Music. Check it out here, if you’re curious.

Anyhow, with that in mind, I put together a little drum lesson based on triplets for those interested. It’s an article with 3 PDFs aimed at showing some examples of creative uses with triplets. Of course, as I say to my students, take the ideas and make them their own!

Here's a video with a couple of ideas I've come up with based on that lesson:

If you’re keen, check out the article here.

What are your favourite triplet licks?
    Last edited by NickSchles; 06-04-2021 at 05:06 AM.

2. Registered User

Anything by mitch mitchell is great, particularly hey joe.

3. Drummer since 1963

This is a fun one! Dated and of its time the theme song to the 1967 Twentieth Century Fox film release "Tony Rome" starring Frank Sinatra was sung by daughter Nancy with Hal Blaine on drums:

https://youtu.be/Gx4JiV3o8XM

4. Chomp, Chomp

I agree with the Mitch Mitchell comment. Manic Depression is another example. The triplet lick that always intrigued me was John Bonham’s bass drum triplets at the beginning of Good Times Bad Times.
    Drumming since 1961.
    Pearl MCX 8 Piece Bronze Glass
    Many Paiste Cymbals

Tama SLP Fat Spruce 4 piece
    Zildjian K Custom Dark Cymbals