Pearl Drummers Forum - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 12 of 26
  1. Registered User

    Join Date
    Mar 2021
    Location
    London, UK.
    Posts
    30

    Default What drummers do you hear in your playing?

    So, the last few months I’ve been neck-deep in learning Tower Of Power songs and David Garibaldi’s grooves. Between lessons, I got noodling and came up with this groove:

    https://youtu.be/JHiucekisJI

    Now, we all know and love half-time shuffles, yet it dawned on me that Garibaldi has started to show in my playing, and I think this groove manifests it in one way or another. I’m really pleased about it, as I really love his fluid playing and how he adds colour with ghost notes and deepen groove!


    That said, the way I’ve mixed the groove, the ghost notes aren’t subtle anymore due to the compression, but I wanted something dirty-sounding. Not too long ago I put up a video on Instagram discussing what makes a drummer unique and the benefits of learning material note for note:

    Watch it here, if you like…


    If you'd like a PDF transcription of the groove, you can download it here.


    What drummers do you hear in your playing?

  2. Registered User

    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    890

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by NickSchles View Post
    So, the last few months I’ve been neck-deep in learning Tower Of Power songs and David Garibaldi’s grooves. Between lessons, I got noodling and came up with this groove:

    https://youtu.be/JHiucekisJI

    Now, we all know and love half-time shuffles, yet it dawned on me that Garibaldi has started to show in my playing, and I think this groove manifests it in one way or another. I’m really pleased about it, as I really love his fluid playing and how he adds colour with ghost notes and deepen groove!


    That said, the way I’ve mixed the groove, the ghost notes aren’t subtle anymore due to the compression, but I wanted something dirty-sounding. Not too long ago I put up a video on Instagram discussing what makes a drummer unique and the benefits of learning material note for note:

    Watch it here, if you like…


    If you'd like a PDF transcription of the groove, you can download it here.


    What drummers do you hear in your playing?
    I like it. Sounds cool.

  3. Drummer since 1963

    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Nashville, TN
    Posts
    975

    Default

    Along the way I focused on the drummers I liked most like Ringo, Danny Seraphine, Bruford, Al Jackson Jr, Roger Hawkins, Levon Helm, Jim Gordon, Keltner, Jamie Oldaker, and others. The last drummer I really studied was Richie Hayward, who, eventually, was a generous acquaintance from 1999 through 2005.
    While I can cover these and other drummers all day long convincingly but through it all, objectively, it still sounds like me playing. I play different styles but there's no mistaking it's me. You know what? I'm finally comfortable with that!
    Last edited by Ron Gerber; 06-15-2021 at 10:22 AM.

  4. Drumming Since 1943

    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    20,033

    Default

    Hellhammer, Animal from the muppets, Meg White, Peart and Karen Carpenter.
    Way Too Much Crap

  5. Registered User

    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    md
    Posts
    4,226

    Default

    If I've been doing this right, hopefully Jeff Indyke.

  6. Drumming Since 1943

    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    20,033

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by j kuhl View Post
    If I've been doing this right, hopefully Jeff Indyke.
    Holy s***. I’ve been trying to remember his name! He was so unbelievably cheesy. Like, uncomfortably so.
    Way Too Much Crap

  7. Registered User

    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    md
    Posts
    4,226

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JY Kelly View Post
    Holy s***. I’ve been trying to remember his name! He was so unbelievably cheesy. Like, uncomfortably so.
    He's something hahaha!

  8. Go Back To The 90s!

    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    1,847

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by j kuhl View Post
    If I've been doing this right, hopefully Jeff Indyke.
    I forgot about him!

    What about Eddie Tahn?
    Check out the band: State Line Syndicate

  9. Registered User

    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    Sherwood Forest. ENGLAND
    Posts
    475

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JY Kelly View Post
    Hellhammer, Animal from the muppets, Meg White, Peart and Karen Carpenter.
    Love yer style
    Yamaha Recording Custom 10,12,13,16,22 in Cherry Red
    Pearl Masters Premium Maple "Redline" in 12, 16, 22. Black on Black.
    Premier Projector MK1. 12,13,16,22 in Piano Black
    Endorser for Scymtek Cymbals & The London Drumstick Company.

  10. Registered User

    Join Date
    Mar 2021
    Location
    London, UK.
    Posts
    30

    Default

    Glad you like it, bud!

  11. Registered User

    Join Date
    Mar 2021
    Location
    London, UK.
    Posts
    30

    Default

    I get you. I agree, we can be influenced by people but ultimately, and physiologically, we are individuals.

  12. Registered User

    Join Date
    Mar 2021
    Location
    London, UK.
    Posts
    30

    Default

    Ha ha ha! Hilarious.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •