Pearl Drummers Forum - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
  1. Registered User

Default Do you throw your Sticks into the crowd?

Good evening everyone, Iíve never been to a gig since I live in an area where very rarely good acts are gigging, nor had a gig myself yet, but I saw some concerts online and noticed that each drummer I saw threw their sticks very forceful and I assume that there are a lot of people who get hit and get like a concussion from the hit during concerts. As I said, I havenít done it myself yet and Iím not sure what to think from it. On one side itís quite cool to throw your sticks into a crowd who go nuts for your bands music but on the other hand I of course wouldnít want to have someone having a concussion or lacerated wound because Iíd have hit the person with my Stick. So, Iím not too 100% sure if Iíd to it when I do play gigs one day, but if there is a way to do it gently I maybe would.

So my questions:

Do you throw your sticks into the crowd? And if there is a way to not hurt anyone while throwing them?

2. Miles Gibbons

Quote Originally Posted by Chlistadtdrummer View Post
    Good evening everyone, Iíve never been to a gig since I live in an area where very rarely good acts are gigging, nor had a gig myself yet, but I saw some concerts online and noticed that each drummer I saw threw their sticks very forceful and I assume that there are a lot of people who get hit and get like a concussion from the hit during concerts. As I said, I havenít done it myself yet and Iím not sure what to think from it. On one side itís quite cool to throw your sticks into a crowd who go nuts for your bands music but on the other hand I of course wouldnít want to have someone having a concussion or lacerated wound because Iíd have hit the person with my Stick. So, Iím not too 100% sure if Iíd to it when I do play gigs one day, but if there is a way to do it gently I maybe would.

So my questions:

Do you throw your sticks into the crowd? And if there is a way to not hurt anyone while throwing them?
    Hell no, I'm a self-employed musician. I can't afford to throw a 16$ pair of sticks away.
    "I'm gonna sleep outside... it's like Earth here, except less pollution, and more moons"

3. PDF Renaissance man!

Quote Originally Posted by MilesAway View Post
    Hell no, I'm a self-employed musician. I can't afford to throw a 16$ pair of sticks away.
    THIS
    Pearl, Natal, Ludwig, Tama, Slingerland, Premier, Arbiter Drums
    Zildjian, Sabian, Zyn Cymbals
    PEARL, PREMIER, LUDWIG, TAMA, YAMAHA, NATAL and DW Snares

Roland, Dauz, FAT KAT and Koby Electronics, and loads of Percussion

5 Kits and 11 Snares, and I still don't have enough!

4. Registered User

The only time my sticks leave my hands are if I drop them. Also, I have no audience.

5. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by drumfreek005 View Post
    The only time my sticks leave my hands are if I drop them. Also, I have no audience.
    That’s my situation atm too.

6. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by MilesAway View Post
    16$, standard models cost like 9 bucks here.

7. Registered User

If you're going to do that without looking ridiculous, it better be a sizable venue and there had better be a security pit between you and the crowd. And then maybe you toss them underhand to some folks up front. The whole "toss 'em 25 rows deep" is reckless and douchey. And unless your Tommy Lee; totally unnecessary.

8. The Sensitone Guy

Drummers who throw sticks into the audience should not be surprised when the audience reciprocates with glass bottles. Hitting someone with a stick could easily result in a good, old fashioned butt whooping. And it would be well deserved.

9. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by melvinspeed View Post
    If you're going to do that without looking ridiculous, it better be a sizable venue and there had better be a security pit between you and the crowd. And then maybe you toss them underhand to some folks up front. The whole "toss 'em 25 rows deep" is reckless and douchey. And unless your Tommy Lee; totally unnecessary.
    Underhand? What does that mean, language wise?

10. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Andy H View Post
    Drummers who throw sticks into the audience should not be surprised when the audience reciprocates with glass bottles. Hitting someone with a stick could easily result in a good, old fashioned butt whooping. And it would be well deserved.
    I’m surprised that the general consensus about it, is negative, before I met you all, I thought it’s pretty common and almost everyone does toss them into the crowd. At least that’s the case for Germany, I haven’t heard from a single concert (except maybe a wedding or similar indoor gigs) where no one did it. I don’t know for sure tho, as it seems to be that on most European Concert-DVDs it seems like it isn’t allowed to show it, as they all stop when the band plays their last song. But I wouldn’t say a Drummer who tosses his sticks into a crowd deserves to be thrown bottles at or to be butt whooped in general. Of course there are some who do it with full force, but there are also some who try and throw their sticks in a kind of gentle way so the people in crowd can catch it savely.

And when this is the case and someone gets hit tho, of course it hurts like sht but the drummer didn’t mean to hurt someone. I also think it should only be allowed to throw Maple sticks, I think (besides the risk of eye injuries) it at least has a lower risk for causing injuries like lacerated wounds and concussions.

11. Registered User

Underhand? What does that mean, language wise?

12. Miles Gibbons

16$, standard models cost like 9 bucks here.
    I'm in Canada. Standard hickory sticks are like $14-15 CDN a pair. Signature models are like $16-20.

That said, even if they were $9, I'm not throwing $9 away everytime I play a gig.
    "I'm gonna sleep outside... it's like Earth here, except less pollution, and more moons"