Pearl Drummers Forum - Powered by vBulletin

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
  1. Drummer since 1963

At a blues gig? I don't think so.

The pig above might think it's cool.

2. Dalmi Joedi - Jedi

Quote Originally Posted by melvinspeed View Post
    If you're going to do that without looking ridiculous, it better be a sizable venue and there had better be a security pit between you and the crowd. And then maybe you toss them underhand to some folks up front. The whole "toss 'em 25 rows deep" is reckless and douchey. And unless your Tommy Lee; totally unnecessary.
    Tommy Lee used to throw them from behind the kit and bounce them into the audience off the stage.

3. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by dale w miller View Post
    Tommy Lee used to throw them from behind the kit and bounce them into the audience off the stage.
    Wow, thatís so irresponsible and dangerous.
    Timur Salincakli (a nationally quite well known drummer), has a great technique to do it.
    He waits till the show is ended, takes his bows with the band, then he walks to the sides of the stage, targeting the first row. He then puts his finger on someone and nods, if the person nods back, he slowly twirls the sticks till the butt end points to the fan and then he gently and slowly throws them, stays there watching if everything is ok and goes to the other side of the stage and repeat.

4. The Hardware Guy

Christ, we live in such a boring, namby-pamby world where people think chucking sticks into the crowd is irresponsible and dangerous. I mean, I'm not advocating tomahawking them directly at someone at full force, but an under-arm throw up into the air and out into the crowd where people can see it coming, or likewise even an over-arm throw up and out where it's speed dissipates and people can see it really isn't that dangerous. I'm sure someone has, because we live in that kind of world now, but I've never heard of anyone suing a band or drummer because they got hit by a stick during/after a gig. I've been at gigs where whole guitars have been chucked into the crowd (and one where various parts of a pig, including the head - which, in typical British fashion, the crowd then played football with - where chucked into the crowd.

I mean come on, actually PEOPLE used to chuck themselves out into the crowd!

PEARL CZX "CUSTOM Z" ALL MAPLE
    22", 22", 8", 10", 12", 13", 14", 16", 18"
    PICSPICS 2
    ďAfter silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music.Ē
    Click Here To Help My Next Epic Search Quest

5. Dalmi Joedi - Jedi

Quote Originally Posted by Thrush View Post
    I was one of them.

6. Drumming Since 1943

I was one of them.
    Same. Slayer, Fear Factory, Megadeth, etc.
    Way Too Much Crap

7. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Thrush View Post
    Christ, we live in such a boring, namby-pamby world where people think chucking sticks into the crowd is irresponsible and dangerous. I mean, I'm not advocating tomahawking them directly at someone at full force, but an under-arm throw up into the air and out into the crowd where people can see it coming, or likewise even an over-arm throw up and out where it's speed dissipates and people can see it really isn't that dangerous. I'm sure someone has, because we live in that kind of world now, but I've never heard of anyone suing a band or drummer because they got hit by a stick during/after a gig. I've been at gigs where whole guitars have been chucked into the crowd (and one where various parts of a pig, including the head - which, in typical British fashion, the crowd then played football with - where chucked into the crowd.

Well, that has nothing to do with boring.
    I havenít said that it is dangerous in general, but itís dangerous to a.) just throw it out without really picking someone, b.) underhand throws when done correctly is ok, but itís unrealistic that an misused underhand throw or a real overarm throw will arrive safely, and the speed will not dissipate and itís flicking end over end that way and in fact can someone give a lacerated wound or and thatís the worst case, make someone blind.

If you havenít heard it, itís because you are living in a different country, if you live in the US, I can name you a few examples that made it to the papers/socials:

1.) Twenty One Pilot - Josh Dun canít even manage one single time to throw a stick safely and always hits someone and most of them needed stitches and had a wound really close to the eye.

2.) 5SOS - no sueing was done here but Ashton Irwin same as Josh Dun is well known to hit someone all the time, that girl being hit, needed stitches as well.

3.) Styx - Todd Sucherman was sued after hitting a women in the face, itís not known how badly she was injured but itís a fact that she also lied about some injuries.

Fact is, we arenít in the 70Ďs anymore.

8. Registered User

I was one of them.
    It’s different if you randomly jump into the crowd or if it they see it coming.

9. Registered User

I was one of them.
    I wasn't a crowd surfer/stage diver but went to plenty of shows where you had to stay on your toes for that. Especially as a tall guy... I make a good ramping point from behind, apparently.

I did leave a Body Count show with a large bootprint square in the middle of my chest... battle scars.

10. FKA Tasty808

You saw Body Count live?! Damn...

11. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Josh Conover View Post
    You saw Body Count live?! Damn...
    Twice actually. Once at the first Lollapalooza and once in a club later that same year.

I was a little bit into LA rap scene (NWA, Ice Cube, Ice T, The DOC) and metal too, so it wasn't a stretch.

12. FKA Tasty808

That’s hardcore, man!