Pearl Drummers Forum - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 12 of 29
  1. FKA Tasty808

    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Phoenix AZ
    Posts
    3,126

    Default The Before and After thread!

    So, after seeing Kevin’s latest refurb (old Pearl Forum kit), I thought it’d be cool to start a before and after thread. So post TWO pictures of the same drum. Before you did work and after you were finished.

    I’ll start with my latest job.

    12’ x 6” Yamaha Musashi 7-ply Oak snare drum with black Russ Miller Groove Wedge.

    Name:  D702C928-6506-48D4-BE84-C0EEE663D1F0.jpg
Views: 353
Size:  59.1 KB

    As you can see, I really let this one go over the past couple of years as my interests slowly shifted to my Pearl drum and snare collection.
    I gave the shell and all the hardware a good polish before re assembly.

    Name:  D3AA8B1C-EC1B-491A-BEF2-FE5FC4973874.jpg
Views: 349
Size:  93.3 KB

    Besides new heads and snares, I added dark red, cross-grain ribbon, black nylon washers, new black lug screws, an INDe Drum Labs universal butt plate, and Yamaha’s newer throw off (not sure of the model number on this one, if anyone cares to chime in?).

  2. Blind and Faithless

    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    PA
    Posts
    3,947

    Default

    I didn't put much thought/planning into taking pictures, so not the best comparisons...


    14x10 Tour Custom from eBay. Dirty, had a sticker + duct tape on it, tom rash, and extra holes.
    Name:  1.jpg
Views: 354
Size:  75.9 KB

    Stripped the shell then cleaned/polished/waxed drum and hardware. I didn't have the new heads + suspension mount in yet when I took the pictures. And since I took crap pictures, you can't see that the residue is now all gone and that the tom rash is far less noticeable after the wax.
    Name:  2.jpg
Views: 352
Size:  80.8 KB

  3. Registered User

    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Berlin - Germany
    Posts
    2,569

    Default

    my old saturns:

    Bass drum had stickers and velcro and an ugly-*** tom mount on it:



    so i took it off and changed the heads



    The only thing i did wrong was I used the new mapex logo on the older series, which will haunt me until I leave this mortal realm.

  4. Registered User

    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    Sherwood Forest. ENGLAND
    Posts
    450

    Default

    Great thread Will be using this a lot
    Yamaha Recording Custom 10,12,13,16,22 in Cherry Red
    Pearl Masters Premium Maple "Redline" in 12, 16, 22. Black on Black.
    Premier Projector MK1. 12,13,16,22 in Piano Black
    Endorser for Scymtek Cymbals & The London Drumstick Company.

  5. Registered User

    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    What would you say .. Ya do here?
    Posts
    3,570

    Default

    Great idea!
    Quote Originally Posted by dexplosion View Post
    Boom stands are for sissies.

  6. Drumming Since 1943

    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    19,906

    Default

    Yay!!
    Way Too Much Crap

  7. HERTA so good!

    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Georgia
    Posts
    2,845

    Default

    I refurbed a PDP Platinum shell pack.

    Before: Silver to Regal Blue Burst
    After: Black Galaxy Sparkle
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    DW Drums | DW Hardware | Sabian | Pro-Mark | Evans Drumheads


  8. old dog, new tricks

    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Lower Mainland of BC
    Posts
    16,330

    Default

    Before...... and after.
    Attached Images Attached Images     
    “You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your informed opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant.” - Harlan Ellison

    link below for my kit build thread

    https://www.pearldrummersforum.com/s...t-build-thread

  9. Playing since 1976

    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    7,620

    Default

    Here is my Dunnett Titanium 6.5x14 snare, when I bought it from a working jazz drummer. It was oxidized, the Hypervent was missing, and the tension rods were binding up with the lugs in some spots, because things just weren't lining up correctly.

    Name:  IMG_6378.jpg
Views: 323
Size:  55.6 KB

    Name:  IMG_6376.jpg
Views: 321
Size:  89.8 KB

    I refinished the shell, using chemicals and 3M pads, changed the tube lugs to a more traditional size, and added a Hypervent... turned out nice.

    Name:  dunnetttitanium1asmall.jpg
Views: 314
Size:  53.4 KB

    Name:  dunnetttitaniumbadge1small.jpg
Views: 326
Size:  46.6 KB
    Website ===> CLICK HERE
    Reverb Listings ===> CLICK HERE
    eBay Auctions ===> CLICK HERE
    YouTube channel ===> CLICK HERE


  10. Registered User

    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    PA
    Posts
    789

    Default

    Before - acoustic

    After - electronic




  11. Registered User

    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Berlin - Germany
    Posts
    2,569

    Default

    Not that this is a competition, but i think jeff is winning...

  12. Registered User

    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    PA
    Posts
    789

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by keaton_86 View Post
    Not that this is a competition, but i think jeff is winning...
    Agreed and it was quite enjoyable to see the process from beginning to end.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •