Pearl Drummers Forum - Powered by vBulletin

1. Registered User

Default Rust Removal from Hoops?

I call upon the knowledge and experience in the PDF to guide me on the best/right/safest way to remove light rust from a tom hoop.

Steel wool? 000 or 0000 grit? I presume this will scratch the chrome... is there another, less abrasive method?

The rust is on the inside of the hoop. All the way around the circumference... right where the head drops down to the collar.
    Bottom hoop is fine. Lugs, lug screws and mounting hardware are fine. Just the top hoop.
    No other tom in that kit shows any signs of rust... everything stored in the same brand of bags in the same room.
    I am very cautious in where and how I store my kits; so this has be a bit befuddled.

Name:  PXL_20210428_154342787.jpg
Views: 121
Size:  116.3 KB

Name:  PXL_20210428_154352795.jpg
Views: 118
Size:  110.6 KB

2. Registered User

Citric acid is great for removing rust. After an overnight soak it practically falls off by itself.

3. Registered User

I use SOS pads on stuff like that. The soap that comes in the pad seems to stop it from scratching.

4. Playing since 1976

One of the YouTube fails for me was trying vinegar and tinfoil... it worked partially, but not well enough to call it a rust removal or restoration.

I would try Mothers Chrome polish with a rag. Start by coating the section and letting it sit for 3-5 minutes, then wipe buff off. If you see progress, repeat 1 or 2 more times until you get the shine/removal you're looking for.

https://amzn.to/3u1Fwdd
    Website ===> CLICK HERE
    Reverb Listings ===> CLICK HERE
    eBay Auctions ===> CLICK HERE
    YouTube channel ===> CLICK HERE

5. The Sensitone Guy

I would use Barkeepers Friend or any rifle bore cleaner to remove that rust.

My favorite rifle bore cleaner is a home made mix called "Ed's Red". Mix equal parts of automatic transmission fluid, kerosene and mineral spirits. The original recipe includes acetone, but many folks prefer to leave that out due to its harshness.

6. Registered User

Thanks for the recommendations fellas. I also read that WD-40 is a good lubricant for rust removal.

I'm not sure I'm ready to mix up some of Andy's witches brew.

7. Registered User

Hi There,
    I used tin foil and WD40. Then glass cleaner, and just a damp cloth to wipe clean and dry. I think the results speak for themselves
    Name:  hoops1.jpg
Views: 74
Size:  73.7 KB
    Name:  16 hoops before_after.jpg
Views: 77
Size:  77.7 KB
    Name:  hoops3.jpg
Size:  101.2 KB

8. Registered User

Looks good. I've found any mild lubricant plus tinfoil always works, just apply different amounts of pressure depending on the severity of the rust. I've used Mother's Chrome polish, Windex, and vinegar all separately with tinfoil for rust removal on various rims and hardware at one point or another and they all work well.
    Pearl Masterworks
    Black Mist Burst over Natural Maple

10x8 | 12x9 | 14x14 | 16x16 | 22x18 | 14x5 |

9. The Sensitone Guy

Quote Originally Posted by kyle75 View Post
    Hi There,
    I used tin foil and WD40. Then glass cleaner, and just a damp cloth to wipe clean and dry. I think the results speak for themselves
    Name:  hoops1.jpg
Views: 74
Size:  73.7 KB
    Name:  16 hoops before_after.jpg
Size:  77.7 KB
    Name:  hoops3.jpg
Size:  101.2 KB
    Dang! You win! That turned out perfect.

10. Registered User

Thanks for all the tips fellas. I used some WD-40 and tinfoil since I had those around the house already. Worked perfectly!