Pearl Drummers Forum - Powered by vBulletin

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by HPD260 View Post
    When I had one I used it, but I don't play out.

That said, I prefer a double pedal to two kick drums. Dual kicks look great, but I prefer the feel and simplicity of a double pedal.

This makes recording engineers happy.

2. Drumming Since 1943

I think it comes from playing a double pedal for so long. The adjustment is a big one, and the acoustics of my drum room aren't really suited for super nuanced tuning required to match up two kick drums. I'll probably buy another bass drums for the Ref's somewhere down the road, maybe once I have a bigger house. But for now, the one kick is more than sufficient.
    This whole “tuning two kicks” thing is so silly. I use the a certain method to tune one kick. Why wouldn’t the other kick sound almost identical using the same method?
    Way Too Much Crap

3. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by JY Kelly View Post
    This whole “tuning two kicks” thing is so silly. I use the a certain method to tune one kick. Why wouldn’t the other kick sound almost identical using the same method?
    In a room like mine, because it's pointing a different direction towards different things which make the sound frequencies bounce around differently. The room I play in wasn't designed for any kind of instrument, let alone drums. The acoustics are horrid.

Secondarily from that, it probably is "almost identical", but it's not spot on. And in my case at least, it's usually off just far enough to irritate me.

4. Drumming Since 1943

In a room like mine, because it's pointing a different direction towards different things which make the sound frequencies bounce around differently. The room I play in wasn't designed for any kind of instrument, let alone drums. The acoustics are horrid.

Secondarily from that, it probably is "almost identical", but it's not spot on. And in my case at least, it's usually off just far enough to irritate me.
    You have better ears than I in that case. Until I lost a kick (for space reasons), I used Rob Brown’s method on both and they were dead on.
    Way Too Much Crap

5. Registered User

You have better ears than I in that case. Until I lost a kick (for space reasons), I used Rob Brown’s method on both and they were dead on.
    My wife routinely accuses me of having super human hearing, so I guess it’s possible. No idea how with the abuse I’ve put my ears through over the years. The small things just annoy me. I spent an entire shift at work one day disassembling the interior of my vehicle to find and fix a tiny rattle that was diving me nuts, so one could argue that I’m a bit obsessive.

6. Drumming Since 1943

My wife routinely accuses me of having super human hearing, so I guess it’s possible. No idea how with the abuse I’ve put my ears through over the years. The small things just annoy me. I spent an entire shift at work one day disassembling the interior of my vehicle to find and fix a tiny rattle that was diving me nuts, so one could argue that I’m a bit obsessive.
    Ah. You’re one of THOSE people. Lol
    Way Too Much Crap

7. The Sensitone Guy

Years ago our lead guitar player was having a terrible time at a gig. You see, there was a tiny rattle coming from the on stage railing. He was ready to walk off stage. The rest of us couldn't hear anything. At the very next gig, I attached a big carpentry clamp to the railing. Guess what? No rattle!

Funny thing. The dude is a MECHANICAL ENGINEER!!!! I remind him of this incident often!

8. Playing since 1976

Quote Originally Posted by Healthie View Post
    Do you end up using your second kick...?
    Yes.
    Website ===> CLICK HERE
    Reverb Listings ===> CLICK HERE
    eBay Auctions ===> CLICK HERE
    YouTube channel ===> CLICK HERE

9. Registered User

That may be the most depressing sentence I’ve ever read.
    haha yeah it's pretty bleak. German apartments aren't ideal for drumming. New Zealand houses are though; Only 6 more months until I can play them

10. formerly TubCrusher

2 bass drums are the only way to feel square with the world...
    Never take life too seriously, 'cause you'll never get out alive!!

My Dirty Little Collection..

11. Dalmi Joedi - Jedi

When I had one I used it, but I don't play out.

That said, I prefer a double pedal to two kick drums. Dual kicks look great, but I prefer the feel and simplicity of a double pedal.
    I’m the antithesis. MUCH prefer the feel of two kicks and the look simply cannot be beat. But space and common sense need to win out.
    Ever since the double pedal became common this debate has been ongoing. What I found to be the consensus is:

Looks - Double bass seems to barely win for those who love large kits
    Feel - Double bass wins again simply due to both beaters hit exactly center
    Sound - Both live and recording engineers prefer the double pedal due to how difficult it can be to get the exact same sound from each drum when using two kicks

Take that as you will.

12. Away From The World

I had double kicks in the past, but more for show than go. I got used to a twin kick pedal prior to two bass drums.

Quote Originally Posted by keaton_86 View Post
    Yes I do but I'd never gig with them, if i gigged... and lived in the same country as my drums.
    That may be the most depressing sentence I’ve ever read.
    Quote Originally Posted by keaton_86 View Post
    haha yeah it's pretty bleak. German apartments aren't ideal for drumming. New Zealand houses are though; Only 6 more months until I can play them
    I was going to say it could have been more depressing if it was stated as different hemispheres, let alone countries

Are your drums going to you or you to them?

Pearl Masters MCX Bronze Glass
    8x7 | 10x8 | 12x9 | 14x14 | 16x16 | 20x14G | 22x18

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Foreman View Post
    Practice makes perfect. But ultimately, I am living proof that you don't need to play well to enjoy gear. You might be surprised how much enjoyment you can get while still sucking.