Pearl Drummers Forum - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1. Registered User

Default Do you use your second kick?

I've got a monster Ludwig kit and I've wanted to add a 2nd kick to make it look more awesome. I've only played double kick pedals for short stints and I'm still learning - I have the space to hold the extra drum. Do you end up using your second kick or just a double pedal? or; did you return to single-pedal?
    Ludwig WMP Concert Toms: 6/8/10/12/13/14/15/16/18/20/24, 15" custom snare. Zildjian.

2. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Healthie View Post
    I've got a monster Ludwig kit and I've wanted to add a 2nd kick to make it look more awesome. I've only played double kick pedals for short stints and I'm still learning - I have the space to hold the extra drum. Do you end up using your second kick or just a double pedal? or; did you return to single-pedal?
    Well for me I love the look of a double kick and play it on all my kits. Now I am not out playing so I don't have to worry about lugging it around, but for home use I am in.

3. Registered User

I have always prefered the feel and the aesthetics of two bass drums.

I don't often get to gig with two bass drums; so it's double pedal for most live gigs.
    But when stage space, vehicle space, mixing board inputs allow... two bass drums every time.

For your particular kit... with all those toms, I think two bass drums is mandatory.

4. Purple Crazed

I do use mine. In fact, I have used it in conjunction with a double pedal. My left bass drum is a 20x16 and my right is a 22x18. I got the idea from Billy Cobham's tama kit from the 80s where he used a 22" and a 24" bass drum (on page 14: http://www.hoshinogakki.co.jp/pdf/ta...log/1981EU.pdf). The double pedal gets used to allow me to use the "slave" to play my (a) left bass drum, (b) right bass drum, or (c) both depending on which beaters are inserted.

Plus I think they look cool.

Pearl Purple Craze Reference Series
    10x8 | 12x9 | 13x9 | 14x11 | 16x13 | 22x18
    Pearl 14x5 Wine Red Maple and Copper Free Floating Snares
    Pearl 10x6.2 Mangini Signature Snare
    Tama Octobans

5. Registered User

Yes I do but I'd never gig with them, if i gigged... and lived in the same country as my drums.

6. Registered User

Good answers boys thank you

Any video's or suggestions for getting my left foot in shape?
    Ludwig WMP Concert Toms: 6/8/10/12/13/14/15/16/18/20/24, 15" custom snare. Zildjian.

7. Drumming Since 1943

Quote Originally Posted by keaton_86 View Post
    Yes I do but I'd never gig with them, if i gigged... and lived in the same country as my drums.
    That may be the most depressing sentence I’ve ever read.
    Way Too Much Crap

8. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Healthie View Post
    Good answers boys thank you

Any video's or suggestions for getting my left foot in shape?
    No snark intended: Same exercises you used to develop your right foot.
    Put a set of hats on your right side; and use your left foot exclusively for the kick patterns.
    There's not some special rule for left feet, you just want to develop the same power and speed with your left that you have with your right.

9. Registered User

Thanks Melvin, this is actually a really good idea. I should be getting a pearl fiberglass set from my friend; and I have the hardware to set up a lefty kit. I'm left handed so it'll be interesting to see if I like it more!

10. Registered User

When I had one I used it, but I don't play out.

That said, I prefer a double pedal to two kick drums. Dual kicks look great, but I prefer the feel and simplicity of a double pedal.

11. Drumming Since 1943

Quote Originally Posted by HPD260 View Post
    When I had one I used it, but I don't play out.

That said, I prefer a double pedal to two kick drums. Dual kicks look great, but I prefer the feel and simplicity of a double pedal.
    I’m the antithesis. MUCH prefer the feel of two kicks and the look simply cannot be beat. But space and common sense need to win out.
    Way Too Much Crap

12. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by JY Kelly View Post
    I’m the antithesis. MUCH prefer the feel of two kicks and the look simply cannot be beat. But space and common sense need to win out.
    I think it comes from playing a double pedal for so long. The adjustment is a big one, and the acoustics of my drum room aren't really suited for super nuanced tuning required to match up two kick drums. I'll probably buy another bass drums for the Ref's somewhere down the road, maybe once I have a bigger house. But for now, the one kick is more than sufficient.