1. Registered User

Default Modified DW9000!!

Name:  038CFD9B-DC67-44A5-87DE-C8657F086CD4.jpeg
Views: 137
Size:  99.8 KB
    Name:  E0EFDE42-5A21-4544-BAA6-31E4CF64FFC1.jpeg
Views: 138
Size:  89.1 KB

I was recording my footwork using my iPhone with a shure mv88 behind my pedal but sort of close up and could here this “clicking noise” I took my entire pedal apart trying to figure out what was loose and couldn’t figure it out. I then talked to a buddy who told me the DW pedals with the red and black drive shafts have movement in them. I’m sure in recording studios and such between the kit and mic positions this isn’t a problem. But it was enough to make me look for a solution. Trick, Pearl, Yamaha, and other high end pedal makers (the machined DW pedal upgraded the drive shaft to.) Trick’s 5.0 upgraded drive shaft uses better bearings and has zero lag between the master and slave pedal. It’s been a great addition.

But now I want to upgrade the beaters and It seems hard to find good beaters. I do like gizmo’s skull and hammer with skull beaters. But I’d rather have function over looks. Anyone tried the DW XL’s? Or the rounded DW Control beaters? Will Tamas speed cobra beaters work in a DW pedal? Any feed back is welcome

2. Unban nik12

It looks like the end of the drive shaft isn't long enough for it to lock in where the old driveshaft did, is that on purpose? Personally I love my wooden Lowboy beaters and won't use anything else from here on out. The weight, feel, and look are perfect!
    Black Lives Matter

Tama Starclassic Maple

3. Totally Rad

Quote Originally Posted by MitchLyons View Post
    It looks like the end of the drive shaft isn't long enough for it to lock in where the old driveshaft did, is that on purpose? Personally I love my wooden Lowboy beaters and won't use anything else from here on out. The weight, feel, and look are perfect!
    The end of the drive shaft is fine, DW just has a longer insert and trick only made a generic piece that doesn't cover all of it unfortunately. That being said it does have two tension keys holding it and I've had no issues with mine.

Quote Originally Posted by OfXaos View Post
    But now I want to upgrade the beaters and It seems hard to find good beaters. I do like gizmo’s skull and hammer with skull beaters. But I’d rather have function over looks. Anyone tried the DW XL’s? Or the rounded DW Control beaters? Will Tamas speed cobra beaters work in a DW pedal? Any feed back is welcome
    I can recommend the control beaters, the are fantastic and have lots of options. Also try the straps if you like the feel, I prefer the 9000 with straps and trick shaft over the MDD I had. I replaced it with the 9000 below.

Old MDD

Replaced with 9000s

4. FKA Tasty808

Quote Originally Posted by MitchLyons View Post
    Personally I love my wooden Lowboy beaters and won't use anything else from here on out. The weight, feel, and look are perfect!
    I’ll second the Low Boy Beaters. I was one of their first customers to get in on their Lightweight beaters when they first started chopping off the back side.

That was my go to beater for a few years until I tried Dragonfly’s Leather beater... its the best feeling beater I’ve ever tried.

Highly recommend looking into Low Boy or Dragonfly Percussion.

Name:  1F8EC780-3389-4E7C-BA00-70EB03BFF86C.jpg
Views: 114
Size:  41.6 KB

Name:  CBF7C70B-327B-46CB-95A0-AAE99A21E801.jpg
Views: 114
Size:  117.9 KB

Name:  AFD9751A-71D3-49FC-A201-F94D755CD092.jpg
Views: 113
Size:  152.1 KB

Name:  45B418FF-BBF8-4B75-9F15-59735496600A.jpg
Views: 119
Size:  62.7 KB

5. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by OfXaos View Post

But now I want to upgrade the beaters and It seems hard to find good beaters.
    Just turn the ones you have 180 degrees.

6. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by keaton_86 View Post
    Just turn the ones you have 180 degrees.
    +1, +2, hell, +100

Been a long time since I last contributed on the forum, but personal experience compels me to dust off my account and amplify what keaton's saying here.
    Absolutely agree with this! I've played all types, sizes, and quality of kick drums with the flat side of the standard dw and pdp beaters, and I have to say the punch from these things is unmatched in my ears. They've made every kick cut through in miced and unmiced situations.