Pearl Drummers Forum - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. HERTA so good!

Default Condenser mic options for bass drum low end.

Greetings everyone!

I've been working on my recording setup in my home studio and have only recently added a second mic to my bass drum. I use a beta 52 in the port hole to capture the snap of the beater and some of the low end. I added a Behringer C-2 outside the reso head about 8 inches away from the head and 3 inches left of center. I'm getting a good sound but I feel like a larger diaphragm mic may capture more low end thump. Do any of you have a recommendation for a large diaphragm condenser mic that would fit this bill? Budget friendly is always good but I also want to get the best sound I can from my setup.

My mic setup is as follows.

Bass Drum - Beta 52A
    Snare - SM57 top/bottom
    Toms - Beta 98AD/C
    Overheads - Audio-Technica AT2035

I thought about swapping the overheads with the Behringer C-2's and trying one of the AT2035's but I like them too much as overheads. Any input would be greatly appreciated.
    DW Drums | DW Hardware | Sabian | Pro-Mark | Evans Drumheads

2. Registered User

phx-az since 1978. The best sunsets occur during the monsoon season June-Sept.

I use a Shure Beta 91 in the kick and AKG D112 in the port hole. The Beta 91 is about 4 to 5 inches from the batter head ( on a towel ) and captures kick punch nicely and the D112 collects all the goodness coming out of the port including the tailing low frequency of the port head which I like. I’m newer to home studio recording and record into a Tascam portastudio. I have used the Beta 91 by itself and got plenty of low end but it sounds better ( to me) with the D112. I will sometimes run both those mics through my live mixer for blending and adding an effect that the Tascam doesn’t offer. Depends on what I’m looking for.
    "Now just a minute. This is a press conference. The last thing I want to do is answer a lot of questions."

United States Army General Maynard M. Mitchell
    Press briefing. Korea 1950

3. Registered User

Why not try a diy subkick? It won't give you any articulation but if you want lows, then it'll deliver.

4. Miles Gibbons

Literally any large-diaphragm condenser will be better than the C2.

Tube condensers work great for this... the Rode NTK is a good budget conscious one (still fairly expensive, though).
    "I'm gonna sleep outside... it's like Earth here, except less pollution, and more moons"

5. Purple Crazed

Quote Originally Posted by j kuhl View Post
    Why not try a diy subkick? It won't give you any articulation but if you want lows, then it'll deliver.
    Subkicks definitely add the lows. I just looked at the price of the originals. DIY is the way to go.

Pearl Purple Craze Reference Series
    10x8 | 12x9 | 13x9 | 14x11 | 16x13 | 22x18
    Pearl 14x5 Wine Red Maple and Copper Free Floating Snares
    Pearl 10x6.2 Mangini Signature Snare
    Tama Octobans

6. PDF Renaissance man!

Worth looking at the Audio Technica Dual Element Bass drum mic (a Dynamic and Condenser side by side in one unit), otherwise I've heard the SE X1D was great for bass response.
    Pearl, Natal, Ludwig, Tama, Slingerland, Premier, Arbiter Drums
    Zildjian, Sabian, Zyn Cymbals
    PEARL, PREMIER, LUDWIG, TAMA, YAMAHA, NATAL and DW Snares

Roland, Dauz, FAT KAT and Koby Electronics, and loads of Percussion

5 Kits and 11 Snares, and I still don't have enough!

7. Registered User

The Roswell Audio Mini K47 KD is a mic that was specifically developed for this task. I had a chance to directly A/B one with a vintage Neumann U47FET microphone, which is the holy grail of outside kick mics. The Roswell came extremely close to it. The U47 had a touch more low-end and a hair less bleed, due to it having a slightly tighter patrern than the Roswell. You can buy 12 Roswells for the price of a U47 reissue, and many more for a vintage one. The mic comes with an awesome shockmount and a little hardcase.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

8. Experienced Noob

I use my Beta 52 for what you are wanting a condensor to do. I low pass it at about 120 Hz (or less, it depends on different factors) and get the low end information I'm looking for. I tested so many mics on my kick & honestly, the Beta 52 was just terrible as a main kick mic compared to most. Even an SM57 sounded better than the Beta 52. I ended up using a Sennheiser e602 as my main mic (it sits with its capsule just inside the port of my reso head). It is such a well-rounded sound with great low mid information.

Anyway, my point is that if I were you I'd buy an e602 & use it with the Beta 52 using the Beta 52 as you are thinking of using a condensor.

FYI - the Beta 52 sits further out from the head when recording. I'm not sure why it's that close to the head in this picture.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

9. Miles Gibbons

Quote Originally Posted by thismercifulfate View Post
    The Roswell Audio Mini K47 KD is a mic that was specifically developed for this task. I had a chance to directly A/B one with a vintage Neumann U47FET microphone, which is the holy grail of outside kick mics. The Roswell came extremely close to it. The U47 had a touch more low-end and a hair less bleed, due to it having a slightly tighter patrern than the Roswell. You can buy 12 Roswells for the price of a U47 reissue, and many more for a vintage one. The mic comes with an awesome shockmount and a little hardcase.
    Nice one! Thanks for the recco.. not familiar with this mic. Going to look into it!

Have you tried it on other instruments\drums?
    "I'm gonna sleep outside... it's like Earth here, except less pollution, and more moons"

10. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by MilesAway View Post
    Nice one! Thanks for the recco.. not familiar with this mic. Going to look into it!

Have you tried it on other instruments\drums?
    Roswell mics is run by the wonderful gentleman who runs recordinghacks.com and micparts.com

I’m actually in the process of ordering one myself. The one i trialed belings to a fellow drummer who bought one upon my recommendation. He doesn’t port his front kick and his D112 wasn’t giving him a good sound. It’s quite astonishing how good this K47 sounds. They do also make a regular version of the mini K47 if you want to use it on other sources. The KD version has simply been optimized for bass drum by having a lower output and increased bass response. I’ll be glad to report back when I get mine.

11. Registered User

Tuning your kick higher helps bring out the low end that’s within our range of hearing.

12. Miles Gibbons

Quote Originally Posted by thismercifulfate View Post
    Roswell mics is run by the wonderful gentleman who runs recordinghacks.com and micparts.com

Iím actually in the process of ordering one myself. The one i trialed belings to a fellow drummer who bought one upon my recommendation. He doesnít port his front kick and his D112 wasnít giving him a good sound. Itís quite astonishing how good this K47 sounds. They do also make a regular version of the mini K47 if you want to use it on other sources. The KD version has simply been optimized for bass drum by having a lower output and increased bass response. Iíll be glad to report back when I get mine.
    Cool! Thanks for the info. Iíll keep an eye out, if you end up posting about yours when it arrives. Cheers!