4 12.50%
  • Purple Black Limba Fade with Purple on the reso side

1 3.13%
  • Purple Bubinga Fade with Purple on the reso side

9 28.13%
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
  1. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by HPD260 View Post
    The other obvious answer is to do a jelly bean kit with all the finishes. I'm joking
    Tom Storch suggested the same (tongue in cheek of course) hahaha.

Quote Originally Posted by Kiwi View Post
    Great options Jamie, I chose natural/purple over bubinga. They are all nice finishes but there was just something about purple..

I was leaning towards purple on the batter side until considering the bass drum as you did, I would want the purple out front. Can I have that and purple on the batter side for the toms?

Wait Mike, you like purple? I would have never guessed hahaha. Good to see you post and if I go with one of the purple finishes, your suggestion is definitely an option.
    Last edited by j kuhl; 04-12-2021 at 06:06 PM.

2. Pearl Masters Drummer

For me, no contest! Scuba blue burst all the way.

3. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Jutt8 View Post
    For me, no contest! Scuba blue burst all the way.
    It's pretty nice Justin. A coin flip might have to end up deciding this one.

4. Unban nik12

Quote Originally Posted by j kuhl View Post
    It's pretty nice Justin. A coin flip might have to end up deciding this one.
    Just get Scuba over Limba and our kits can be distant relatives!
    Black Lives Matter

Tama Starclassic Maple

5. Playing since 1976

So far only 1 vote for scuba blue.
    You have way more than 1 vote now... almost as many for the Scuba as all of the other purple finishes combined. Did Tom ever confirm that the Black Limba is going to come with flame on your drums, or are the samples flukes?
    Website ===> CLICK HERE
    Reverb Listings ===> CLICK HERE
    eBay Auctions ===> CLICK HERE
    YouTube channel ===> CLICK HERE

6. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by MitchLyons View Post
    Just get Scuba over Limba and our kits can be distant relatives!
    Maybe, just maybe, we shall see.

Quote Originally Posted by Drumming-4-Life View Post
    You have way more than 1 vote now... almost as many for the Scuba as all of the other purple finishes combined. Did Tom ever confirm that the Black Limba is going to come with flame on your drums, or are the samples flukes?
    I didn't ask about the flame but if I go with a black limba veneer, I will. I honestly think its just that some of the photos online, don't capture the flame. Both samples have it in abundance and some photos seem to capture it pretty well. I've also seen this veneer in real life at Dale's on a Ludwig and remember the same.

Name:  original.jpg
Views: 113
Size:  114.7 KB

7. HERTA so good!

I haven't cast my vote yet because I'm having a difficult time with this decision. In lieu of the black chrome hardware, I feel like that would look best with the scuba blue. I do like the nat to purple fade over both the bubinga and black limba but I don't feel the black chrome would work well with that particular finish. Chrome or gold hardware would look best to me. Then again, not being able to see that black chrome makes it an even tougher call.
    DW Drums | DW Hardware | Sabian | Pro-Mark | Evans Drumheads

8. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by drumminjc View Post
    I haven't cast my vote yet because I'm having a difficult time with this decision. In lieu of the black chrome hardware, I feel like that would look best with the scuba blue. I do like the nat to purple fade over both the bubinga and black limba but I don't feel the black chrome would work well with that particular finish. Chrome or gold hardware would look best to me. Then again, not being able to see that black chrome makes it an even tougher call.
    Thanks man. The purple is kind of a polarizing finish and I acknowledge it will certainly not be for everyone. That said, I've made up my mind and have chosen purple to natural bubinga. I was leaning towards the tangerine/black limba combo but because the limba has to be dyed to achieve the orange hue, the purple doesn't blend as naturally as the undyed bubinga. With the natural bubinga, you get areas of the fade where the colors blend to create a really cool but more importantly, a smoother and more organic, looking fade. The areas where the purple fades into the natural bubinga, allow several different hues from orange to red to magenta to form as the colors blend, it's really beautiful.

I'm going to ask Pearl to invert the colors on all the toms (purple batter/natural reso) but stick with the purple on the reso for the kick (like Mike (Kiwi) mentioned). I typically would prefer all the colors to match their respective edge but in this case, I feel like this is the best way to do it.

Still heavily leaning towards the MHX shell recipe (4ply mahogany with maple rerings) but part of me is also still considering my original idea, of going with the studio recipe. The maple/gum combo would no doubt be a more versatile and dynamic set of drums but those thin mahogany shells, while maybe lacking in power, more than make up for it in their character. Cutting, punchy, kits, are pretty standard these days and for good reason but a dark, fat sounding, lush sonic profile, is maybe a little less commonly found and while less versatile, still highly desirable for a drum sound.

I've asked Tom if Pearl can randomize the fade a little more to avoid that stark two tone look that some fades seem to exhibit. I want almost like a dripping, running, effect, where the heights vary around the shell. I've also asked them to punch up the vibrance of the purple just right at the edge so it's just creeping out from the hoop. This may make that portion of the shell opaque, but for such a small area (maybe up to a 1/4") i think it will look cool and further contrast the black nickel.

I'm super excited to be getting to the end of this process and into the actual wait period. I've taken my time deciding on the details and if you're gonna do this and with the nearly endless options available, I truly recommend taking the slow, thoughtful and patient approach. It's too easy to overlook something when this many choices exist. Thanks for all the feedback ladies and gents, I really appreciate the opinions and fingers crossed I chose the right finish.

9. Away From The World

Thanks man. The purple is kind of a polarizing finish and I acknowledge it will certainly not be for everyone. That said, I've made up my mind and have chosen purple to natural bubinga. I was leaning towards the tangerine/black limba combo but because the limba has to be dyed to achieve the orange hue, the purple doesn't blend as naturally as the undyed bubinga. With the natural bubinga, you get areas of the fade where the colors blend to create a really cool but more importantly, a smoother and more organic, looking fade. The areas where the purple fades into the natural bubinga, allow several different hues from orange to red to magenta to form as the colors blend, it's really beautiful.

I'm going to ask Pearl to invert the colors on all the toms (purple batter/natural reso) but stick with the purple on the reso for the kick (like Mike (Kiwi) mentioned). I typically would prefer all the colors to match their respective edge but in this case, I feel like this is the best way to do it.

Still heavily leaning towards the MHX shell recipe (4ply mahogany with maple rerings) but part of me is also still considering my original idea, of going with the studio recipe. The maple/gum combo would no doubt be a more versatile and dynamic set of drums but those thin mahogany shells, while maybe lacking in power, more than make up for it in their character. Cutting, punchy, kits, are pretty standard these days and for good reason but a dark, fat sounding, lush sonic profile, is maybe a little less commonly found and while less versatile, still highly desirable for a drum sound.

I've asked Tom if Pearl can randomize the fade a little more to avoid that stark two tone look that some fades seem to exhibit. I want almost like a dripping, running, effect, where the heights vary around the shell. I've also asked them to punch up the vibrance of the purple just right at the edge so it's just creeping out from the hoop. This may make that portion of the shell opaque, but for such a small area (maybe up to a 1/4") i think it will look cool and further contrast the black nickel.

I'm super excited to be getting to the end of this process and into the actual wait period. I've taken my time deciding on the details and if you're gonna do this and with the nearly endless options available, I truly recommend taking the slow, thoughtful and patient approach. It's too easy to overlook something when this many choices exist. Thanks for all the feedback ladies and gents, I really appreciate the opinions and fingers crossed I chose the right finish.
    I like the approach and progression Jamie, I'm sure you will continue towards a positive result. Looking forward to the next stages!

Pearl Masters MCX Bronze Glass
    8x7 | 10x8 | 12x9 | 14x14 | 16x16 | 20x14G | 22x18

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Foreman View Post
    Practice makes perfect. But ultimately, I am living proof that you don't need to play well to enjoy gear. You might be surprised how much enjoyment you can get while still sucking.

10. Usurper Title

Yo, when do we expect kit photos to be posted?