Pearl Drummers Forum - Powered by vBulletin

• Home
  1. Registered User

Default I dig the uptown ride, but looking for something a touch louder and thinner.

Hello Everyone,

I've been using a 20" Projection Crash for over a decade as my right side crash/ride. We've been putting out weekly demos and as I spend more time recording I'm finding the cymbal is quite loud and has a lot of mid range which seems to overpower the rest of the kit.

Today I picked up an uptown ride and I really like it. It is a touch quiet and I was hoping for something a bit thinner but I really like the vibe/sound.

Can anyone recommend something with a similar sound but maybe in 20/21"? I was considering the 20" garage ride, but I don't really dig the crash sound. I've also tried the 20" COD (too washy), and the 20" special dry crash (surprisingly quiet for it's size). I was originally considering a 21" special dry, but they seem really hit or miss on the crash side of things and there aren't any to test out locally.

We play speedy punk blues/garage rock so I defiantly good stick definition as well a solid crash sound as I only use hats and a single crash/ride live. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks,
    Practice Kit:
    Pearl: 14X3.5FFM, 14X10DM, 18X14DM
    A Cstm: 13" MS Hats, 10" Spl, 18" EFX, 10" EFX/14" EFX, 18" Uptown, 6.5" ZilBel.

Gig Kit:
    Pearl: 13X3 Piccolo, 13X10 Masters, SideKick 18X12.
    A Cstm: 13" MS Hats, 8" splash, 18" Uptn, 6.5" ZilBel.

2. FKA Tasty808

Quote Originally Posted by Boy_Narf View Post
    Hello Everyone,

I've been using a 20" Projection Crash for over a decade as my right side crash/ride. We've been putting out weekly demos and as I spend more time recording I'm finding the cymbal is quite loud and has a lot of mid range which seems to overpower the rest of the kit.

Today I picked up an uptown ride and I really like it. It is a touch quiet and I was hoping for something a bit thinner but I really like the vibe/sound.

Can anyone recommend something with a similar sound but maybe in 20/21"? I was considering the 20" garage ride, but I don't really dig the crash sound. I've also tried the 20" COD (too washy), and the 20" special dry crash (surprisingly quiet for it's size). I was originally considering a 21" special dry, but they seem really hit or miss on the crash side of things and there aren't any to test out locally.

We play speedy punk blues/garage rock so I defiantly good stick definition as well a solid crash sound as I only use hats and a single crash/ride live. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks,
    I have two of the 18 ReMix series Breakbeat rides which is what the Up Town ride was called when it was first introduced. I love them, but totally understand what your saying. If youre looking for something similar but louder and larger, Id recommend the 22 K Custom Special Dry crash or the 22 K Dark Medium ride. I own both and the K Dark is one of the best overall rides Ive ever played, and I own 15 different Zildjian rides.

Not pictured are my 20 and 22 Avedis cymbals, 24 A Medium ride, and my 22 K Custom Special Dry crash.

Name:  072FB281-3A29-4A38-8DB8-6F52EDA68581.jpg
Views: 64
Size:  75.8 KB

3. Registered User

Thanks I'll check em out.
    Practice Kit:
    A Cstm: 13" MS Hats, 10" Spl, 18" EFX, 10" EFX/14" EFX, 18" Uptown, 6.5" ZilBel.

Gig Kit:

4. The Sensitone Guy

I have a Sabian 20" HH Medium Ride. It's a low-profile cymbal, dark, hand hammered and very crashable.

5. Registered User

After a few practice sessions I'm really digging the uptown. My overall kit is much more balanced . I didn't realize how overpowering that projection crash was until I recently started listening back to some of our live recordings. I think think the uptown is going to be "just loud enough" for my needs. I'm pleased. I record drum tracks every Saturday so excited to see how it holds up under the mics.
    Practice Kit:

Gig Kit: