Pearl Drummers Forum - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Results 1 to 12 of 46
  1. Registered User

    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Berlin - Germany
    Posts
    2,566

    Default Does anyone not really care about drums as much anymore?

    Long story short - I've wanted an SQ2 since I was about 17. Fast forward 15 years to yesterday night and I was about to buy a lovely 5pc in American Walnut high gloss and I just got hit with the thought of "whats the point?"

    I currently have mapex pro M's - Obviously not the best drums in the world but for whacking around and occasionally playing gigs and with friends, they do the job.

    I just found myself in this weird situation where something I've worked towards for half of my life became attainable, and I just... didn't really want or need it anymore.

    Anyone else experienced this?

  2. FKA Tasty808

    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Phoenix AZ
    Posts
    3,073

    Default

    What?!

    No...

  3. FKA Tasty808

    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Phoenix AZ
    Posts
    3,073

    Default

    Honestly though...

    I’ve settled with the fact that drums will always just be a (very expensive) hobby of mine that I really enjoy. I’ve always wanted to put together a sweet Masterworks shell bank in a custom finish with black chrome hardware, but that is just not money well spent (for me personally) when I can just put together a huge shell bank of drums that are more than adequate for my needs. So I guess in a way, I’m able to obtain something I don’t need and settled for something else, but I don’t really feel like I “settled” either. I think its just part of growing up, my dude.

  4. Registered User

    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    1,958

    Default

    I still care about drums and gear; but I'm no longer interested in acquiring gear. In fact, if anything, I'm leaning toward thinning the herd a bit.

    Not surprised you have a different take at 32 than you did at 17. I'd be a bit worried if your values & priorities hadn't changed in that time.

  5. Registered User

    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Charlotte, N.C.
    Posts
    2,653

    Default

    Yes and no.

    I've owned three dream kits in the last five years. My first set of References, my MMX's, and my current purple craze ref's. I don't play out, they don't make me money, and they take up a lot of space for something I don't get to use very often. That said, they make me happy, hurt no one, and don't negatively effect my financial life. We all have different priorities, and sometimes priorities shift without us even knowing.

    My big piece of advice here is to make sure your priorities have truly shifted, as opposed to you talking yourself out of this purchase because you're looking at it through adult eyes now. Spending that kind of coin on a drum kit as a teen seems like the cumulation of a dream; as an adult, you just see the other things you could spend that money on. I agonized over my last purchase. I've got a kid now, a dog recovering from a big surgery, a large trip planned for my wife and I's ten year anniversary.....didn't really seem like a logical purchase when you looked at it objectively. But the profits from the Masters paid for the Ref's, so it's a money neutral decision that my wife and I were able to easily rationalize.

    If you can afford it and it makes you happy, go for it. If you can't or it doesn't, don't. That's how I approach every discretionary financial decision I make, and it has worked well.

  6. Skeld-the -wicked

    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    The Frozen Tundra
    Posts
    3,043

    Default

    I rehearse on a Mapex pro m standard sizes and they sound great. I donít own them and canít understand why they arenít more popular. There is nothing wrong Imo to wanting a masterworks kit but justifying the price for me just doesnít work for my playing needs . I own 2 full kits and 5 snares. Itís taken 25 years of searching for the right drums. I started playing at 40 and now at 66 with plenty of fire & good heath left I see no end in sight.

    Itís really not what drums you play , itís how you play them. Most importantly have Fun! Ps I have a early 2000 Master Studio snare coming today (Retail Therapy) and last nite I found a new set of Fat Tone hoops on reverb! Iím hopeless!
    Last edited by skeld-the-wicked; 04-01-2021 at 05:05 AM.
    Pearl Masters Premium Diamond Burst 6pc
    Pearl Masters Red Mahogany Classic 6pc 14x5.5 Masterworks African Mahogany Snare

    Ian Paice Signature Snare,
    Zildjian Cymbals
    Vic Firth sticks

  7. ex-hipodilski

    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Sofia, Bulgaria
    Posts
    1,511

    Default

    Do you really need it? No.
    Are your present drums sufficient? Yes.
    Is it a childhood dream to you? Yes.
    Can you afford it? Apparently yes.
    Would you make you happy to fulfill a childhood dream just once, no matter how unpractical it might be? I'm sure it would.

    I'd get it if I were you. If it doesn't make you happy, you can always flip it. But at least you will know that you gave it a shot, instead of leaving yet another "what if" behind you.

  8. Miles Gibbons

    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    5,429

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by keaton_86 View Post
    Long story short - I've wanted an SQ2 since I was about 17. Fast forward 15 years to yesterday night and I was about to buy a lovely 5pc in American Walnut high gloss and I just got hit with the thought of "whats the point?"

    I currently have mapex pro M's - Obviously not the best drums in the world but for whacking around and occasionally playing gigs and with friends, they do the job.

    I just found myself in this weird situation where something I've worked towards for half of my life became attainable, and I just... didn't really want or need it anymore.

    Anyone else experienced this?
    Yes. I've stopped obsessing over gear. I have nice gear that covers a decent range of sounds that I like playing. I've never had an artist, producer, or engineer complain about my gear. My energy is focused on playing the music well. As long as the snare is tuned reasonably, and the pedal feels ok, I can be comfortable. You can make this happen on just about any kit.

    I never walk away from a gig thinking "that would have been better with a different snare." It's usually more like "I wish my right foot didn't spaz out in the second song" or "I wish I had a deeper understanding of afro-cuban grooves." Or at the very least, in regards to gear - "I should have taken the time to tune my snare for this room."

    Your playing experience is informed mostly by the people you play with and\or the music you are playing, as well as your work ethic and sense of taste. Gear is just a tool.

    The important thing: does playing drums still make you happy? That's the important thing. Money can't buy that.
    "I'm gonna sleep outside... it's like Earth here, except less pollution, and more moons"

  9. Registered User

    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    4,464

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MilesAway View Post
    Yes. I've stopped obsessing over gear. I have nice gear that covers a decent range of sounds that I like playing. I've never had an artist, producer, or engineer complain about my gear. My energy is focused on playing the music well. As long as the snare is tuned reasonably, and the pedal feels ok, I can be comfortable. You can make this happen on just about any kit.

    I never walk away from a gig thinking "that would have been better with a different snare." It's usually more like "I wish my right foot didn't spaz out in the second song" or "I wish I had a deeper understanding of afro-cuban grooves." Or at the very least, in regards to gear - "I should have taken the time to tune my snare for this room."

    Your playing experience is informed mostly by the people you play with and\or the music you are playing, as well as your work ethic and sense of taste. Gear is just a tool.

    The important thing: does playing drums still make you happy? That's the important thing. Money can't buy that.
    This pretty well sums it up.

  10. Registered User

    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    4,464

    Default

    I finally got over my drum GAS. Realized that good drums sound like good drums. Everything was great, until New Years and I got back into my HO slot car hobby. Now I can't stop buying these little toy cars with motors. Help!

  11. Miles Gibbons

    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    5,429

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sticks4drums View Post
    I finally got over my drum GAS. Realized that good drums sound like good drums. Everything was great, until New Years and I got back into my HO slot car hobby. Now I can't stop buying these little toy cars with motors. Help!
    Yeah, I'm hanging on tight to the top fo the recording gear slope... don't want to get sucked down that hill ha ha!

    ...though, now that I think about it, my mountain bike could use some new pedals and better front suspension...
    Last edited by MilesAway; 04-01-2021 at 08:56 AM.
    "I'm gonna sleep outside... it's like Earth here, except less pollution, and more moons"

  12. Registered User

    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Posts
    180

    Default

    I've owned cheap kits, expensive kits, electric kits and hybrid kits. I have to say, in the world of acoustic drums, buy the ones that look and sound best to you. If that's an inexpensive kit, cool. If it's a mid tier, cool. If it's high end, cool. My experience has been that I do not get any additional joy of ownership or while playing on a high end DW Collectors, Yamaha Recording Custom or even a Pearl Reference Pure than I do on my PDP Concept Birch that I spent only $450 on. Though I really miss the Rederence Pure kit. Probably more for the look than anything. It sounded good, but not 8x better than the PDP's. Save that money and buy some nice cymbals.

    In the world of electronic kits, spending more definitely rewards you. More sounds, better sounds, more editing, better pads, faster processing, etc. There is nothing worse than buying a cheap electric kit. Ugg... Terrible playing and listening experience.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •