Pearl Drummers Forum - Powered by vBulletin

1. Registered User

Default Reference Snare Different Lugs/Tension Rod Size?

I recently acquired a 6.5”x13” Pearl Reference 6 lug Snare for a crazy cheap price. But not everything on it is original. It has cheap/ugly brass lugs, tension rods, and hoops. I am going to order a new set of Mastercast hoops for it immediately and I would like to replace the lugs asap too. My issue is that after I buy the lugs, I have no idea what size tension rods to get...

What size tension rods fit the stock Pearl BRL-65 Reference lugs?

What size tension rods fit the Pearl TB-65 tube lugs? Same size?

PS - Is there a part number for the long screws that mount the stock BRL lugs to the extra thick Reference snare shell?

Thanks!
    DW-Paiste-Evans-Vic Firth

WTB: DW Romanian River Oak or DW R40 Oak Snare... PM me

2. 2-time PDF FFL CHAMP

According to the 2020 Pearl catalog, a 6.5x13 Reference snare’s stock tension rods are part # SST5047 for the BRL65 lugs. To my knowledge they can be purchased in packs of 6, which would be part number SST5047/6 so you’d need two sets of those if it’s remaining a 6-lug (one set for the top, one for the bottom).

Name:  3CD8EC84-63D2-4596-BE8C-8D6D192A0819.jpg
Views: 221
Size:  90.6 KB

The part # SM-432B would be the screws you need to mount the BRL65 lugs to your 20-ply Reference shell.

Name:  8C1AB6CC-9FA5-411D-B9DD-F967D3CC8ADC.jpg
Views: 221
Size:  83.3 KB

As for the tension rods for TB65 lugs, they appear to be the same as for the BRL65’s (part # SST5047) based on the Sensitone snare listings.

Name:  470A4256-E3FA-4F82-8B88-C858F8E7DF87.jpg
Views: 223
Size:  85.1 KB

Hope to see pictures of your newest addition.
    22x18 (2) | 10x7 | 12x8 | 16x16 | 18x16

22x18 (2) | 10x8 | 12x9 | 14x11 | 16x13

Quote Originally Posted by Maark View Post
    What happens when the Unstoppable Banhammer meets the Immovable Alan12? I think the universe would implode.
    Quote Originally Posted by space jeff View Post
    yeah, but I'm the Jeff that Jeff talks about when he talks about "the Jeff" to other Jeffs.

3. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by sixplymaple View Post

What size tension rods fit the stock Pearl BRL-65 Reference lugs?

Thanks!
    You can also use the 42mm (SST-5042) tension rods with the BRL-65. I just bought a 20-pack of them on Reverb that was a lot cheaper than buying the 6-packs.
    2020 Masterworks / Matte Black Mist

18x20 KD, 14x16 FT, 12x14 FT, 8x10 TT, 6.5x13 SD

2021 Masterworks Cocktail Kit / Bright Champagne Halo

16x16 KD (verticle), 5x10 SD, 5x8 TT, 5x12 TT

4. Registered User

Thank you both so much. This answered my question perfectly and I do appreciate it.

Turns out I had ordered #T-061L/6, which were way cheaper. It’s crazy how expensive the #SST5047/6 rods are!

5. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by MusicMan View Post
    You can also use the 42mm (SST-5042) tension rods with the BRL-65. I just bought a 20-pack of them on Reverb that was a lot cheaper than buying the 6-packs.
    The 42mm aren’t too short? They still give you enough thread to comfortably tune the snare?

6. Registered User

Thanks for all the help! I ended up buying this 6-lug 6.5”x13” Reference Snare on Ebay for $215 including tax + shipping. The lugs, tension rods, and hoops were all horribly cheap aftermarket parts. I thought the drum looked horrible without the factory hardware, so I tracked down the stock Mastercast hoops, tension rods, and lugs online. All of that stock hardware plus some new Puresound snare wires and Evans drumheads only cost me another $225. So I’m only into this drum for a total of $440! I think that’s a steal considering it looks and feels brand new! Plus I’ve never seen a 6-lug snare drum in my life, so that’s pretty cool. Here are some pics...

Before:

After:

7. 2-time PDF FFL CHAMP

Quote Originally Posted by sixplymaple View Post
    Thanks for all the help! I ended up buying this 6-lug 6.5”x13” Reference Snare on Ebay for $215 including tax + shipping. The lugs, tension rods, and hoops were all horribly cheap aftermarket parts. I thought the drum looked horrible without the factory hardware, so I tracked down the stock Mastercast hoops, tension rods, and lugs online. All of that stock hardware plus some new Puresound snare wires and Evans drumheads only cost me another $225. So I’m only into this drum for a total of $440! I think that’s a steal considering it looks and feels brand new! Plus I’ve never seen a 6-lug snare drum in my life, so that’s pretty cool. Here are some pics...

Before:

After:

She’s certainly a beaut! Definitely a score (even after having to put money into it for the OEM hardware)!

And likewise, I didn’t know they had Reference snares in 6-lug patterns until I just happened to notice one 6.5x13 I was looking at on eBay that I really liked also was a 6-lug.
    22x18 (2) | 10x7 | 12x8 | 16x16 | 18x16

22x18 (2) | 10x8 | 12x9 | 14x11 | 16x13

Quote Originally Posted by Maark View Post
    What happens when the Unstoppable Banhammer meets the Immovable Alan12? I think the universe would implode.
    Quote Originally Posted by space jeff View Post
    yeah, but I'm the Jeff that Jeff talks about when he talks about "the Jeff" to other Jeffs.

8. FKA Tasty808

A lot of the older 13” Reference snares were six lug because Pearl only recently started making 13” Mastercast hoops with the 8 holes in the past couple of years.

Beautiful snare, and what a deal! Nice work!