Pearl Drummers Forum - Powered by vBulletin

• Home
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Masters Maniac......

Default Dipping my toe in the water... Masterworks order form inside

Well...... Its been a minute.....

First time back in nearly ten years.

For those that remember, I was the obnoxious loud Scottish bloke (I was younger, forgive me haha) that used to spam the 'show us your kit' section with what seemed like endless pics and threads of my kit.. I still own the diamond burst BRP and have added a few other Pearl Snare drums and another Masters kit to my collection since.

Im scratching an itch I've had a for a while. Masterworks.

I own a scarlet fade Masterworks snare 14x6.5 in ref specs and it's gave me a taste of the masterworks line.

I've placed an order for a custom spec MW snare this past week to tide me over until I get the cash together for the full kit..... And because I'm into huge kits, it's not cheap haha.

So, details........ Kit will follow the same trend as the snare in terms of specs with some differences in plys, edges etc as to be expected.

Fat tone hoops.
    Tube lugs
    Black nickel hardware
    10 ply. 2.ply bubinga veneer, 4 maple and 4 inner mahogany
    14x6
    45 degree edges

Finish is based on an artisan finish I've already seen but with a veneer change.

Satin sunrise fade over bubinga (ignore order form, we have since changed it)

From what I was told, I wouldn't receive a sample of the finish until I literally see the snare drum at my door? Is this correct? I thought we got to see samples of our custom finish if they weren't already in production?

Can anyone photoshop that for me? *hint hint silver*
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Last edited by Doogie...; 02-21-2021 at 04:23 AM.
    Pearl Masters BRP 165 Diamond Burst
    Pearl Reference Twilight Fade 14x5.5 Snare
    Sabian AAX HH HHX
    Pro-Mark Evans Remo Apple Shure

2. Registered User

Congrats on your upcoming MW kit. I think I remember your Diamond Burst Masters kit from back in the day, great kit and finish!

From what I understand is that you order a sample from the factory, or at least that's recommended. If you approve the sample, the factory has a physical example of the finish you want and can get to work. Since you want an existing Pearl finish (or at least one they have done before) the chances of them messing up the finish are smaller than when you order a new finish.
    But there are experienced MW owners on here who can tell you more about the ordering process.

This is what I came up with, the finish is a bit darker compared to the picture you posted. This is because Bubinga is a darker wood then the Black Limba.

3. Masters Maniac......

Wow. That's pretty much what I'd envisioned and I appreciate its hard to see the full finish as being satin in a digitally rendered image. But wow..

I'd be happy with that absolutely. Thanks for taking the time to do that for me.

What's best way to contact pearl To order a finish sample? I'm Europe. Anyone know?
    Sabian AAX HH HHX

4. Masters Maniac......

Quote Originally Posted by Silver View Post
    Congrats on your upcoming MW kit. I think I remember your Diamond Burst Masters kit from back in the day, great kit and finish!

From what I understand is that you order a sample from the factory, or at least that's recommended. If you approve the sample, the factory has a physical example of the finish you want and can get to work. Since you want an existing Pearl finish (or at least one they have done before) the chances of them messing up the finish are smaller than when you order a new finish.
    But there are experienced MW owners on here who can tell you more about the ordering process.

This is what I came up with, the finish is a bit darker compared to the picture you posted. This is because Bubinga is a darker wood then the Black Limba.
    Il be a slight pain?

Is it possible to lighten the colours a little? To make the red slightly more vibrant to compensate for the bubinga being a darker wood?
    Sabian AAX HH HHX

5. Skeld-the -wicked

Welcome back Doggie. You have fine taste in drums. That finish is beautiful. Back in October I found a Masterworks snare 10 ply African mahogany and itís fantastic! You will love Fat tone hoops!
    Last edited by skeld-the-wicked; 02-21-2021 at 07:21 AM.
    Pearl Drums

6. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Doogie... View Post
    Wow. That's pretty much what I'd envisioned and I appreciate its hard to see the full finish as being satin in a digitally rendered image. But wow..
    Yeah, satin is a bit harder to do because if I decrease the high gloss layer it loses the 3D effect and looks like a flat image.
    But I always say that these renderings are just a starting point. To check the colours of the finish, where burst/fades should start, trying different hardware colours etc. The end result is going to look a million times better.

In the US the samples go through your dealer right? Wouldn't Europe be the same?
    Go to the store where you would place your MW order and they in turn would probably contact their Pearl sales rep to order a sample. I'm guessing since I never went through this process, but that would seem a logical route to me.

7. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Doogie... View Post
    Il be a slight pain?

Is it possible to lighten the colours a little? To make the red slightly more vibrant to compensate for the bubinga being a darker wood?
    Not a pain at all, happy to help. Something like this?

BTW, it's easy for me to manipulate the colours in Photoshop, but I don't know if it's possible to apply this shade of yellow on a dark wood while still maintaining the see-through grain. All the more reason to get a sample beforehand.

8. Dalmi Joedi - Jedi

Custom finishes are always fun to work on. Some drums I’ve had were straight ahead and a couple were slightly different. Either way, pick something that stands the test of time. I think that’s the direction you’re headed.

9. Masters Maniac......

That's pretty much perfect my friend. Thanks so much for this.
    Sabian AAX HH HHX

10. Masters Maniac......

Quote Originally Posted by dale w miller View Post
    Custom finishes are always fun to work on. Some drums I’ve had were straight ahead and a couple were slightly different. Either way, pick something that stands the test of time. I think that’s the direction you’re headed.
    Yeah, this is my thinking.

Intially I toyed with the idea of blue.... But just didn't like what I saw, then I went down the red route.... Again
    ... Wasn't sold.

Kept seeing hot, warm sunrise, candy apple based colours and fell in love...... So here we are... Satin sunrise fade with bubinga...... Its going to a be a keeper.
    Sabian AAX HH HHX

11. Masters Maniac......

Quote Originally Posted by skeld-the-wicked View Post
    Welcome back Doggie. You have fine taste in drums. That finish is beautiful. Back in October I found a Masterworks snare 10 ply African mahogany and it’s fantastic! You will love Fat tone hoops!
    Thanks buddy. I've got a masterworks snare in ref pure specs with the fat tone hoops and I love it too.
    Sabian AAX HH HHX

12. Registered User

This is awesome!!