Pearl Drummers Forum - Powered by vBulletin

  • Home
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 13 to 24 of 27
  1. Playing since 1976

    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    7,612

    Default

    Bubinga will not look yellow like that. The overall appearance of the drum will be much darker. If you want the drum to look more like your photo, you should stick to Black Limba, Flamed Maple, Tamo, or another type of light wood.
    Website ===> CLICK HERE
    Reverb Listings ===> CLICK HERE
    eBay Auctions ===> CLICK HERE
    YouTube channel ===> CLICK HERE


  2. Registered User

    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    The Netherlands
    Posts
    482

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Drumming-4-Life View Post
    Bubinga will not look yellow like that. The overall appearance of the drum will be much darker. If you want the drum to look more like your photo, you should stick to Black Limba, Flamed Maple, Tamo, or another type of light wood.
    Well you could, but at the expense of the visibility of the Bubinga grain. But you're probably right, Bubinga is a great veneer but it limits you mostly to reds, browns and blacks in terms of finish options. But you could always request a sample and see what the paint-wizards at the factory can come up with.

    Doogie, if you want I can apply the finish to different veneers to see what it looks like?

  3. Registered User

    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    The Netherlands
    Posts
    482

    Default

    I think the endresult will probably be more orange instead of yellow. Something like this kit, which is Rootbeer fade over Burl Mahogany (also a dark wood):


  4. Masters Maniac......

    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Bonnie Scotland!
    Posts
    2,666

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Silver View Post
    I think the endresult will probably be more orange instead of yellow. Something like this kit, which is Rootbeer fade over Burl Mahogany (also a dark wood):

    Yeah silver, if you can spare the time, show me what the colours would look like over different veneers. That would be much appreciated
    Pearl Masters BRP 165 Diamond Burst
    Pearl Reference Twilight Fade 14x5.5 Snare
    Sabian AAX HH HHX
    Pro-Mark Evans Remo Apple Shure



  5. Registered User

    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    The Netherlands
    Posts
    482

    Default

    Ok, I have 3 Artisan options for you. Flame Maple, Tamo & Zebrawood. You already know what it looks like over Black Limba.
    I've used the same shade of yellow and red as the Bubinga samples, but they appear lighter because the basis is lighter in colour.

    I'm not satisfied with the Flame Maple, doesn't seem to work. Tamo looks nice and the Zebrawood has some similarities with the Black Limba.
    Attached Images Attached Images    

  6. Registered User

    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    The Netherlands
    Posts
    482

    Default

    And one more with the Bubinga, but with the yellow replaced by a similar orange like the Rootbeer Fade since apparently orange should be possible on a dark wood.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

  7. Masters Maniac......

    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Bonnie Scotland!
    Posts
    2,666

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Silver View Post
    And one more with the Bubinga, but with the yellow replaced by a similar orange like the Rootbeer Fade since apparently orange should be possible on a dark wood.
    Im actually liking the darker tones in the bubinga compared to the others. Reinforcing my initial choice of bubinga as the veneer.. Aswell as the fact I simply just love the woodgrain pattern the best out of all the options. The zebra wood above looks pretty phenomenal too tbf.

    I think I'd be quite happy with more of the brown coming through and sticking to the v2 satin sunrise fade from original discussions. Darker more orange tones are fine with me. I've sent that image over to pearl Europe to request a sample.... I'm pretty much 99.9% sure that will be the finish I pick.

    Thanks for the advice and photoshopping buddy. You've been absolutely critical and super decisive in helping me come to a solid choice. Il hopefully hear back from the rep and start the process for a sample. ��
    Pearl Masters BRP 165 Diamond Burst
    Pearl Reference Twilight Fade 14x5.5 Snare
    Sabian AAX HH HHX
    Pro-Mark Evans Remo Apple Shure



  8. Registered User

    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    The Netherlands
    Posts
    482

    Default

    No problem, glad to be of service.

    Be sure to post some pics of the samples when they come in. I'm interested to see how the version 2 of the finish turns out on Bubinga.

  9. Masters Maniac......

    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Bonnie Scotland!
    Posts
    2,666

    Default

    So I got my sample in yesterday.

    Wow.

    As was mentioned, it was darker than I'd initially envisioned. But by no means was it not what I wanted. In sunlight it's absolutely breathtaking and ultimately, it's exactly what I wanted. The wood grain is almost holographic and the red to orange face is incredible.

    My snare order is already underway, but il be making the full kit order by the end of the month
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    Pearl Masters BRP 165 Diamond Burst
    Pearl Reference Twilight Fade 14x5.5 Snare
    Sabian AAX HH HHX
    Pro-Mark Evans Remo Apple Shure



  10. Playing since 1976

    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    7,612

    Default

    Looks nice! Silver was spot on with his mock up of the bubinga.
    Website ===> CLICK HERE
    Reverb Listings ===> CLICK HERE
    eBay Auctions ===> CLICK HERE
    YouTube channel ===> CLICK HERE


  11. Registered User

    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    The Netherlands
    Posts
    482

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Doogie... View Post
    So I got my sample in yesterday.

    Wow.

    As was mentioned, it was darker than I'd initially envisioned. But by no means was it not what I wanted. In sunlight it's absolutely breathtaking and ultimately, it's exactly what I wanted. The wood grain is almost holographic and the red to orange face is incredible.

    My snare order is already underway, but il be making the full kit order by the end of the month
    Doogie, glad to hear from you. And wow, that finish looks amazing man! I love how the colour changes depending on the exposure to light. In the first picture the black is solid but in the 3rd you can actually see a bit of grain. And in the second picture the red almost seems a bit purple-ish and the orange more natural. Absolutely love it! And love the satin look, good choice!

    So how long did it take from ordering the sample to receiving it? And in what finish did you order your MW snare?

  12. Masters Maniac......

    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Bonnie Scotland!
    Posts
    2,666

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Silver View Post
    Doogie, glad to hear from you. And wow, that finish looks amazing man! I love how the colour changes depending on the exposure to light. In the first picture the black is solid but in the 3rd you can actually see a bit of grain. And in the second picture the red almost seems a bit purple-ish and the orange more natural. Absolutely love it! And love the satin look, good choice!

    So how long did it take from ordering the sample to receiving it? And in what finish did you order your MW snare?
    It took exactly 6 weeks from requesting the sample to it landing at my door.

    I've actually went ahead and ordered the full kit instead of just the snare..
    Pearl Masters BRP 165 Diamond Burst
    Pearl Reference Twilight Fade 14x5.5 Snare
    Sabian AAX HH HHX
    Pro-Mark Evans Remo Apple Shure



Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •