Pearl Drummers Forum - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. FKA Tasty808

Default Pearl limited edition Black Brass questions.

Okay, so many of you know that Drum Center of Portsmouth (DCP) recently released a series of 30 LE Black on Brass 14" x 6.5" snare drums modeled after the old Steve Ferrone sig. snare. My question is, how is this snare different than the one I bought nearly ten years ago? DCP says that their's is a 1mm shell where as mine was originally listed as 1.5mm. I'm fairly certain that the current Brass Sensitones are 1.2mm thick based on conversations I've had with other enthusiasts. DCP also claim that they had Pearl make these specifically for them?

As far as I can tell/remember, the order was the SF sig. with the 1.5mm shell, followed by the LE with the same shell shortly after he left for Gretsch, and then these physically IDENTICAL models offered by DCP but with a 1mm shell?!

I personally think they just stumbled onto some NOS in storage and are saying that they had them made recently. I think they are actually 1.5mm. I think if they were made special for them like they claim, they would have the new oval shaped LE badge instead of the one Pearl was using years ago.
    Attached Images Attached Images   

2. FKA Tasty808

Also, there were two different versions of the LE just after SF left...
    Attached Images Attached Images    

3. Deferoxa

either way it's one gorgeous snare drum !
    10 pc Pearl Vision VSX #436 Strata Red w/Black HW
    http://www.pearldrummersforum.com/sh...d.php?t=246977Latest pics page 80 !

4. The Sensitone Guy

Not sure the history of that current brass snare offering. I always assumed the shell thicknesses on all Pearl brass snares, but could be wrong. (Probably am!)

I own two brass Sensitones: 5x14 black brass and 5.5x14 shiny brass (which I applied my own patina to... Turned out great). They are both pretty heavy but I think the black brass is slightly heavier, so could have a thicker shell. Both sound great. The black brass snare is so pristine, I never take it out of the case, certainly never to a gig!

5. Playing since 1976

While DCoP is known for offering limited edition snare drums from various brands, AND Pearl would make a limited run of snare drums for a specific retailer (I remember Al telling me that 30 was the minimum order they could place with PMI in Taiwan), I think this specific drum you're talking about is a leftover, for the reasons you mentioned. I just purchased a snare drum made exclusively for DCoP, and it had a different model number than other similar drums offered in the general retail market. I noticed DCoP had the model number listed as SBR1465SF; is this the same model number as your older version? If so, my guess remains that it's a leftover.
    Website ===> CLICK HERE
    Reverb Listings ===> CLICK HERE
    eBay Auctions ===> CLICK HERE
    YouTube channel ===> CLICK HERE

6. FKA Tasty808

Quote Originally Posted by Andy H View Post
    Not sure the history of that current brass snare offering. I always assumed the shell thicknesses on all Pearl brass snares, but could be wrong. (Probably am!) I own two brass Sensitones: 5x14 black brass and 5.5x14 shiny brass (which I applied my own patina to... Turned out great). They are both pretty heavy but I think the black brass is slightly heavier, so could have a thicker shell. Both sound great. The black brass snare is so pristine, I never take it out of the case, certainly never to a gig!
    I remember the patina snare! That was the first time I had seen anyone do something like that. I love that snare!

Quote Originally Posted by Drumming-4-Life View Post
    While DCoP is known for offering limited edition snare drums from various brands, AND Pearl would make a limited run of snare drums for a specific retailer (I remember Al telling me that 30 was the minimum order they could place with PMI in Taiwan), I think this specific drum you're talking about is a leftover, for the reasons you mentioned. I just purchased a snare drum made exclusively for DCoP, and it had a different model number than other similar drums offered in the general retail market. I noticed DCoP had the model number listed as SBR1465SF; is this the same model number as your older version? If so, my guess remains that it's a leftover.
    A DCP exclusive?
    Is it a Tama?
    Is it metal?

7. The Sensitone Guy

Quote Originally Posted by Josh Conover View Post
    I remember the patina snare! That was the first time I had seen anyone do something like that. I love that snare!
    Thanks for the kind words. That snare is the one I play most. Love it!

8. Playing since 1976

Quote Originally Posted by Josh Conover View Post
    A DCP exclusive? Is it a Tama? Is it metal?
    Yep, yep, and yep... . But seriously, DCoP orders small groups of exclusive drums all the time, many made to their specs. They do it with Tama, DW, Canopus, etc. I know Al said the magic number for order custom specs is 30, so it's possible. But THAT particular drum you mentioned looks like leftovers.
    Website ===> CLICK HERE

9. Pearl Corporation USA

DCoP did request 30 of the brass snare model SBR1465SF late last year which was exclusive for them since that model had been discontinued since November of 2012.

Pearl USA | Nashville

10. Playing since 1976

Quote Originally Posted by AL PERCIVAL View Post
    DCoP did request 30 of the brass snare model SBR1465SF late last year which was exclusive for them since that model had been discontinued since November of 2012.
    What Josh was wondering was if they are the same leftover shells from 2012, when SF/Pearl ended their arrangement? Thanks Al!
    Website ===> CLICK HERE

11. Pearl Corporation USA

Quote Originally Posted by Drumming-4-Life View Post
    What Josh was wondering was if they are the same leftover shells from 2012, when SF/Pearl ended their arrangement? Thanks Al!
    No way to know. It's possible?

I found a couple of left over 1989 CZX 24" birdseye maple bass drum hoops here in the warehouse. I mean come on? From 1989, brand spanking new still wrapped. I jumped all over them.

Pearl USA | Nashville

12. FKA Tasty808

Thanks Al!

You snap any pics of those hoops? I'd love to comb through the Pearl warehouse...

You aren't still planning on retiring, are you? We will surely all miss your warehouse wisdom and assistance direct from headquarters. Maybe you'll have more time to hang with the PDF gang?!