Pearl Drummers Forum - Powered by vBulletin

1. FKA Tasty808

Default 8-lug Masters snare?

I came across a listing for a Masters series snare with 8 lugs. It appears to be a 14" x 5/5.5" MMX maple with rerings. Everything looks fairly legit, but was this actually an option? Did Pearl ever have reinforcement rings in lower lines like the Session series? Maybe it's a cut-down?
    Attached Images Attached Images   

2. The Sensitone Guy

I thought all the Masters series 14" snares were 10-Luggers. Never heard of an 8-lug. Sounds like a modified tom, or perhaps a data plate swap, but I could be wrong.

3. Playing since 1976

Is it possible it's actually a 13" snare? The lugs look closer together than a typical 14"/8-lug snare. That would explain the 8 lugs.
    Website ===> CLICK HERE
    Reverb Listings ===> CLICK HERE
    eBay Auctions ===> CLICK HERE
    YouTube channel ===> CLICK HERE

4. FKA Tasty808

Quote Originally Posted by Andy H View Post
    I thought all the Masters series 14" snares were 10-Luggers. Never heard of an 8-lug. Sounds like a modified tom, or perhaps a data plate swap, but I could be wrong.
    I thought the same about ten lugs. Then I thought about the badge switch or cut-down tom, but the reinforcement rings threw me...

5. FKA Tasty808

Quote Originally Posted by Drumming-4-Life View Post
    Is it possible it's actually a 13" snare? The lugs look closer together than a typical 14"/8-lug snare. That would explain the 8 lugs.
    I guess it's possible... but didn't Pearl just start making the 8-lug 13" Mastercast hoops a few years ago? I guess those could be new. Maybe a special order?

6. Playing since 1976

Quote Originally Posted by Josh Conover View Post
    I guess it's possible... but didn't Pearl just start making the 8-lug 13" Mastercast hoops a few years ago? I guess those could be new. Maybe a special order?
    The hoops don't have the Mastercast stickers, and may not even be Pearl hoops.
    Website ===> CLICK HERE

7. FKA Tasty808

Quote Originally Posted by Drumming-4-Life View Post
    The hoops don't have the Mastercast stickers, and may not even be Pearl hoops.
    Could be on the other side. I do that with every single drum I own with Mastercast hoops with the exception of my Ultracast. Also could just be removed...

8. Playing since 1976

Well here is another anomaly, 14" with 8 lugs... apparently some were made this way?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Pearl-Tradi...0AAOSwTxhf0IzN
    Website ===> CLICK HERE

9. Registered User

The listing D4L posted is from Japan. The only other examples of drums like this I can find are the same. While I don't have documentation to use as evidence, I believe there must have been Masters snare drums exclusive to the Japanese market not available to NA that were 8 lug 14" and that this is an example of that.