Pearl Drummers Forum - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. The Sensitone Guy

Default First audition tomorrow after over a year's break

About a year ago I had to quit my band due to a crazy work schedule. My career took a nosedive. Life was bad. Wife and I decided to downsize, sell our main residence and move to our small "vacation" house out in the country in Northern Michigan and retire early. The price for never having to work again was basically my band, my practice studio and drumming. Frankly, I'm loving life, but still miss drumming.

I stumbled upon a Craigslist ad from a nearby biker band looking for a drummer. Phone interviews went very well. They want me bad. It helps that I'm probably the only drummer within 100 miles! I audition tomorrow. I'll let you know how it goes.

2. Drumming Since 1943

Sorry but what’s a “biker band”?
    Way Too Much Crap

3. The Sensitone Guy

Quote Originally Posted by JY Kelly View Post
    Sorry but what’s a “biker band”?
    Bikers = Members of motorcycle clubs, normally riding Harley Davidsons
    Last edited by Andy H; 01-02-2021 at 06:19 PM.

4. Drumming Since 1943

Quote Originally Posted by Andy H View Post
    Bikers = Members of motorcycle clubs, normally riding Harley Davidsons
    As a rider if a 2010 Street Glide, I am aware of what the image of a “biker” is. But I’m wondering what a “biker BAND” is.
    Way Too Much Crap

5. The Sensitone Guy

Quote Originally Posted by JY Kelly View Post
    As a rider if a 2010 Street Glide, I am aware of what the image of a “biker” is. But I’m wondering what a “biker BAND” is.
    I'll need to get clarification, but my understanding is that the band exists because its founding members are in the biker club. They actually played a New Years gig days ago for club members.

6. The Sensitone Guy

I'll be using the "house kit" with whatever things I want to add. Just because... I'm bringing an entire small kit just in case I show up and there's some unforeseen issue like missing clutch, broken kick head, etc....

My "small" kit:

16x20 Yamaha stage custom
    9x10 Pearl MCX
    14x14 Pearl MCX
    5.5x14 Pearl Sensitone elite brass

20" Avedis Zildjian medium ride
    18" Avedis Zildjian medium ride
    14" Avedis Zildjian new beat hats

SM58 vocal mic

7. A Passion Play ...

Best of luck. Stay safe and have fun.
    Keep an eye on all of your gear too.
    Eric G : Pearl,pAiSTe,Remo,Vic Firth,SKB,Roc n Soc,Roland V-Drums. Masters MCX Chestnut fade.
    22"x18",10"x8",12"x9",16"x16". Ian Paice Snare. Why not ...

8. Registered User

phx-az since 1978. The best sunsets occur during the monsoon season June-Sept.

Biker bands will play stuff like Sweet Home Alabama, Born to be Wild, Mustang Sally, Freebird, Johnny Cash, ZZ Top and whatever classic rock fits.
    "Now just a minute. This is a press conference. The last thing I want to do is answer a lot of questions."

United States Army General Maynard M. Mitchell
    Press briefing. Korea 1950

9. PEARL EXX

Did he make it back from the audition or was his drum set run over by a bunch of Harleys.

10. Registered User

Their relationship is now well cemented...

11. The Sensitone Guy

The audition went great. They want me. But... They won't "fire" the old drummer. Bikers honor code, I suppose. They plan on letting him leave on his own, or not at all. I'm gonna be the "second" drummer in the band. And when the primary guy eventually departs, I'm in. We scheduled another practice for Wednesday.

We jammed for 3 hours. I ended up using the house kit: a beat up 30 year old Ludwig 5-piece. Actually, it didn't sound bad at all. I used the Ludwig with my snare and throne.

The guy's house was beautiful. It was a huge log home he built himself. The music room acoustics were excellent.

12. Drumming Since 1943

Quote Originally Posted by Andy H View Post
    The audition went great. They want me. But... They won't "fire" the old drummer. Bikers honor code, I suppose. They plan on letting him leave on his own, or not at all. I'm gonna be the "second" drummer in the band. And when the primary guy eventually departs, I'm in. We scheduled another practice for Wednesday.

We jammed for 3 hours. I ended up using the house kit: a beat up 30 year old Ludwig 5-piece. Actually, it didn't sound bad at all. I used the Ludwig with my snare and throne.

The guy's house was beautiful. It was a huge log home he built himself. The music room acoustics were excellent.
    Beautiful home aside, walk away. This is a s****y situation that will not end well.
    Way Too Much Crap