Pearl Drummers Forum - Powered by vBulletin

• Home
Page 2 of 22 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast
  1. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by MWRushR40 View Post
    Good for you Jamie, glad you're about to embark on your own Masterworks journey. I've now gone through the process 4 times (2 kits and 2 separate add-on orders), and every time has been a great experience. Sure the downside is waiting, but you're gunna have that with any custom order. I have placed 3 of my 4 orders since Pearl instituted their new 90 day policy of Masterworks orders being completed, and I can attest to the fact that they have held true to that policy. The old 4-6 month wait time got to be a little long, but now it seems as if time flies by before your order shows up. The whole process is exciting, especially if it's your first order - from requesting samples and receiving them, to filling out the order form and submitting, to waiting, and then finally taking delivery of your kit. I've acquired a lot of drum gear over the years, but to me there is nothing more thrilling than seeing those boxes with "Masterworks" printed on them show up and unboxing them. It's like Christmas morning

Love the finish you're after, that will look amazing over black limba. And I think the black nickel hardware will really set it off and make it pop. The Ref pure lugs are a classy touch as well. And although there were some who criticized Pearl for offering gum wood as an option in their Masterworks and Masters line, after hearing lots of sound clips and watching video demos, I think they knocked it out of the park by offering it - that studio recipe truly sounds amazing.

Can't wait to see your updates along the way. Congrats again and Happy New Year.
    Happy New Year Chris! Hope you're well. I'm pretty stoked and might have to hit you up for some MW advice. Glad to hear you've had such positive experiences with MW and Pearl. It's been a while since I've owned a Pearl kit and that was a Ref which I really couldn't get comfy with. I owned the old Rectangular badged Masters Custom 4 ply reringed shells and they felt great to play. I agree on the videos, which I've watched quite a bit and If I didn't go with the Studio recipe, I would have chosen the Urban recipe. I just realized they specify which HW to use with each ply layup but I'm going a different route. Hope to have some progress in the way of submitting an order and request for samples on Monday. Good to hear from you!

2. Registered User

Here is one that is closer to your colors but not really the burst you are looking for. Best I can do with limited skills. A pro could do what you want, but would take some time.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

3. Registered User

Congratulations Jamie!!

4. Registered User

I cropped the image from the original post to show in better detail (hopefully) how I want the burst to end with less blue and more green/blue. Its hard to find a good reference for this finish. Here is my best shot.

Name:  20210103_224206.jpg
Views: 423
Size:  106.3 KB

Name:  20210103_223836.jpg
Views: 412
Size:  30.3 KB

5. A Passion Play ...

Best of luck on the new drums. Congratulations.
    Eric G : Pearl,pAiSTe,Remo,Vic Firth,SKB,Roc n Soc,Roland V-Drums. Masters MCX Chestnut fade.
    22"x18",10"x8",12"x9",16"x16". Ian Paice Snare. Why not ...

6. Playing since 1976

Quote Originally Posted by j kuhl View Post
    I cropped the image from the original post to show in better detail (hopefully) how I want the burst to end with less blue and more green/blue. Its hard to find a good reference for this finish. Here is my best shot.

Name:  20210103_224206.jpg
Views: 423
Size:  106.3 KB

Name:  20210103_223836.jpg
Views: 412
Size:  30.3 KB
    This is exactly why you want a physical finish sample. This will give the factory a chance to see if they can simulate what you're looking for. Then you will have a concrete example of what you should expect you see when you [hopefully pleasantly] open up the boxes.
    Website ===> CLICK HERE
    Reverb Listings ===> CLICK HERE
    eBay Auctions ===> CLICK HERE
    YouTube channel ===> CLICK HERE

7. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Drumming-4-Life View Post
    This is exactly why you want a physical finish sample. This will give the factory a chance to see if they can simulate what you're looking for. Then you will have a concrete example of what you should expect you see when you [hopefully pleasantly] open up the boxes.
    No doubt Matt. I talked to my sales person today and we'll be requesting finish samples for sure. I just realized that NAMM will likely bring some new options as well, so I'm in no hurry. My money has been paid towards a high gloss, artisan kit, in the sizes outlined in the op and until a finish request is sent, I suppose I'm still open to ideas. I really wish my concept were already in existence and the fact that it's not, could be telling hahaha. I'm glad nothing is final yet. Thanks for all the help Matt.

8. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by VAPORTRAIL View Post
    Here is one that is closer to your colors but not really the burst you are looking for. Best I can do with limited skills. A pro could do what you want, but would take some time.
    Very interesting and I really appreciate the willingness to help. That reminds me of an old MW kit on here that people called "Joker Burst".

9. Registered User

Thanks Eric, much appreciated.

10. Registered User

GD that will look BEAUTIFUL Jamie !!!!!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by dexplosion View Post
    Boom stands are for sissies.

11. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Snakes&Arrows View Post
    GD that will look BEAUTIFUL Jamie !!!!!!!
    Thanks, I sure hope so hahahaha! In the process of conveying my finish request to my sales person Matt Maesek at Sweetwater. He handled my ekit/mimic pro order and was as attenive as one could hope for. I highly recommend him, great dude.

Oh and decided to change to die cast as to go with Pearl's expertise for this shell layup. Sticking with ref pure lugs though. They're too sexy.
    Last edited by j kuhl; 01-07-2021 at 10:16 AM.

12. Registered Loser

Sounds like this will be a wicked lookin' kit. Great size choice as well. I look forward to seeing the photos of the samples and, eventually, the real deal!