Pearl Drummers Forum - Powered by vBulletin

• Home
Page 19 of 20 FirstFirst ... 9151617181920 LastLast
  1. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by AL PERCIVAL View Post
    I like it because its different and a unique combo color. Plus it is going to look different over larger drums.

Would look great with nickel or black nickel hardware.
    It's such a close call between it and the other two. I can definitely see another kit sometime in the future, too many hard choices to make, theres no way only one kit would get it done hahahha. Half joking.

2. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by j kuhl View Post
    It's such a close call between it and the other two. I can definitely see another kit sometime in the future, too many hard choices to make, theres no way only one kit would get it done hahahha. Half joking.
    Get the toms and bassdrum in Bubinga, the main snare in Tangerine-Purple Black Limba and a side-snare in Scuba Black Limba. There, problem solved

3. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Silver View Post
    Get the toms and bassdrum in Bubinga, the main snare in Tangerine-Purple Black Limba and a side-snare in Scuba Black Limba. There, problem solved
    Not a bad idea hahaha. I'm holding tight to the 4 drums for now, although I've been waiting for a snare for several months now and may cancel and opt to have an MW built in one of the losing finishes. I have some really nice 10 lug, die cast profile, wood hoops, that are looking for a home on a snare. They're natural Birdseye but I bet I could get a builder, or paint shop, to spray them to match whatever I get. If its one of these, I feel like they need color but maybe natural would work as well?

4. Registered User

Order is in. I went with Purple to natural Bubinga fade. Going with Purple on the batters of the floor and rack toms and on the reso of the kick. Black nickel hw, super hoops and ref pure lugs over 4 ply shells. 1 outer ply of bubinga, 1 ply of maple (carrier ply) and 2 inner plies of African Mahogany, plus the maple rerings. Standard 45s on all the drums. 10x8 12x8 14x14 20x14. I wanted to copy the MHX shell but the Bubinga outer ply requires a maple carrier and so the hybrid shell. Waiting to hear from Tom on the kick edge but that may change. Coated ambs over clear and a white kick reso with a clear PS3. If this kit gets done in 90 days from that date of confirmation, I'll be both shocked and stoked. I appreciate the back and forth and especially the help from Silver, thank you.

5. Playing since 1976

Order is in. I went with Purple to natural Bubinga fade. Going with Purple on the batters of the floor and rack toms and on the reso of the kick. Black nickel hw, super hoops and ref pure lugs over 4 ply shells. 1 outer ply of bubinga, 1 ply of maple (carrier ply) and 2 inner plies of African Mahogany, plus the maple rerings. Standard 45s on all the drums. 10x8 12x8 14x14 20x14. I wanted to copy the MHX shell but the Bubinga outer ply requires a maple carrier and so the hybrid shell. Waiting to hear from Tom on the kick edge but that may change. Coated ambs over clear and a white kick reso with a clear PS3. If this kit gets done in 90 days from that date of confirmation, I'll be both shocked and stoked. I appreciate the back and forth and especially the help from Silver, thank you.
    I'm interested to see the final product, along with how long it takes to arrive; the timer starts at 4/26/21. If they deliver in 90 days, you will have spent more time picking the finish than them making the drums LOL! I hope they turn out the way you want!
    Website ===> CLICK HERE
    Reverb Listings ===> CLICK HERE
    eBay Auctions ===> CLICK HERE
    YouTube channel ===> CLICK HERE

6. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Drumming-4-Life View Post
    I'm interested to see the final product, along with how long it takes to arrive; the timer starts at 4/26/21. If they deliver in 90 days, you will have spent more time picking the finish than them making the drums LOL! I hope they turn out the way you want!
    Haha, let me get confirmation from Tom that the order is final. Then we can start the legit countdown. I gave him the green light based on the specs outlined above.

I know I took a long time on the finish. That's mostly due to the fact that, I had a totally different idea, than my original idea and right around the time the first samples were arriving. Time will tell if I made the right choice but I feel really good about it every time I look at the sample. If they choose some really dense figuring for my veneers, I think the finish will pop even more. Fingers crossed!

This should be a pretty cool little kit, highly portable and compact, thanks to the 20x14. I've never paid much attention to how heavy a drum kit is, I mean at worst, we're maybe talking 10lbs difference for an extremely thick shell with heavy hw, big deal. I feel that point gets more attention than it deserves but this kit should be pretty light as a result of the thin shells and smallish dimensions. The weight wasn't a concern honestly and I wouldn't hesitate to gig a kit like a phx or heavy sq2 (i did) if they sound and feel good.

This won't be my last kit and I've thoroughly enjoyed the process and the help from Tom, Al and everyone here. I lurked here from around 08 until the time I Joined in early 2010 and the MW section was always busy and a fun place to visit to observe all of the different kits people were dreaming up. Having been through the process definitely has me prepared, if I ever do it again. The amount of choices is pretty substantial and if you have an idea, Pearl seems fairly willing to try to entertain it. I forgot that you can get artisan inner plies and inlays etc. Lot's to choose from for sure.

7. Registered User

Congrats on your MW order! I personally think you made a great choice with the finish, although it was a tough choice and hopefully those other finishes eventually become a MW-kit for someone else. I also like your choice of shell, I've played a MHX kit (a long time ago) and I loved the sound of those Mahogany shells.

Now it's a matter of waiting, but seeing your patience during the ordering process, that shouldn't be a problem for you. Plus, it's 'only' 90 days, which is an improvement over the old waiting time of 4-6 months I believe it was? Or was it longer for MW?
    Anyway, again congrats and keep us updated and of course lots of pics when it arrives.

8. Usurper Title

Quote Originally Posted by Drumming-4-Life View Post
    If they deliver in 90 days, you will have spent more time picking the finish than them making the drums
    I would think the actual making of the drums has to be about two weeks, tops.

Looking forward to unboxing, set up, and playing videos! And photos!

9. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Silver View Post
    Congrats on your MW order! I personally think you made a great choice with the finish, although it was a tough choice and hopefully those other finishes eventually become a MW-kit for someone else. I also like your choice of shell, I've played a MHX kit (a long time ago) and I loved the sound of those Mahogany shells.

Now it's a matter of waiting, but seeing your patience during the ordering process, that shouldn't be a problem for you. Plus, it's 'only' 90 days, which is an improvement over the old waiting time of 4-6 months I believe it was? Or was it longer for MW?
    Anyway, again congrats and keep us updated and of course lots of pics when it arrives.
    Thanks! You really had a hand in developing this finish and who knows if i would have been able to convey my idea without your help. Maybe I'll order another MW one day in the Scuba over Liimba finish. You're right that the other samples deserve to be made into full kits. Ive been a big fan of thick shells for the last decade or so but wanted to go a different route after liking the sound of the mhx drums in Pearl's mimic pro module so much.

The wait will be a breeze but that's not to say, I'm not super excited because I am. And 90 days is really fast too. I'm ok if they take their time, if it means a better end result. Pearl if you're listening, take your time and choose the coolest, most highly figured veneers please, I'll gladly wait hahaha. Thanks again Silver.

10. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Feenix View Post
    I would think the actual making of the drums has to be about two weeks, tops.

Looking forward to unboxing, set up, and playing videos! And photos!
    Thanks man. I'll definitely do all of those things, except maybe the unboxing/setup thing hahaha. I wonder how close to the actual build time your estimate is. Maybe Al knows?

11. Pearl Corporation USA

Thanks man. I'll definitely do all of those things, except maybe the unboxing/setup thing hahaha. I wonder how close to the actual build time your estimate is. Maybe Al knows?
    Tom would have a better estimate on that that I. I do know that everything coming from Asia right now for pretty much all manufactures is slow-slow-slow because of covid-19 and container delays. I imagine it will improve once the vaccination % goes up and we slowly get back to normal.

Pearl Corporation USA | Nashville

12. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by AL PERCIVAL View Post
    Tom would have a better estimate on that that I. I do know that everything coming from Asia right now for pretty much all manufactures is slow-slow-slow because of covid-19 and container delays. I imagine it will improve once the vaccination % goes up and we slowly get back to normal.
    Tom said that orders are getting eta's of September and depending on the shipping over the summer, potentially October. I asked him about the opti tweak, that I believe Gene Okamoto discovered and wondered if you knew what it entailed, or anyone else for that matter? Still waiting on the official confirmation but I'm entirely signed off down to the heads on all the drums!