Pearl Drummers Forum - Powered by vBulletin

• Home
Page 18 of 19 FirstFirst ... 8141516171819 LastLast
  1. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by HPD260 View Post
    I'm still voting for scuba of limba. That is an amazing finish.
    Yes it is gorgeous... And it looks like a safer bet for resale in the future... if he ever let's them go for any reason..

2. Unban nik12

Quote Originally Posted by j kuhl View Post
    The first kit that was compelling me to get something was the Movingui SC. I love the decal badge and those shells are really nice. Then I started looking at Star and was super close to ordering an ocean blue, curly maple kit. When Lonny passed, I was convinced to try to find my way into a Pearl kit and I figured wtf, may as well do this, haha.

It's not a big kit by any means but the finish is really important, otherwise I could just get a sessions studio or ref pure and be really happy. Of course, then you consider that you have control over a ridiculous number of aspects of the kit build from ply layup, shell thickness, wood species, bearing edge, hoop variety, hw type and color and its a daunting process. It's awesome to have so many choices though, I wouldn't change anything yet about this process. I can totally see you being someone that would make the most out of this program. You know what you like and want and then on top of that, you get to create your own finish, pretty cool.

I've changed my mind so many times about what kind of kit I tbought I wanted but am about to make my final decision on the shells being 4ply mahogany, with maple rerings ala the MHX and with suoerhoops. Black nickel still, way too sexy. The finish is still such a hard choice. These are the top 3 and their all neck and neck. Scuba Limba has pulled even with the pack. It looks like an aerial view of the Caribbean.

Attachment 520762

Attachment 520763
    I love the Star kits but I'd only really be interested in going with one if Bubinga was still an option. I feel like the differences between the Star and Starclassic lines are pretty marginal, but I've always loved inlay finishes, which are offered on most of the Star kits. I'm really glad that you're taking the time to select your ideal finish, I feel like that's something that not a lot of people really think about, but it's probably one of the coolest parts of the process. I think Pearl has hit the nail on the head with their customization options with picking ply layouts, thicknesses, bearing edges, hardware, etc. Most "custom" companies nowadays don't even come close to the amount of customization that Pearl offers. I'm not the biggest Pearl fan in the world, but they've always been a great company and have done a lot to help even people like me over the years. I appreciate the kind words, though! I think I'd be like a kid in a candy store if I ever got to choose my own setup and I think it would definitely be something pretty unique. I think you'll be more than happy with the MHX shell recipe, those kits sound ridiculously good. Can't wait to see the final product!
    Black Lives Matter

Tama Starclassic Maple

3. Dalmi Joedi - Jedi

I think the purple should be on top.

4. FKA Tasty808

Quote Originally Posted by dale w miller View Post
    Not gonna’ lie, I was thinking the same.

5. Usurper Title

Quote Originally Posted by Josh Conover View Post

6. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by HPD260 View Post
    I'm still voting for scuba of limba. That is an amazing finish.
    It is and very much still in the running.

Quote Originally Posted by czx View Post
    Yes it is gorgeous... And it looks like a safer bet for resale in the future... if he ever let's them go for any reason..
    C'mon C, Pearl isn't building me the Capone Jr kit hahahaha. But yeah I know, it's not for everyone hahaha. I still have to convince myself I can pull a purple kit off though too.

Quote Originally Posted by MitchLyons View Post
    I love the Star kits but I'd only really be interested in going with one if Bubinga was still an option. I feel like the differences between the Star and Starclassic lines are pretty marginal, but I've always loved inlay finishes, which are offered on most of the Star kits. I'm really glad that you're taking the time to select your ideal finish, I feel like that's something that not a lot of people really think about, but it's probably one of the coolest parts of the process. I think Pearl has hit the nail on the head with their customization options with picking ply layouts, thicknesses, bearing edges, hardware, etc. Most "custom" companies nowadays don't even come close to the amount of customization that Pearl offers. I'm not the biggest Pearl fan in the world, but they've always been a great company and have done a lot to help even people like me over the years. I appreciate the kind words, though! I think I'd be like a kid in a candy store if I ever got to choose my own setup and I think it would definitely be something pretty unique. I think you'll be more than happy with the MHX shell recipe, those kits sound ridiculously good. Can't wait to see the final product!
    The R&D Tama put into the Star hw, which found it's way into the other lines, is really awesome. One of the best tom mounting systems I've had the pleasure of using. The thick center core in the maple series, in the vein of single ply drums, was cool enough for me, to really justify the difference between the lines but yeah, they're pricey and the SCs are phenomenal drums in their own right and seem like a bargain, when comparing them price wise to Star.

It's a shame about Bubinga but when it's no longer sustainable, then not much you can do about it. I'm sure Tama and the other manufacturers, are steadily looking for the next alternative to maple and birch. Not sure another species ever caught on as much as Bubinga and Tama is pretty much responsible for that. Mahogany and Walnut are pretty revered and Beech has it's fans but Bubinga seemed poised to be the 3rd wood choice for drums until it became unusable.

Quote Originally Posted by Feenix View Post
    Funny you guys should nemtion that, as I've had the violet samples on display with the Purple on top...

7. Dalmi Joedi - Jedi

Quote Originally Posted by Feenix View Post
    Let’s face it, I have the best in taste and J Kuhl should listen to my opinion exclusively.

8. Pearl Corporation USA

scuba has been done so often, so my pics along with "Best Taste" Dale
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Pearl USA | Nashville

9. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by AL PERCIVAL View Post
    scuba has been done so often, so my pics along with "Best Taste" Dale
    It's a really tricky finish to accurately capture. There is some blue going on at the edge that I'm having a difficult time picking up in my photos. Overall it makes me wonder how much better so many of the kits I've seen on here must look in person. Photos rarely do a finish like this one justice, there's more going on than the camera (at least within my ability) conveys. Such a tough choice. Thanks for your pics Al!

10. FKA Tasty808

It's a really tricky finish to accurately capture. There is some blue going on at the edge that I'm having a difficult time picking up in my photos. Overall it makes me wonder how much better so many of the kits I've seen on here must look in person. Photos rarely do a finish like this one justice, there's more going on than the camera (at least within my ability) conveys. Such a tough choice. Thanks for your pics Al!
    Maybe post a video? It’s impossible to convey the beauty of a nice wood grain or even a sparkle with a picture. A video helps to show the depth of the wood grain and the shimmer of a sparkle finish.

11. Registered User

Maybe post a video? It’s impossible to convey the beauty of a nice wood grain or even a sparkle with a picture. A video helps to show the depth of the wood grain and the shimmer of a sparkle finish.
    That's a good idea. I'll try it!

12. Pearl Corporation USA

I like it because its different and a unique combo color. Plus it is going to look different over larger drums.

Would look great with nickel or black nickel hardware.

Pearl USA | Nashville