Pearl Drummers Forum - Powered by vBulletin

1. Registered User

Default Looking for variances in the scuba blue over tamo finish

Early on, this finish seemed much more subtle and gradual into the edges of the burst. Recent examples seem much more dramatic and the blue too vibrant in my opinion. Does anyone here have any good visual examples of this finish and it's variances? I've always been a fan of the early examples and the one time I saw this finish in person it was much more subdued and subtle than photos would suggest.

Name:  DSC00301.jpg
Views: 359
Size:  278.5 KB

Name:  2736f0e7f1149c5d29bc6288da5c0b85.jpg
Views: 326
Size:  33.7 KB

Name:  wylqfoxagpoadaeo1kbo.jpg
Views: 335
Size:  141.5 KB

The first is super blue and not to my taste. The others look better but maybe a little too vibrant.

2. Playing since 1976

Since these are Masterworks finishes, they will vary even more than Pearl's stock (numbered) finishes, because the customer can ask for a little more of this or a little less of that, etc. Ultimately, the customer has to approve a physical sample, either a rectangular "chip" or a portion of a shell (I've seen both). The sample is what the factory uses to make the kit. Those pictures you posted are definite variations of the same concept, executed differently.
    Website ===> CLICK HERE
    Reverb Listings ===> CLICK HERE
    eBay Auctions ===> CLICK HERE
    YouTube channel ===> CLICK HERE

3. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Drumming-4-Life View Post
    Since these are Masterworks finishes, they will vary even more than Pearl's stock (numbered) finishes, because the customer can ask for a little more of this or a little less of that, etc. Ultimately, the customer has to approve a physical sample, either a rectangular "chip" or a portion of a shell (I've seen both). The sample is what the factory uses to make the kit. Those pictures you posted are definite variations of the same concept, executed differently.
    No doubt and I appreciate the comments. As someone with as much experience in the process as you, I regard your input very highly. I guess I'm looking for as many different examples of this finish as possible and am seriously contemplating how it might look over black limba too. I took this photo of a guitar with a black limba veneer and rotated it in an attempt to simulate the vertical grain of Pearl's veneer. I think this could be a killer combo and the closest I've seen was a dw finished similarly but over ebony. If anyone has some good photos of scuba blue burst, I'd really appreciate seeing them here.

Name:  20201222_020731.jpg
Views: 275
Size:  28.7 KB

Name:  g3s3u3frbalrisuwnsnl.jpg
Views: 275
Size:  67.8 KB

4. Pearl Corporation USA

another variation.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Pearl Corporation USA | Nashville

5. Registered User

Thanks Al. This is what I'm looking for. When I saw this finish in person it was much creamier and more subdued than the photos would suggest. The brown of the grain was clearly visible like in this photo. I'm hopeful a similar effect could be achieved over black limba. The blue at the edge of the burst would be soooooo subtle and less of a contrast from the greener hue. The center of the burst could be natural.

Name:  Screenshot_20201223-200013_Gallery.jpg
Views: 256
Size:  26.3 KB
    Last edited by j kuhl; 12-23-2020 at 10:26 PM.

6. Playing since 1976

Quote Originally Posted by j kuhl View Post
    Thanks Al. This is what I'm looking for. When I saw this finish in person it was much creamier and more subdued than the photos would suggest. The brown of the grain was clearly visible like in this photo. I'm hopeful a similar effect could be achieved over black limba. The blue at the edge of the burst would be soooooo subtle and less of a contrast from the greener hue. The center of the burst could be natural.

Name:  Screenshot_20201223-200013_Gallery.jpg
Views: 256
Size:  26.3 KB
    After looking at a bunch of examples, I think the Scuba Blue looks better over Tamo or Quilted Maple, where the figuring and coloring seem to meld into one. When I see the Scuba over a dark figuring, like Royal Ebony, the stain and figuring seem like 2 distinct components; I either want to look at the grain, or look at the fade. The grain and fade seem like they are competing, instead of combining into a finish. That's just my perception.
    Website ===> CLICK HERE

7. Registered User

I'm picturing this but with the greenish/blue hue replacing the red in this case. The very edge of the burst would be blue but not as vibrant as some of the examples above, more like the convergence of the green into blue but only at the last 1" of the fade. It would nearly be covered by the hoops but visible enough to convey the burst. Maybe a photoshop savvy member could simulate? Black nickel hw for sure as well.

Name:  MWAC1465SBN-large.jpg
Views: 268
Size:  52.3 KB

Gloss or matte is important too and each has their merits.

8. Playing since 1976

I think that would be the only description you would need to request a finish sample. It's either free or $25, last time I checked but that's almost 7 years back.
    Website ===> CLICK HERE

9. PEARL EXX

It’s probably best to give them the description and hope they can show you a picture of how it would look before proceeding. If not you have to rely on just the description only a hope what you imagine in your head looks good in reality

10. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Drumming-4-Life View Post
    I think that would be the only description you would need to request a finish sample. It's either free or $25, last time I checked but that's almost 7 years back.
    Thanks Matt. Trying to give them the best starting point before proceeding. This is getting closer.

Name:  20201224_220239.jpg
Views: 233
Size:  59.4 KB

Name:  20201224_220521.jpg
Views: 234
Size:  63.7 KB